Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I did buy my December 26 $200 Puts this AM (sorry) and just bought another (1) J17 $200 about 10 minutes ago. I actually hope to lose money on the puts in the next week because I will make more paper profit on a TSLA rise than a continued fall.

****I agree with Flux (oil) and Shadow (P85D delays) as reasons for today's drop. I am really not trying to be negative but other than TSLAdopt's scenario of a MS upgrade does anyone see a positive catalyst in the next 10-14 days?

Oil is the latest excuse, before that Hedge funds, Algos, FUD, the "Tooth Ferry" were used, some investors grow tired of hype & have chosen to focus on coming up short on delivery's, production issues at Fremont, EPS estimates being slashed, "reckless spending' in Europe & Asia, possible warranty issues with the drive unit, X delay without sufficient explanation ...take your pick.

Theres always next quarter.

But even if you have a long term view, there is always the option of getting out, and buying back in at a lower level later. The times where this would inevitably leave you stranded at the train station are over. For the next year or so, this stock will provide ample opportunities for exiting high and reentering low.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of technicals that broke too. A head and shoulders is forming too.

Oh yeah, definitely, but I think oil price is what broke them. After the market gave a thumbs up to the ER I looked out and saw nothing ahead that could break the current trend. I didn't see oil. Now the technicals are against us instead of working in our favor.

Can we just talk for a sec about the fact that Uber has received a $41B valuation? WTF?

Haven't seen this much negativity on this board since the fires. I don't know about technicals or catalysts, but I'm a buyer here just based on the level of negative sentiment. I'm confident that oil prices won't affect Model S demand and P85D delays are a blip. When I start to see people talking about selling with a plan to buy back in at a lower price, I begin to suspect we're close to a bottom.

Haven't seen this much negativity on this board since the fires. I don't know about technicals or catalysts, but I'm a buyer here just based on the level of negative sentiment. I'm confident that oil prices won't affect Model S demand and P85D delays are a blip. When I start to see people talking about selling with a plan to buy back in at a lower price, I begin to suspect we're close to a bottom.

^^^This has been true in the past^^^ and when everyone starts writing poetry when the stock is going up it is time to sell:wink:

Sounds like most all of us are caught off guard by this. I'm with Flux, I think it is the oil more than anything.
To my mind, it's just the overall cold stream of ominous news that the market only knows to interpret negatively: the dramatic drop in oil prices, the previous divestment by Toyota and Daimler, the public cold shoulder from BMW, the constant noises from VW/Audi about their Tesla killer, which will have long range, long legs, and beautiful eyes, and is coming real soon now, etc. There is a general feeling that Tesla is alone in a hostile world and who knows, maybe they won't be able to pull it off, after all.

The market is having withdrawal symptoms. Tesla investors are addicted to the rush of spectacular news coming every couple of weeks. We want to see green constantly, we want a new ATH every 8 weeks, we want fresh analyst upgrades. Above all, we want Elon to tweet sweetly into our ears. When all that is replaced by longer periods of silence, because, you know, Tesla workers have to wake up every morning and actually build the freaking cars, sentiment drops like blood sugar level after swallowing barrels of ice cream while binging on Elon Musk appearances on YouTube. The market is insecure because it doesn't understand Tesla, nor the other manufacturers' capabilities, nor the unbounded vastness of the addressable market, nor, especially, that Rome wasn't built in a day, so it quickly loses heart ("OMG Tesla hasn't called me in days!!! she doesn't love me!!!!"). It's not yet full-blown panic, but that could happen too, especially since the next earnings report feels so far in the future, it may as well be next century.

Me, I'm a buyer.

Limited time, Cyber Monday redux sale on TSLA. 25% off, but this offer won't last. Get it before visiting the Internet involves wiping off the incessant drooling over the P85D's in customer's hands. Before the video reviews and glowing articles from every automotive journalist and pseudo journalist, all of which would be clamoring to test a P85D. Definitely before the unveiling of the Model X, or even the tangential high of seeing SpaceX try to land a rocket on a floating barge.

To my mind, it's just the overall cold stream of ominous news that the market only knows to interpret negatively: the dramatic drop in oil prices, the previous divestment by Toyota and Daimler, the public cold shoulder from BMW, the constant noises from VW/Audi about their Tesla killer, which will have long range, long legs, and beautiful eyes, and is coming real soon now, etc. There is a general feeling that Tesla is alone in a hostile world and who knows, maybe they won't be able to pull it off, after all.

The market is having withdrawal symptoms. Tesla investors are addicted to the rush of spectacular news coming every couple of weeks. We want to see green constantly, we want a new ATH every 8 weeks, we want fresh analyst upgrades. Above all, we want Elon to tweet sweetly into our ears. When all that is replaced by longer periods of silence, because, you know, Tesla workers have to wake up every morning and actually build the freaking cars, sentiment drops like blood sugar level after swallowing barrels of ice cream while binging on Elon Musk appearances on YouTube. The market is insecure because it doesn't understand Tesla, nor the other manufacturers' capabilities, nor the unbounded vastness of the addressable market, nor, especially, that Rome wasn't built in a day, so it quickly loses heart ("OMG Tesla hasn't called me in days!!! she doesn't love me!!!!"). It's not yet full-blown panic, but that could happen too, especially since the next earnings report feels so far in the future, it may as well be next century.

Me, I'm a buyer.

Haha, this post deserves to be framed. Excellent, so true. Like the market, many of us here go through huge mood swings when it comes to Tesla, the company and the stock.

Me, I'm a buyer.

This is one of the best things I've ever read on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.