Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are both right and wrong here. I'll talk you down.

So, here's the thing. Yes, you are completely right, there will be a doubling of battery technology in the next ten years, and a 40% (or something) increase by the time the gigafactory opens. This is most assuredly going to happen. This is why Tesla keeps saying they'll have a 30% cost reduction, and why Elon even says he thinks they can probably do better. I think they will. I think 30% is a conservative estimate.

However, this isn't actually big news. For the last 30 years or more, battery technology has been improving at between 5-14% per year (depends on who you ask, I usually quote 7-10%). Tesla has known this since the start, and has said it on many occasions, and rested their entire business plan on it. That's the point of going expensive car -> less expensive car -> even less expensive car. Because they knew battery tech would get better and cheaper, steadily, over time.

So this isn't any sort of secret signal, it's just an acknowledgement of trends which Tesla has acknowledged many times before. Now, it certainly can be true that we, as investors, can understand this before the rest of wall street does, or while wall street is skeptical and thinks that Tesla's claims are coming out of nowhere because they don't understand technology. But this isn't a special hint of some secret plan Tesla has, it's just JB reminding everyone that this technology stuff is real and the curves are easy to extrapolate. Unlike the above discussion about charting, these are things which *can* be extrapolated pretty reliably ;-)

I don't believe this has anything to do with a new battery technology, but hey, it might....

yes- I agree with your talk-down position and a good cautionary note. The price reduction is largely not a new chemistry or battery breakthrough situation. Of course that means it's more assuredly going to happen. I will note however a couple of special cost reduction adders that give the GF a (large) edge in that regard. Tesla batteries are already starting cheaper than any currently available, so the next step down he's talking about (30%+) is from that level, not what others are at currently. That's a harder nut to crack that the current industry reductions. In addition, nobody has really leveraged supply chain ground up through full pack in a single large factory-sourcing-operation utilizing the latest production methods, eliminating middle profits, using solar to cut costs of factory, etc/ etc. The resultant 30-40% achieved on top of current tesla batteries is going to be beyond what others can do- regardless of using the same basic chemistry.

Also, with stationary storage, I surmise they are actually adjusting the chemistry (not changing the basics, but adopting some new proportions) that cut even further (50%) for that application. I suspect the 2 location start for 1 GF is a head-fake and they'll end up doing 2 in a stagger. Bottom line- I agree with your cautionary assessment, but relative to current competition (and 3 years from now), Flux's we're gonna wipe the floor is pretty accurate I think

Good news from Germany:

Germany April 2014 registration numbers for cars:
total electric car registrations April 2014: +25,8% compared to April 2013.
Even in germany the numbers are starting going up! I'm excited about the May 2014 numbers!

Unbenannt.PNG

Also, with stationary storage, I surmise they are actually adjusting the chemistry (not changing the basics, but adopting some new proportions) that cut even further (50%) for that application. I suspect the 2 location start for 1 GF is a head-fake and they'll end up doing 2 in a stagger. Bottom line- I agree with your cautionary assessment, but relative to current competition (and 3 years from now), Flux's we're gonna wipe the floor is pretty accurate I think

Utility "Demand Charges" are absolutely exorbitant. California's grid energy storage mandate will drive the demand (pun intended) for SolarCity's DemandLogic products. As businesses grow to understand this advantage, Tesla's growth will become explosive. The completion of the Gigafactory will be a game-changer.

I appreciate folks trying to tak me down--I have no interest in hyping anything--but let's keep an important distinction in mind between cost reduction ($/kWh) and performance in energy density (Wh/kg). Tesla has been quite clear about the gigafactory to achieve a 30% cost reduction without any new technology. This is achievable through better economy of scale and co-location of the supply chain, lots of little gains in process efficiency. No question about this.

What startles me is that JB is talking about performance gains, that energy density specifically is continuing to advance at the rate of 40% every 5 years (= 100% in 10 years). From Roadster to Model S is 5 years. From Model S to Gigafactory (2017) is another 5 years. Will we see another 40% performance gain in this timeframe and in addition to all the blocking and tackling noted above?

What could a 40% gain in energy density do for Tesla? Take today's 60 kWh pack. It gets about 3.5 miles/kWh, or about 210 miles range. For the same weight pack, 40% more density would result in 84 kWh and a range of 294 miles. This would be even better than today's 85 kWh because the miles per kWh should be about 3.5, up from about 3.2. So the higher density pack would improve both range and energy efficiency. Maybe charge times per mile range could also come down a bit.

So much more is at stake with a gain in performance than just a cost reduction. If we could get both a 30% cost reduction through process efficiency gain AND a 40% performance gain through improved technology, then the combined reduction in $/kWh could be as much as 50% (= 100% - 70%/140%). So Musk often says he can get a 30% cost reduction without new technology. That's enough information to sell bonds, but he also says it may be possible to realize a 50% cost reduction. It seems to me that the difference between 30% and 50% could well be a timely advance in technology.

