Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions on the upcoming NHTSA announcement;

Which sources will be among the first to report on the announcement?
What time of the day will it come out?

It'll probably be Tesla or the NHTSA announcing. My understanding is if it's a recall the NHTSA usually works with the auto maker to allow them to handle the announcement. If it's not a recall, then I think it could be either Tesla or the NHTSA announcing.

If Tesla announces then they'll likely put out a press release on their website. I'd imagine it would be after hours but you never know. If it's NHTSA announcing they'll likely issue a press release. The press release would be picked up by various news outlets and people will be talking about it on Twitter.

As you guys make fun of me and call me names, TSLA's price seems to be going higher. Maybe the bots like what you're doing.

I am, for one, eternally thankful Dave - I have averaged down my position of Feb 28 $190 calls down to $7.16. Ready to watch it growing greener by hour...

This of course, does not mean that I commit to making no jokes at your expense :biggrin:

Dave T and Norse: Thanks for the links. We all know the model S is the safe, safer, safest car on the road. Ok, I will stop now. One more...... safe

Oh boy...posted original at 1:06, now 1:10 and going up for at least the time being

Last edited:
Wasn't there a story out there where some guy realized how to take advantage of a pre-programmed bot and made money at the bot's expense? My understanding is that the bot owner sued him and won.

I am not sure if the story is true, but if you program an algo-bot, then the risk should be 100% yours. I understand that if you were to steal the algorithmic code and use it to your advantage, but if you just think that there is a bot out there then you should be able to take advantage of it to your own liking if you figure it out via trial and error.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a story out there where some guy realized how to take advantage of a pre-programmed bot and made money at the bot's expense? My understanding is that the bot owner sued him and won.

I am not sure if the story is true, but if you program an algo-bot, then the risk should be 100% yours. I understand that if you were to steal the algorithmic code and use it to your advantage, but if you just think that there is a bot out there then you should be able to take advantage of it to your own liking if you figure it out via trial and error.

Since it makes sense then I am sure one could be in legal trouble over it. (apologies to any TMC lawyers)

What did the bot owner sue him for? Is there some set of rules for dealing with bots?

(Something like: "Do not take advantage of a bot's shortcomings" ?) ;)

Maybe I missed it, but don't know why no one here it talking about this:

http://www.streetinsider.com/Analyst+Comments/Tesla+Motors+(TSLA)+Could+Build+Mega+Battery+Factory+in+New+Mexico+-+Analyst/9129124.html

Global Equities Research analyst Trip Chowdhry is convinced that Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) will likely build a "Mega" battery factory soon.

The analyst sees the factory having 30 gigawatts of production capacity per year. This would make it the biggest in the industry, even bigger than the current total production of capacity Non-Metal-Air Battery (Lithium-Ion) in China, Korea and Japan, all taken together.

He sees the factory being built in New Mexico and sees the company partnering with both Panasonic and Sanyo on the build out.

In addition to its traditional battery, Tesla may also manufacture Hybrid Battery Pack, which includes both Metal-Air Battery as well as Non-Metal Air Battery. He sees the 2015 Model S getting a possible 10% to 15% increase in driving range – driven primarily by innovations in Battery Packs, including Hybrid Battery Pack.

The firm maintained an Overweight rating and price target of $225 on Tesla.

For an analyst ratings summary and ratings history on Tesla Motors click here. For more ratings news on Tesla Motors click here.

Shares of Tesla Motors closed at $178.73 yesterday, with a 52 week range of $33.80-$194.50.

I am not sure about we are talking about the same guy, but two daytraders did that in Norway and the got sued. They lost, but won after an appeal.

I'm curious if respondents are presented a list of automakers, or if they are meant to supply their own? If the latter, then this is a phenomenal response for Tesla, which is still not nearly as well-known as the others. Even if the former, many people still don't know about the car, so Tesla's results are certainly being held down by that.

Last edited:
I'm curious if respondents are presented a list of automakers, or if they are meant to supply their own? If the latter, then this is a phenomenal response for Tesla, which is still not nearly as well-known as the others. Even if the former, many people still don't know about the car, so Tesla's results are certainly being held down by that.

Random calls were made by CR. The respondents were asked to name as many car brands as they and then CR asked them to rate certain things about the car/manufacturer. USA today's account of the survey spells that out.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...uar-perception-chevrolet-ford-toyota/5208685/

As I understand it, respondents are invited to talk about seven different qualities of whatever car brand comes to mind including very safe best safety really very safe safest ideal for safe family journey in safety with excellent occupant safety as in safest car on the road.

This is a huge response bearing in mind the responses will be heavily skewed towards owners justifying their own car purchase. I think it also speaks to Tesla being an aspirational brand for a great many people who do not currently own the car.

The CR survey of Tesla Model S owners was already done and the satisfaction rating topped all time charts.

Random calls were made by CR. The respondents were asked to name as many car brands as they and then CR asked them to rate certain things about the car/manufacturer. USA today's account of the survey spells that out.

Were they then corrected for how often people picked brands? Like if you called 10 people and only one of them knew about Tesla, and gave them full marks in every category, would Tesla then have scored a 100% or a 10%? If the former, then that's slightly disappointing but at least we know we have good brand evangelists (as if there were any question), and if the latter then as far as I'm concerned Tesla won that survey, because their results would have been held back by the large number of people who have never heard of them.

I suspect it's more towards the latter, given that Tesla made such a huge jump this year, which is probably explained by all the coverage. If it was the former then Tesla would have scored just as high or even higher last year, because the only people who knew about it were evangelists.

My skim of the USA Today article doesn't seem to answer this question...though it says "The overall score is a blend of how each brand did and how important each of the categories is to people." I'm not sure if there's an additional component ranking how often the brands came up in questioning...

Well, regardless, good news and it's being reported well too. Not the type of thing I think will move the stock, but the type of thing which will help introduce people to the brand and make it seem like a legitimate player, which can only help to drive long-term demand.

edit: very good point Julian about people skewing towards big brands to justify their own car purchase.

People were asked to name brands, then were questioned about those brands. They were not read a list of auto brands.
As part of the process, people were asked to name the brands that they thought were stellar in seven categories: quality, safety, performance, value, fuel economy, design/style, technology/innovation.

Seems like enough people mentioned Tesla to get it into 5th place in this survey. That's pretty amazing.

Mind you, I've done everything I can to showcase the car and the company to people since I got it. All my friends walk away impressed with the in-car experience and the design of it. I imagine people getting called for this survey might mention Tesla even though they had no intention to buy, but were impressed by what they're heard or experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.