Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some additional details on Adam Jonas' warning - this time from streetinsider.com. The synopsis does not change: "be prepared to buy the dip". Good luck to all the longs.

It could be that these analysts are purposely inserting language to try and create a sense of uncertainty, so that institutions can buy when you sell, thinking that "this dip" is imminent bc "everyone else" is taking Aj's warning at face value.. his guess or anyone else's at this moment is as good as mine and yours. If you've held the past seven months waiting for the sort of good news that we all are anticipating, selling now in large numbers would create that dip. But with all the mumblings and rumors we've been hearing the past several days (with very strong supporting evidence) are you willing to give up the potential upside if that moment you've been waiting for arrives tomorrow?

The reward for holding is just around the corner and if no announcement arrives tomorrow, my shares will be more valuable as that announcement I've been anticipating will inch closer and closer until it's imminent. If you are leveraging the bulk of your bets on tomorrow, good luck.. but I would highly advise you to roll out your bets a little longer just in case. After Goldman walked away with $12 billion dollars selling nonsense double/triple A ratings to the public and simultaneously betting against AIG after the Great Recession, I am not trusting any of their words, and this goes the same for Morgan Stanly, BOA, etc.. I'm going with my gut, no luck needed here, just time ;)

Also, I can recall grumblings after recent ERs regarding relative street disappointment given outlandish whisper numbers and investor sentiment going into the reports. Particularly on TMC, there was an effort to mute enthusiasm in attempt to curb this. Well, now we have several being quite cautious going into this ER, but most agree that the numbers are not likely to be as important as the CC/guidance/GF/MX - the details of which none of us know (but feel free to PM me if you do!)

It actually seems more palatable to be long now going into this ER than previous ones if only for this reason.

Interesting to see many being cautious for this ER (and it's so quite here). Gives me more confidence to hold what I already have knowing IF there is any "dip" that some of you will buy that and we'll recover in no time :) I'm not going to try to time the dip, instead I'm going to hold on and think long term. Good luck tomorrow!

So is anyone going to listen to Panasonic earnings call tonight? I guess that may release some news?
So far panasonic is looking to get 2 trillion from the autobattery sales by 2019, but there's no mention of what they will invest in the factory. On the conference call in discussion regarding "growth strategies" they sound like they want to make some investments but they have to "go through the normal, proper channels and these consider the ratings", this is in regard to financing "larger investments". They would "like to make the larger investments but have to consider the ratings" "these will be made in a timely manner, and there is a healthy discussion internally"- the credit ratings, later clarified, said at ~5-5:45 into the english translation of the Panasonic earnings tonight. I wonder if that's a reference to the poor credit rating that Tesla received earlier this year? They never said explicitly that it was tesla, but rather "large investments that they would like to pursue".

Last edited:
Panasonic report on Automotive division
profit up 50%
Segment profit was 85.7 billion yen, up by 56.2 billion yen from a year ago due mainly to favorable sales in automotive-related businesses, the return to profitability of the portable rechargeable battery business and the positive impact of yen depreciation.

There is a second reference to tesla at about 30 min. Sales of batteries will "increase, this fiscal year fiscal 14 tesla will sell 23000 and next year, if i can recall, it will be increased to about 40,000 level, that was the plan announced by tesla, these numbers symbolize that profit (of the panasonic battery segment) will increase".

Sounds like they have the numbers wrong, as i thought 23000 for 2013 and 35000 for 2014- how are they out of touch like that?

Yea, I have just seen it as well:)
Question: What is the substantial new info?
What I see is:
- No longer only "letter of intent", but now "signed agreement".
- "The Gigafactory will produce cells, modules and packs for Tesla's electric vehicles and for the stationary storage market."
- Numbers officially stated: "The Gigafactory is planned to produce 35GWh of cells and 50GWh of packs per year by 2020."
- Numbers officially stated: "Tesla projects that the Gigafactory will employ about 6,500 people by 2020."

Last edited:

Some people might say that there isn't anything new here, and they'd be right. But that doesn't mean this isn't a big deal. It's a confirmation of the rumors of the deal. It also shows that Tesla is continuing to make progress. I'm also fairly confident now that Tesla will have lots more to share about the GF in the conference call tomorrow. Hoping for a good day on Thursday and an even better Friday! :)

I'm new to options. I mean the ER is after hours. Is it typical for a pre ER or post ER peak in this scenario?

If the stock goes above 260 you'll be stoked. If it doesn't, they'll be worth nothing. They will in all likelihood be worth more before earnings than after, because before earnings there's still a chance they'll go up, but after earnings then the volatility event has already passed and its unlikely for them to make a huge jump. So if they're worth anything and you think it won't make it to 260, sell them. If they're worth nothing, keep them just in case, because why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.