Of course, I'll be delighted just to see the Gigafactory crank out 50 GWh of packs per year at 30% below the cost today. That is enough to disrupt both auto and stationary energy storage markets. Good luck to us all.

Utility "Demand Charges" are absolutely exorbitant. California's grid energy storage mandate will drive the demand (pun intended) for SolarCity's DemandLogic products. As businesses grow to understand this advantage, Tesla's growth will become explosive. The completion of the Gigafactory will be a game-changer.

agree with that- can't happen fast enough

I suspect the 2 location start for 1 GF is a head-fake and they'll end up doing 2 in a stagger. Bottom line- I agree with your cautionary assessment, but relative to current competition (and 3 years from now), Flux's we're gonna wipe the floor is pretty accurate I think
My thoughts as well. Elon:cool: was talking about a demand for hundreds of gigafactories. Positioning few locations in competitive race may be very effective way to leverage bargaining power, reduce the risk and speed up the process. How clever.

There is no icon for brilliance in icon's library so Elon gets cool face.

I can't wait for that wiping the floor bit :biggrin:

Last edited:
My thoughts as well. Elon:cool: was talking about a demand for hundreds of gigafactories. Positioning few locations in competitive race may be very effective way to leverage bargaining power, reduce the risk and speed up the process. How clever.

There is no icon for brilliance in icon's library so Elon gets cool face.

I can't wait for that wiping the floor bit :biggrin:

I definitely see both sites being developed. Tesla could grow by 40% or more for the next 15 years. So 2 or 3 years after GF1 opens, GF2 will need to open. One or two years later, GF3. The next year, GF4. The next year, GF5 and GF6. And so on. What the industry does not recognize is that the race for gigafactories has already begun. Musk believes that half of all autos sold in 2030 will be EVs. This is a goth rate of about 56% per year, and this will require the equivalent of 100 gigafactories be built over the next 15 years, a $500B investment. The automakers with the gigafactories will survive. The others will die in the following decade. So the race has already begun.

I definitely see both sites being developed. Tesla could grow by 40% or more for the next 15 years. So 2 or 3 years after GF1 opens, GF2 will need to open. One or two years later, GF3. The next year, GF4. The next year, GF5 and GF6. And so on. What the industry does not recognize is that the race for gigafactories has already begun. Musk believes that half of all autos sold in 2030 will be EVs. This is a goth rate of about 56% per year, and this will require the equivalent of 100 gigafactories be built over the next 15 years, a $500B investment. The automakers with the gigafactories will survive. The others will die in the following decade. So the race has already begun.
I would expect Tesla's organic growth to be in excess of 40% for the next 15 years.

Tesla makes cars which are superior to comparable ice cars, making a choice for drivers very easy. Tesla's rate of growth is only limited by their own ability, as there seems to be no meaningful competition on the horizon.

Just wanted to get a chart up with a few comments. As always, take it or leave it.

Looks like this coming week will be interesting as it will either confirm or reject our breakout from the red channel, the one we've been in since the ATH. The 50dma and 80dma might provide some downwards resistance as well. I have no idea which way it will go, but I am leaning towards a confirmation of the breakout and more upwards or horizontal movement. For the record, I am by no means acting on that prediction and Im not suggesting others do either. In fact, now that I've publically called it, its probably advisable to do the opposite.

Here is something I never do, a cold hard unashamed prediction: See those purple arcs? Be on the lookout for everyone and their mother to start calling a "Head and Shoulders" formation as soon as we start approaching ATHs again.

And yes, TA and Charting is all worthless witchcraft or magical unicorn fairy tales... I get it.

71sPjP1z.png

Just wanted to get a chart up with a few comments. As always, take it or leave it.

Looks like this coming week will be interesting as it will either confirm or reject our breakout from the red channel, the one we've been in since the ATH. The 50dma and 80dma might provide some downwards resistance as well. I have no idea which way it will go, but I am leaning towards a confirmation of the breakout and more upwards or horizontal movement. For the record, I am by no means acting on that prediction and Im not suggesting others do either. In fact, now that I've publically called it, its probably advisable to do the opposite.

Here is something I never do, a cold hard unashamed prediction: See those purple arcs? Be on the lookout for everyone and their mother to start calling a "Head and Shoulders" formation as soon as we start approaching ATHs again.

And yes, TA and Charting is all worthless witchcraft or magical unicorn fairy tales... I get it.

71sPjP1z.png
Maybe it is witchcraft but I see some artistic streaks there:wink:, all these nice colorful lines

My trading tool (see my avatar) predicts move up in few weeks:biggrin:

I appreciate folks trying to tak me down--I have no interest in hyping anything--but let's keep an important distinction in mind between cost reduction ($/kWh) and performance in energy density (Wh/kg). Tesla has been quite clear about the gigafactory to achieve a 30% cost reduction without any new technology. This is achievable through better economy of scale and co-location of the supply chain, lots of little gains in process efficiency. No question about this.

