Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm all for more people seeing the light and moving away from oil and "natural" gas as sources of energy, especially all the conservatives who have been lied to about Climate Change (by the likes of Bill O'Reilly and all the buffoons over at Faux News). However, I'm not sure if I'm ready to allow someone as crazy as Old Man O'Reilly into the fold. This is a guy who can't explain how the tides go in and out. Don't believe me, take a look for yourself..... (skip to 1m 50s for one of the best laughs you'll have today)

O'Reilly on who really controls the climate..... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my chart for TSLA.

I really don't mean to sound whiny but living in a state of "another day, another drop" in the face all the good news coming out about Tesla is getting old. The last time we saw the stochastics flatline was in November after Q3 and the fires. This time however, it's through a stellar quarter, NHTSA all clear, high short interest, oversold indicators, etc.

Q3 was a stellar quarter too.

Any time I hear "breakthrough technology needed" I immediately discount the news to less than 0.01% of face value.

I agree. Reference was awkward. Basically the president of the company said they have awesome tech and that he thinks it would work with Tesla. Does not say he has even approached Tesla, nor would they be interested. Just a good way to get themselves in the news. And it worked...here we are talking about them.

This is a guy who can't explain how the tides go in and out. Don't believe me, take a look for yourself..... (skip to 1m 50s for one of the best laughs you'll have today)
Apologies for meandering off-topic, but this is shocking (to me.) I didn't believe you, so I had to see it for myself, but there it was: "Tides come in, tides go out; you can't explain it."

Smart and willfully ignorant is a frightening combination. Particularly when you have a devoted audience measured in the millions.

For grins, I thought I would look at how TSLA is doing vs the NASDAQ. Lately, we have had a few disheartening days when TSLA went down even though the indexes were going up.

Should we be in TSLA or QQQ ETF?

Capture1.JPG

This is a chart of the relative % difference between being invested in TSLA vs QQQ. Positive bars mean TSLA outperformed. Negative means TSLA underperformed. This is NOT a chart of total return, its a chart of return vs the index (as it happens QQQ is up 1% YTD, so it basically is total return in this case, but that's a fluke). The red line is the cumulative advantage for being in TSLA vs the index.

Now this is a chart of cumulative win/loss days. If TSLA was greater than QQQ, the score goes up 1, and if it is worse it goes down 1.

Capture2.JPG

So lately it feels lossy because it is, the stock has underperformed lately if you just measure good feeling days to bad feeling days. But, the good days are much better than the bad days so you are up 39% for the year if you have held, and only down from about 50%. (this data ignores today's close)

How about the Millions worldwide who heard Bill O'Reilly glow about Tesla last night! Finally, the left and the right see the case for Tesla's success...never thought I would live to see the day!

His schtick didn't make sense though. First he bashes the climate change report, but then says everyone should root Tesla because we need clean cheap energy. What!?! We have Tesla to get off of fossil fuels to help the dying planet, even Elon has stated this in interviews.

His schtick didn't make sense though. First he bashes the climate change report, but then says everyone should root Tesla because we need clean cheap energy. What!?! We have Tesla to get off of fossil fuels to help the dying planet, even Elon has stated this in interviews.
On the other hand, if O'Reilly had just come out and said that, his audience would have thought he had lost his mind. I'm actually glad he framed it the way he did, because it's way more effective. It's an argument made by "one of them", surrounded by language "they" agree with. A Trojan argument, so to speak.

It makes sense from the O'Reilly perspective for the following reasons:

Clean cheap energy is beneficial to businesses and consumers. Also, many conservatives do not like the fact that the United States is susceptible to oil price shocks that could be caused by Middle East crisis, Russia, or other unfriendly nations.

One doesn't need to believe the science of climate change in order to support Tesla. Also, Elon Musk is the model citizen for conservatives: an immigrant who came to the shining city with almost nothing, got an education, and built industries worth billions of $.

On the other hand, if O'Reilly had just come out and said that, his audience would have thought he had lost his mind. I'm actually glad he framed it the way he did, because it's way more effective. It's an argument made by "one of them", surrounded by language "they" agree with. A Trojan argument, so to speak.

Ha. I guess so....that side just needs to have the balls to stand up for what is right.

- - - Updated - - -

It makes sense from the O'Reilly perspective for the following reasons:

Clean cheap energy is beneficial to businesses and consumers. Also, many conservatives do not like the fact that the United States is susceptible to oil price shocks that could be caused by Middle East crisis, Russia, or other unfriendly nations.

One doesn't need to believe the science of climate change in order to support Tesla. Also, Elon Musk is the model citizen for conservatives: an immigrant who came to the shining city with almost nothing, got an education, and built industries worth billions of $.

Yeah yeah, I get that. I get he was supporting Tesla for "business" reasons. He just bashed one of the reasons Elon created the company first, so he looked like a dumbass to me. He was selling a product he has no clue about....but whatever gets people to switch to EVs! amiright!?! :)

Apologies for meandering off-topic, but this is shocking (to me.) I didn't believe you, so I had to see it for myself, but there it was: "Tides come in, tides go out; you can't explain it."

Smart and willfully ignorant is a frightening combination. Particularly when you have a devoted audience measured in the millions.

Not totally off-topic because at some point, public perception and EV adoption does affect TSLA price movements.

With O'Reilly all of a sudden taking a pro-Tesla position, I can't help but be skeptical of him and his intentions in this matter. Let alone believe anything else he has to say. O'Reilly is a person who's scientific understanding of the natural world is less than that of a 5th grader (here in the US) and he's leading others who's scientific literacy is lower than his. On top of that, when faced with facts that contradict his ideology, he doubles down on the false information.

Knowing all of this about him, he's isn't exactly the next person I want to see cheering Tesla on.

Not totally off-topic because at some point, public perception and EV adoption does affect TSLA price movements.

With O'Reilly all of a sudden taking a pro-Tesla position, I can't help but be skeptical of him and his intentions in this matter. Let alone believe anything else he has to say. O'Reilly is a person who's scientific understanding of the natural world is less than that of a 5th grader (here in the US) and he's leading others who's scientific literacy is lower than his. On top of that, when faced with facts that contradict his ideology, he doubles down on the false information.

Knowing all of this about him, he's isn't exactly the next person I want to see cheering Tesla on.

Or MAYBEEEEEE, the Tesla philosophy is so simple even O'Reilly can understand it!!!

O'Reilly was just praising Tesla again tonight, I didn't catch the whole segment... Eric Bolling was arguing Tesla only survived because of the government loan, blah blah blah.

It really bothers me when these guys on the right-wing present the government loan, a loan that was paid back in full with interest, as a negative factor in Tesla's success. If it weren't for government subsidies like tax breaks, much of the mega corporations that exists here in the US would not be sitting on the mountains of money that they're currently sitting on.

Or MAYBEEEEEE, the Tesla philosophy is so simple even O'Reilly can understand it!!!

Model S's are indeed magical. No need to think hard when trying to understand something magical. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

simpler than the tides;
Tesla comes, then goes, and goes, and goes...

Ok ok you win lol! :biggrin:

I threw my back out last week and I'm in tremendous pain and that made me laugh so hard but it was totally worth it. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.