Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
China Said to Consider $16 Billion EV Charging Funding

China is considering providing as much as 100 billion yuan ($16 billion) in government funding to build more charging facilities and spur demand for electric vehicles, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The policy will be announced soon, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private. The people declined to provide further details of the plan such as how long the program would last or whether the chargers would be compatible with cars made by Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA)

China Said to Consider $16 Billion EV Charging Funding - Bloomberg

China Said to Consider $16 Billion EV Charging Funding

China is considering providing as much as 100 billion yuan ($16 billion) in government funding to build more charging facilities and spur demand for electric vehicles, according to two people familiar with the matter.
The policy will be announced soon, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private. The people declined to provide further details of the plan such as how long the program would last or whether the chargers would be compatible with cars made by Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA)

China Said to Consider $16 Billion EV Charging Funding - Bloomberg

The scale of such investment would be truly gargantuan: as an example to demonstrate the scope, at $150,000 a pop, it could pay for 106,666 Tesla superchargers! If China will incorporate this plan, the impact on EV penetration will be revolutionary.

The scale of such investment would be truly gargantuan: as an example to demonstrate the scope, at $150,000 a pop, it could pay for 106,666 Tesla superchargers! If China will incorporate this plan, the impact on EV penetration will be revolutionary.

As another point of reference, there are 121,446 gasoline stations in US. There are 95,000 to 97,000 gas filling stations in China. The $16B would essentially pay for a complete replacement of gasoline stations with charging stations for the whole country!

This would be truly revolutionary program.

Gas Station Statistics | Statistic Brain

Filling station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Might not be so much fantasyland to imagine a Chinese car factory, Chinese Gigafactory, 100s of Chinese stores and service centers, and a revolutionary Chinese charging infrastructure coming together in the near future. Tesla is at the center of some of this but if it's at the center of all of it, buckle up.

Might not be so much fantasyland to imagine a Chinese car factory, Chinese Gigafactory, 100s of Chinese stores and service centers, and a revolutionary Chinese charging infrastructure coming together in the near future. Tesla is at the center of some of this but if it's at the center of all of it, buckle up.

News about Mobileye, hints that two automakers are close to semi-autonomous highway driving (and cites Elon afterwards). As a reminder, Elon said in the spring this year we'd have on-ramp to off-ramp within a year.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12856532/1/how-mobileeye-drives-auto-industry-to-its-iphone-moment.html

The company also believes its radar, sensor, microchip and camera technologies will allow it be the first to develop a semi-autonomous driving car at highway speeds. MobilEye is designing the first system for hands-free driving at highway speeds with two automakers, which it expects to launch in 2016.

The charging standard is not finalized yet, but Tesla already committed to be compatible. I'm wondering why the supercharger rollout plan is still not clear in China. Probably the answer is Tesla might rely on this government backed charger network, so it saves big $$$ for such infrastructure investment.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't count on Elon's timeline so much. Elon said early this year during EU visit that some exciting stuff will be demonstrated in this summer for "autonomous" driving. But nothing happened later on.

News about Mobileye, hints that two automakers are close to semi-autonomous highway driving (and cites Elon afterwards). As a reminder, Elon said in the spring this year we'd have on-ramp to off-ramp within a year.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1285...rives-auto-industry-to-its-iphone-moment.html

The company also believes its radar, sensor, microchip and camera technologies will allow it be the first to develop a semi-autonomous driving car at highway speeds. MobilEye is designing the first system for hands-free driving at highway speeds with two automakers, which it expects to launch in 2016.

So see this is exactly the kind of Tuesday intraday trading that I was talking about before. Even though today should continue to be not just an "up" day, but a HUGE "up" day... it falls backwards... rises back up for the standard lunch afternoon jump and then falls back again. Even though we have pretty much stayed above the close from yesterday, it just isn't wanting to go anywhere special. Will today be positive? most likely... but SOMETHING happens on Tuesdays that causes this huge battle to be waged by the bear side that keeps dragging the price down...

We have the Jurvetson interview, the news from china, the news from mobileye, the dow is breaking through new barriers... plus the continued positives from Tesla regarding the comments yesterday... That price this morning of 264.91 was totally what I would have expected on any other day of the week, only for it to either stay relatively flat (like yesterday) or continue on a steady climb up.

This Tuesday stuff isn't nonsense... SOMETHING is causing it...
chart1.PNG

I circled the Tuesdays in blue to see what I am talking about just going back 11 weeks (mostly got lazy circling them).

