Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...this might put a damper on our hopes for inclusion in the S&P 500. I'm not sure how those two arms of the agency interact, but this seems like it would make that less likely...

I spoke a few months ago with a friend who is an executive at S&P. He assured me that there are walls separating those who rate stocks and bonds from those who determine which companies are added or deleted from the S&P 500.

There were only 19,000 shares traded after hours today. The price action is meaningless.

The S&P rating of Tesla Motors debt appeared in the TSLA news section of my TD Ameritrade account through Dow Jones an hour and a half before the regular market close today. The share price actually closed higher than at the time that report appeared in my account.

Is it wrong to think that a B- rating is basically equivalent to what Tesla's bonds, unrated, were basically treated as far as big money was treating it anyways? In other words, Tesla's bonds must have been relatively speculative to begin with and probably wasn't considered investment grade anyways so this is basically status quo.

The S&P rating of Tesla Motors debt appeared in the TSLA news section of my TD Ameritrade account through Dow Jones an hour and a half before the regular market close today. The share price actually closed higher than at the time that report appeared in my account.

yes, this S&P news came out intraday today...if I had to guess what time the news came available to institutions/bots using institutional level Bloomberg/Reuters news terminals I would guess this S&P news came out shortly after 2pm EST on that mini spike in volume corresponding with a 2 point dip from 212.50 to around 210.50 in a matter of minutes

I'm not following the logic that the S 40 was discontinued due to supply constraints. You'd think that given a constrained number of cells, they'd want to ship as many 40s as possible to maximize the number of vehicles being sold?

I'm included to believe Elon when he says there was simply no demand for the lower range model.

Correct, it was lack of demand.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, this S&P news came out intraday today...if I had to guess what time the news came available to institutions/bots using institutional level Bloomberg/Reuters news terminals I would guess this S&P news came out shortly after 2pm EST on that mini spike in volume corresponding with a 2 point dip from 212.50 to around 210.50 in a matter of minutes

Given that it was a "Press Release", I doubt Bloomberg terminals got it 30 min earlier. But if so, I'd be interested to know. On Interactive Brokers, it also came about 1.5 hours before close.

Standard & Poor is known to be Tesla skeptical. In Oct 2013, they gave TSLA a 12 month target of $150. While the "fire" sale low at $120 came afterwards, so did the all-time high at about $260. Currently we are at about $210 going upwards again, with almost half of the 12 months still to go. So from my point of view, this doesn't speak in favor of taking S&P statements as of predictive value (regarding Tesla, that is).

yes, this S&P news came out intraday today...

The problem is I remember a time not too long ago when the S&P gave Leman Bros., AIG, etc. "double A plus" ratings only to have those guys put our economy into the most severe recession in its history. 2007-2008, you guys remember that? That "aa plus" rating came from the same analysts from the S&P, trust these sharks at your own peril!

John McCain tweets about "excellent meeting today" with TM Elon Musk, says that "Arizona is wonderful place to expand and invest".

Looks like the announcement about GF site #1 is imminent.

Twitter / SenJohnMcCain: Excellent mtg today @TeslaMotors ...

Could be just cheerleading. Unless they have a signed deal it smells like political grandstanding. I doubt Elon wants someone stealing Tesla's thunder on the announcement. Something like this might hurt Arizona's chances more than anything.

Panasonic to recall 43,000 PC batteries after...

This press release putting Panasonic battery F*and Tesla together has me worried about the bots that can't comprehend what they read far more than how people respond to an unsolicited bond rating

Right, not referring to car batteries and only to specific months in 2011. (Just has that magic word in it.)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, markets seem to go further up....

@dha: I think we'll see a sharp dip at the opening and stength in the afternoon as more people realise this news doesn't change the company, and is just an analysts viewpoint. But your right, overall not good news.

The S&P rating summary just confirms my belief in that the majority of investment firms have no clue as to what Tesla is all about. They continue to compare TSLA to F (for example), which is hilarious. That of course means buying opportunities to us who have an intimate knowledge of the product and the company.

There are definitely short-term positive catalysts out there: The announcement of breaking ground of the GF, the increase in demand for Model S as depicted on the 'build my Model S' page (most analysts probably have no clue about this), and any other announcements that will come from the Shareholders' meeting / UK Delivery celebration, to name a few...

I have a hunch that Texas will be site #1.

I think Texas should win as well, but yesterday they elected Dan Patrick for Lieutenant Governor (what?), and I heard him saying that he would not offer Tesla any incentives at all. The great state of Texas is incentive enough with its no state income tax and other business friendly practices. He can't justify cherry picking companies who should receive incentives, while others don't.

I kind of agree with him, but unfortunately the world does not work that way. I am sure that Governor Perry will fight hard to bring Tesla here.

I think Texas should win as well, but yesterday they elected Dan Patrick for Lieutenant Governor (what?), and I heard him saying that he would not offer Tesla any incentives at all. The great state of Texas is incentive enough with its no state income tax and other business friendly practices. He can't justify cherry picking companies who should receive incentives, while others don't.

I kind of agree with him, but unfortunately the world does not work that way. I am sure that Governor Perry will fight hard to bring Tesla here.

If you are familiar with Texas state legislature you know which of the two has the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.