What startles me is that JB is talking about performance gains, that energy density specifically is continuing to advance at the rate of 40% every 5 years (= 100% in 10 years). From Roadster to Model S is 5 years. From Model S to Gigafactory (2017) is another 5 years. Will we see another 40% performance gain in this timeframe and in addition to all the blocking and tackling noted above?

What could a 40% gain in energy density do for Tesla? Take today's 60 kWh pack. It gets about 3.5 miles/kWh, or about 210 miles range. For the same weight pack, 40% more density would result in 84 kWh and a range of 294 miles. This would be even better than today's 85 kWh because the miles per kWh should be about 3.5, up from about 3.2. So the higher density pack would improve both range and energy efficiency. Maybe charge times per mile range could also come down a bit.

So much more is at stake with a gain in performance than just a cost reduction. If we could get both a 30% cost reduction through process efficiency gain AND a 40% performance gain through improved technology, then the combined reduction in $/kWh could be as much as 50% (= 100% - 70%/140%). So Musk often says he can get a 30% cost reduction without new technology. That's enough information to sell bonds, but he also says it may be possible to realize a 50% cost reduction. It seems to me that the difference between 30% and 50% could well be a timely advance in technology.

Of course, I'll be delighted just to see the Gigafactory crank out 50 GWh of packs per year at 30% below the cost today. That is enough to disrupt both auto and stationary energy storage markets. Good luck to us all.

Sorry jhm, I have to talk you down one more time. The 7-10% improvement is supposed to be inclusive of everything. So you either get cost or energy density or some mix of those, but not both at the same time multiplying together. Use the example of the Roadster - Roadster batteries cost about 40k when they came out, and they were 53kWh, and 1,000lbs, roughly. Model S batteries, 4-5 years later, cost about 40k, are 85kWh, and 1,000lbs. Roughly. So you got your 40% improvement, but it was in density rather than cost - more power, same weight, same price. The cost improvements for the car came from scale and materials. Now switching over to Model E, they're going to downsize the car, downsize the battery, and focus on saving cost. So maybe you'll end up back at 40kWh or something, costing 13k, and weighing 500lbs. Just pulling those numbers out of nowhere in particular, for example purposes, but they seem like fair rough guesses. That way you're saving ~35% but keeping about the same energy density. I mean I'm sure there will be some mix of this happening, but the battery improvement numbers aren't going to compound in the way you've described. I mean, they might, maybe battery technology will advance faster now that more people are working on it (some report said it improved by 14% over the course of a year, in like 2012 or something?), but I really don't think Tesla is going to be able to push that number so much quicker ahead than the way technology has been moving all along. Plenty of people have had plenty of motivation to make denser and smaller and cheaper battery cells for all sorts of consumer electronics for decades now. Tesla has just had the smart move of leveraging that (by using commodity 18650 cells) rather than starting fresh on their own. For what it's worth JB and Elon both have said numbers ranging from 5-10% in terms of total yearly improvement and these are essentially the numbers they use in their forecasting estimates, and where Elon is getting his "probably a bit better than 30%" forecast.

As for other people's input on this (kenliles, and someone else?), yes, Tesla certainly has a benefit right now in terms of cost and density, mainly because they went with commodity cells instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. And the process and supply chain improvements of the gigafactory will be significant, also savings in terms of supplier profit margin, but not enormous, again because the cells are commodity so the profit margin is not hugely enormous to begin with, esp. since they're partnering with Panasonic who I'm sure will want to get a taste. But basically, put all these things together, and this is why Elon is fairly confident that they can hit a bit more than 30%. Because close to 30% is already baked in by the standard march of technology (inclusive of weight, cost, whatever), which Tesla will be helping to lead of course, and then on top of that there are the additional benefits of having their own factory.

Also, yeah, the wapo article is a bit silly, I just linked it for the graph really. I think it was an old article anyway.

So anyway this battery stuff is a big deal for sure. But it's just a constant grind of technology, it's important to recognize and see how the curves are easily converging on EVs being better than gas, the same way that solar technology is converging in terms of cost per kWh, and when you see that information you are better informed than most people. But there's no real big secret to Tesla's actions here, it's just regular old good business and spotting of trends in your industry.

Last edited:
Moderator's Note: ​A couple of posts were sent here: China Market situation and outlook
and a block of posts on the GF are here: Tesla Gigafactory Investor Thread

I know it's tempting just to put all of our thinking into one thread, but (a) we'll never be able to find it again in a month and (b) it makes it really hard to have a sensible conversation. Thanks for your help in keeping the conversation appropriately threaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.