Note I don't particularly care if the day is "positive" based on closing price to closing price... That is not the point of the Tuesday mystery... the point is what happens DURING the day.
Only 3 were positive days... (for those not familiar, hollow symbols means the close was higher than the open)
7 were red days (meaning it was actually a loss from the previous closing price).

But. Also look at the surrounding days with it... don't just take the day in isolation. With strong exception of the huge jump on June 17th (which was still riding on the coattails of the patent news) look at the rest, when the price IS positive, it is a very small gain. Look at the tails on a lot of those days, you will see that intraday trading drives the price all over the place in many cases...

So today, is following that mystery, where you can clearly see the price action and pressure to move the price in a negative direction.

Tell me I am not the only one seeing this...

Last edited:
I'm not sure if my eyeball catches what you are seeing on this chart, but anecdotally Tuesday has always been bad for tesla. I have seen spot selling in large amounts today, and I always interpret that to be an attempt to take the price down. If you didn't want to take the price down and you simply wanted out, you would spread out your sell orders much smaller so you don't take a loss on the sale. I bought each of the dips today and grabbed 272.5 weeklies, I feel like tesla isn't moving in response to the chinese news, and I figure we have a gigafactory offer in the next 48 hours from california.

One more thought, is as I have gone back even farther this trend starts to get a little harder to stick to being something of significance. But for at least the past 17 weeks I only see 3 days which would press against that notion and even at that, there is a decent upper shadow on those days. Most likely they are tied to significant events (I know one is, as stated it was riding on day two after the patent news...)

The only day that totally strikes me as odd is May 12... it has no lower shadow and a very small upper shadow and even the days around it look odd... since most of the gains were claimed ON the 12th, verses the surrounding 11th and the 13th... The only news I am seeing off hand for that day was that Tesla was ending their toyota RAV4 contract... why that would have an affect on the stock like that is beyond me... We were coming off the bottom and I guess people took that as an excuse to jump?

Anyway, that is the only REALLY strange Tuesday, going back 17 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if my eyeball catches what you are seeing on this chart, but anecdotally Tuesday has always been bad for tesla. I have seen spot selling in large amounts today, and I always interpret that to be an attempt to take the price down. If you didn't want to take the price down and you simply wanted out, you would spread out your sell orders much smaller so you don't take a loss on the sale. I bought each of the dips today and grabbed 272.5 weeklies, I feel like tesla isn't moving in response to the chinese news, and I figure we have a gigafactory offer in the next 48 hours from california.

Sorry, I thought it was in this thread that the Tuesday thing was brought up and I think it was jhm that pulled numbers which was indicating that the Tuesday thing was just superstitious nonsense (he did not say that... but his numbers were certainly indicating it by showing Tuesday being on average a positive day and Wednesday actually being the losing choice), so after seeing today's intraday price action it got me thinking about it again... and wanted to comment.

Maybe I am just being superstitious... but Tuesdays seem like a great day if you are looking to buy.

One more thought, is as I have gone back even farther this trend starts to get a little harder to stick to being something of significance. But for at least the past 17 weeks I only see 3 days which would press against that notion and even at that, there is a decent upper shadow on those days. Most likely they are tied to significant events (I know one is, as stated it was riding on day two after the patent news...)

The only day that totally strikes me as odd is May 12... it has no lower shadow and a very small upper shadow and even the days around it look odd... since most of the gains were claimed ON the 12th, verses the surrounding 11th and the 13th... The only news I am seeing off hand for that day was that Tesla was ending their toyota RAV4 contract... why that would have an affect on the stock like that is beyond me... We were coming off the bottom and I guess people took that as an excuse to jump?

Anyway, that is the only REALLY strange Tuesday, going back 17 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I thought it was in this thread that the Tuesday thing was brought up and I think it was jhm that pulled numbers which was indicating that the Tuesday thing was just superstitious nonsense (he did not say that... but his numbers were certainly indicating it by showing Tuesday being on average a positive day and Wednesday actually being the losing choice), so after seeing today's intraday price action it got me thinking about it again... and wanted to comment.

Maybe I am just being superstitious... but Tuesdays seem like a great day if you are looking to buy.

looks like "Tesla Tuesday" alive and well today

Historically, does the "Tesla Tuesday" theory hold up on Tuesdays after the National Holidays that fall on a Monday (MLK Day, Memorial Day, and Labor Day)?

Last edited:

Is there an imminent deadline for California regarding the Gigafactory this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.