Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla Said an Autopilot Crash Would Be 'Material' Before CEO Elon Musk Said It Wasn't

The company made the disclosure on May 10, just three days after the fatal autopilot accident, but likely after the company knew about the crash. On Tuesday, following Fortune’s article, Tesla disclosed that it learned about the accident “shortly” after it occurred, and told authorities at The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about it nine days after it happened, which was two days before the company’s $2 billion stock offering.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I think we have known for a while now that all the elements of a perfect sh*t storm for shorts are all there. It's just a matter of right trigger. We looked for FCF+ signals early in the year, unfortunately that didn't pan out due to model-3 ramp pull in, we looked for strong delivery numbers in Q2 that didn't happen, now we have this merger trigger, which seems to necessitate recall of lent shares or worst case we have q3 deliveries (or it's guidance in Q2 ER). Overall, it looks like somewhere over the next few weeks to few months, there would be a strong rally triggered by a short squeeze.

With the high valuation of Tesla stock and continuing bad news, things could easily go the other way. That's what makes a market. Fun to see how this plays out, don't keep all your eggs in one basket!

My broker is TD Ameritrade. I have a margin account but am not currently using margin. I spoke with two of their agents today, and they gave conflicting opinions regarding the possible lending of my shares to short sellers. The second agent got a third opinion from someone he believed to be more expert. Here is the result.

TD Ameritrade can lend a client’s shares to short sellers, if the client has a margin account and is using that margin. Nothing can be done or said by the client to prevent this, including the placement of a good-till-cancelled limit order to sell at a very high price.

TD Ameritrade cannot lend a client’s shares to short sellers, if the client is not using margin even if he has a margin account.

Tesla: ‘No data to suggest’ Autopilot on in Pa. crash

The Palo Alto, California-based company said it has “no data to suggest that Autopilot was engaged at the time” of the July 1 crash involving two Michigan residents.

“Anytime there is a significant accident, Tesla receives a crash detection alert,” the company said in an email to The Detroit News. “As is our practice with all collisions, we immediately reached out to the customer to make sure he was safe. Until the customer responds, we are unable to further investigate.”

Here's hoping Tesla doesn't advertise - ever.
I 100% agree with Elon that advertising is deceptive and not in the interests of the consumer. Another reason I can't stand dealer commercials - hypocrisy and lies just bug me, especially when shouted loudly.

Yes. I agree. Tesla should not advertise in the main media. However, the consequences of that is a biased coverage of Tesla. Just goes with the territory. Recognizing this dynamic is important as an investor in order to rationalize the flow of information.

I am greatly enjoying the dialogue on short interest and the lending of Tesla shares to shorts. Looks like Fidelity and some other longs are benefiting from short interest and stock appreciation at the same time. If you have a Fidelity brokerage account, take a look at their analysis of Tesla stock - a highly biased negative analysis. I sent emails to Fidelity complaining of their unrealistic analysis. They responded that an outside contractor provides the analysis. A phony explanation since they get to chose the outside contractor. I think the negative analysis is to encourage shorts who are paying interest to Fidelity and who may also end up boosting Fidelity's Tesla holdings if there is a short squeeze.

• Helpful
Reactions: CatB

The Palo Alto, California-based company said it has “no data to suggest that Autopilot was engaged at the time” of the July 1 crash involving two Michigan residents.

“Anytime there is a significant accident, Tesla receives a crash detection alert,” the company said in an email to The Detroit News. “As is our practice with all collisions, we immediately reached out to the customer to make sure he was safe. Until the customer responds, we are unable to further investigate.”
Great news. Another FUD piece destroyed.

OK, media - what else you got?

Random Tesla FUD Headline Generator: "Reports of Wage Disputes at Aluminum Manufacturer, Possible Tesla Supplier?"

More reassuring would be "data shows AutoPilot was never on. It was not deactivated when the owner sensed an impending crash and hit the brakes"

As I stated yesterday, it was in my view irresponsible for the officer to comment to a newspaper about the specifics of an accident before all of the data was compiled, and a final report was produced. (Assuming he ever did).

I still want to know why a Detroit based newspaper was the first and only newspaper to report on an accident that happened in Pennsylvania.

CNBC discussion was focused on if reporting the accident was material to investors prior to the secondary & pointed out an AP accident is mentioned in Tesla's 10-Q as a material event.

What do you think they're resting their position on? Perhaps the distinction is an accident caused by AP as opposed to an accident with AP turned on.

(Not to start a debate on whether AP caused the accident or not but I think it is Tesla's position that it did not - it worked as designed.)

Mike

As I stated yesterday, it was in my view irresponsible for the officer to comment to a newspaper about the specifics of an accident before all of the data was compiled, and a final report was produced. (Assuming he ever did).

I still want to know why a Detroit based newspaper was the first and only newspaper to report on an accident that happened in Pennsylvania.

Is it not also questionable for Tesla to comment before they begin their investigation? I agree with you regarding the officer saying things before investigation was complete, and I feel the same about Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: drinkerofkoolaid
Status
Not open for further replies.