Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISI Group followed by Credit Suisse and JPM

Good morning,
ISI Group's Geirge Galliers sticks to his $320 PT. The same does Dan Galves with PT $325.
On the other hand, Ryan Brinkman at JPM is a hardliner with his PT $190 with a "neutral" recommendation. Have added an extract of his view.

- - - Updated - - -

extract from
US Autos: 3Q Automaker Preview: Trim on Russia / LatAm; Pension Discount Rates an Emerging Headwind; Prefer Attractively Valued
2014-10-21 03:50:37.793 GMT (Bloomberg)

Maintain 3Q TSLA Estimates; Trim 2015 on Higher Costs

We continue to forecast 3Q deliveries of 7,800 units; maintain 3Q
estimates and price target. We maintain our 3Q forecast for deliveries of
7,800 units, which mirrors company issued guidance for deliveries of
"about 7,800 Model S vehicles". Embedded in our deliveries estimate is a
3Q production forecast of 9,000 units, only marginally higher than the
8,763 units manufactured in 2Q as a result of a stepped up exit run-rate
that was nevertheless muted by a temporary shutdown of the Freemont
facility for an intra-quarter retooling which allowed said step-up. Trim
2015 estimates on higher costs, largely maintain out-year estimates. We
largely maintain our out-year earnings estimates for 2016-2020 and
maintain our $190 December 2015 price target. We trim only our 2015
estimates, on an increase in R&D and SG&A expenses occurring earlier than
previously assumed, bringing us closer to consensus.

Investment Thesis, Valuation and Risks
Tesla Motors (Neutral; Price Target: $190.00)
Investment Thesis
Our Neutral rating balances notable investment positives, including a
highly differentiated business model, appealing product portfolio, and
leading-edge technology, with above-average execution risk and valuation
that seems to be pricing in a lot. Tesla is attractively saddled with none
of the pension, OPEB, and other legacy costs which frequently burden large
entrenched automakers. Its products are bold, distinctive, elegant, and
highly entertaining to drive. The company is led by visionary leadership,
backed by a management team with solid functional strength. Although both
technology and execution risk seem substantially less than was once
feared, expansion into higher-volume segments with lower price points
seems fraught with greater risk relative to demand, execution, and
competition. Meanwhile, valuation appears to be pricing in upside related
to expansion into mass-market segments well beyond our volume forecasts
for the Model III.

Valuation
We maintain our Neutral rating and maintain our December 2015 price target
of $190 using a blend of a multiple-based analysis and a discounted cash
flow based valuation. We value TSLA shares using a 50/50 blend of a
multiple-based analysis on our 2020E revenues, EBITDA and EPS forecasts,
and a discounted cash flow method of valuation.

Risks to Rating and Price Target
Upside risks include: (1) Long-term demand for electric vehicles in
general - especially in more price conscious volume segments - remains a
key unknown, representing both an upside and downside risk; (2) Demand for
Tesla vehicles could rise materially as awareness builds; (3) Gasoline
prices could increase which could drive adoption towards electric vehicles.
Downside risks include: (1) TSLA is subject to volatile commodity markets
particularly aluminum, steel, nickel and copper; (2) Demand for the Model
S could decline after early adopters receive their vehicles; (3) Execution
risks seem high; (4) Demand, execution, and competitive risks seem
especially high for a next-generation mass-market electric vehicle; (5)
Tesla competes against entrenched automakers with significantly greater
scale, brand recognition, and access to financial resources.

Attachments

• TSLA ANR.bmp
    379.8 KB · Views: 529
This very well could help Q3. I can not take credit for finding this info about ZEV credits, Mostapasta, a forum member first posted it in the 'ZEV Credit' thread: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/zevcredits/2013zevcredits.htm TM sold a lot of ZEV credits in Q3 2014.

Did anyone ever establish how much a ZEV credit is worth? This is the perfect quarter to use that ammo with the factory shutdown, higher SG&A, and possibly missing deliveries number. Still unsure how the market would react if the only reason for a non-GAAP profit is ZEV credits, in a hypothetical bad case scenario.

Did anyone ever establish how much a ZEV credit is worth? This is the perfect quarter to use that ammo with the factory shutdown, higher SG&A, and possibly missing deliveries number. Still unsure how the market would react if the only reason for a non-GAAP profit is ZEV credits, in a hypothetical bad case scenario.

Tesla would of course be critizised for this by all of the bears and they would point out all the investments made as "burning of cash".

It was postulated before that they could be worth a lot, but I have no idea how high that number is. Tesla transferred 650.195 between 10/1/13 and 9/30/14. I don't know how many of those they transferred Q4 last year and Q1/2 this year, but that would leave what remainder for Q3 2014. Last timeframe, 10/1/12-9/30/13 they transferred 1311.520 and I seem to recall pretty big values (tens of millions of $), so perhaps as other manufacturers make compliance vehicles the value of credits diminishes. So, without the time to do the research into the last several quarterly reports I'll avoid making a bad guess and let some one else take a look while I head off to work!

Edit - See next couple posts.

Last edited:
@AlMc Thanks for the reference!
@techmaven There is no set rate for how much the credits are worth to my knowledge and I'm sure each automaker has unique transfer deals. Using last years average rate as the high side, Tesla could generate ~$54 million this year (they already showed $10 million in Q2, so that would leave ~$44 million in Q3). However I'm sure the credits have dropped in value some, since automakers are releasing their own compliance EVs therefore generating less of a demand.

- - - Updated - - -

ZEV.png

The $5,000/credit is for the unadjusted credits so 650/.035=18571*$5,000~~$93 million. I think $5,000 is the absolute upper limit because that is the fine for non-compliance. Tesla would offer some discount from that. Although it wouldn't necessarily be a large discount.

@AlMc Thanks for the reference!
@techmaven There is no set rate for how much the credits are worth to my knowledge and I'm sure each automaker has unique transfer deals. Using last years average rate as the high side, Tesla could generate ~$54 million this year (they already showed $10 million in Q2, so that would leave ~$44 million in Q3). However I'm sure the credits have dropped in value some, since automakers are releasing their own compliance EVs therefore generating less of a demand.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 61840

For what it's worth, if Tesla was breakeven otherwise, a $44 million boost would be about a $0.35/share (non-diluted) to earnings based on the current 124.6mm shares outstanding. Dilution would lower it a bit, but that could be a "surprise" offset to the headline number.

Looks like the funds are trying to drive the price back down to 232.50 and below, and it is not working very well for them at the moment since the overall market is up.

I am curious if they pushed out all of their resources to drive the price down to sub 232.50 in the early minutes just so they could bail on their position because it seems to have pop'd out once it hit below 232.36.

Note that where I am getting this speculation from is in the comparison against the overall Nasdaq. As most are aware, absent news, we tend to track an exaggerated view of the index. Yesterday we were pushing against that to maintain a relatively flat price once we hit 230/231. The only thing that explains that is someone trying to control the price. Now here this morning when the Nasdaq was shooting straight up, they were driving the price down until around 9:42 when they got the price low enough to exit their positions with the stock still at the levels that they wanted.

The good news if I am right and they have bailed on their idea of controlling the price, we might get a decent run today!

- - - Updated - - -

For what it's worth, if Tesla was breakeven otherwise, a $44 million boost would be about a $0.35/share (non-diluted) to earnings based on the current 124.6mm shares outstanding. Dilution would lower it a bit, but that could be a "surprise" offset to the headline number.

This would certainly counter any issues with the change to the drive unit warranty. If for no other reason that that, I am now a little less worried about Tesla's outlook for Q3.

- - - Updated - - -

The good news if I am right and they have bailed on their idea of controlling the price, we might get a decent run today!

AAAAAnnnnnd nevermind... seems like they managed to drive the price back into the same range... sigh. This kind of manipulation should be illegal...

AAAAAnnnnnd nevermind... seems like they managed to drive the price back into the same range... sigh. This kind of manipulation should be illegal...

It's not unusual to see the hedge fund bots short selling TSLA during 10:00 to 10:30 ET and setting up a cascade of stop loss limits being hit, especially on Tuesdays. Last year when this was even more prevalent we used to call these Tesla Tuesdays.

I am getting back into TSLA starting today.

I believe the pullback, started by Elon's stock comment during Gigafactory announcement and made worse by over-expectations at the "D" reveal, is over.

IMO we are now in a run up to ER where anticipation is high that they will meet or beat the target number.

I am getting back into TSLA starting today.

I believe the pullback, started by Elon's stock comment during Gigafactory announcement and made worse by over-expectations at the "D" reveal, is over.

IMO we are now in a run up to ER where anticipation is high that they will meet or beat the target number.

I am not as sure as you are about this anticipation. I hope you are correct because I stand to make more $ with the price going up (by a magnitude of 10) versus it going down.

Tesla would of course be critizised for this by all of the bears and they would point out all the investments made as "burning of cash".

As if on queue:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/former-fisker-ceo-tesla-needs-153544525.html
Tony Posawatz knows cars.

He has more than two decades of experience in the auto industry, including time as both the CEO of Fisker Automotive and an executive at General Motors Company (NYSE: GM). Posawatz has specific expertise in the area of electric vehicles, as he oversaw product innovations for the Chevrolet Volt.

Posawatz recently joined Benzinga’s #PreMarket Prep to talk about what Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) needs to be successful.

“I do have some general concerns around their ability to make a profitable model that’s a high volume model,” he said. “I think, if you look at their dependence currently on the [Zero Emission Vehicle] credits for revenue and profit ... it’s not a business model that I think is sustainable."

Yup. They talk this nonsense about Tesla's "business model is dependent on ZEV credits" and "it's not sustainable". Well, what kind of "analyst" wouldn't at least go to the source? There have been several very clear and very direct statements by Elon and by CFO Ahuja stating that Tesla is in no way counting on or relying on ZEV credits as part of their business model.

With regards to big players keeping the price pegged at $232.50 it could seem like that pressure has been released in the last 30 minutes... Low volume day so far today (2.3 million shares traded) just like yesterday was low volume so I agree that those kinds of days are the best ones for someone trying to "manipulate" the price.

Good morning,
ISI Group's Geirge Galliers sticks to his $320 PT.

Barron's notes:

Galliers and Ellinghorst start with an interesting premise: That Tesla is the one automaker "not exposed to the single largest threat to automotive returns, namely global emissions standards." They explain: "Having studied, reports from the European Environment Agency, the International Council On Clean Transportation and the European Commission, we estimate that to meet an industry average of 95g/km CO2 per car will require an incremental c$1,350 in content."

Status
Not open for further replies.