Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be interested if I could tap into the collective wisdom of this group. Is the proportion of shorted shares typical?
No, it's extremely high.
Or is there some kind of historical precedent with any other company?
Yes, lots. It's a pattern with companies where an unusually large number of people are extremely bearish on the stock, for whatever reason. Now, why we would have unusually bearish sentiment on Tesla, which has real assets and a proven business model.... but not have unusually bearish sentiment on Facebook, which doesn't have either... that's another question, and much harder to answer.

Forgive me as this is unrelated but its the weekend and it really struck me. Its an interview with Elon in 2008 after the third rocket failure. The interviewers are spewing out skepticism like Jim Chanos, Andrew Left, and Mark Spiegel are doing with regard to TSLA these days.

Now 0-for-3, SpaceX’s Elon Musk Vows to Make Orbit

Wow, what an amazing turnaround, huh? Elon was probably the only person in the entire world who knew SpaceX would turn out to be a HUGE success.

I wonder what he knows about the future these days.

From your daily chart thread (thanks for that, great service to the community!):

That was on a day with max pain at $215. I can believe that manipulation was in play trying to push the price down but the people doing that were not motivated by shorting Tesla, but by maximizing their gains on options and as to a tug of war. I don't think so. No one would be foolish enough to try to push the price up against someone attempting to do the opposite. I think the tug of war is actually buyers buying on dips.

As to trying to harm Tesla to harm Elon or to damage Tesla to make it difficult raise money again I disagree.
Paying shills is a cost effective way to do that. Spending tens of millions of dollars on a daily basis is not.

Bottom line? There's more manipulation happening than I initially thought (thanks!), but IMO much less than you think.

It's tough to determine sometimes whether there's manipulation taking place or the trading is simply longs and shorts trading with no gamesmanship involved. What tips the balance, I think, is when volume is low and one investor plans to buy or sell enough shares that the stock price will respond to that one individual's trades. If you are such a big player that you're capable of moving the SP with your individual trades, then it is illogical to not employ gamesmanship from time to time. I agree with you that the vast majority of trading is simply longs and shorts trying to maximize their profits. The goal of using gamesmanship in trading is to maximize profits, though, so we're really not talking about different motivations here, just different tactics to achieve profits.

On the other hand, since at least one enemy of EVs, the Koch Brothers, have funds set aside for FUD, it's not inconceivable that someone like this might dabble in TSLA stock when they see an opportunity to simultaneously make some money and do Tesla some harm. There are times, such as right after the autopilot fatality, that a depressed stock price could send signals to both Wall Street and future Tesla buyers, plus give Elon Musk a black eye. I see potential motivation, but I would agree with you that such trading is probably not common.

One thing I look for is patterns, and one pattern that has emerged recently is gains on TSLA during the high-volume times of day and decreases in the SP during the low-volume afternoon hours. Is this the work of gamesmanship by the shorts? It's nearly impossible to know for sure, but sometimes i mention it because that explanation strikes me as the most plausible. My rule is to consider normal profit-making activities of longs and shorts first, but then look at gamesmanship when normal trading does not make sense as an explanation. For example, when we see TSLA spending a good portion of the day jumping up and down between green and red, with just a dollar or two gains and losses, then I suspect manipulation because of the strong motive (get TSLA to close in the red) and because normal trading doesn't make sense as an explanation after a few gyrations. Why would this battle be taking place right at the red/green line? I agree with you that TSLA starts heading up because longs buy in at what looks like an attractive price, but why does it descend, again and again, after climbing just a dollar? One explanation is that it keeps hitting a sell-target set by longs, but after several repeats this explanation doesn't make as much sense as the manipulation explanation.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I don't think I'm alone in this regard; from all the tea-leaf reading I've been performing (and I've switched from Formosa Oolong to Formidable Elon) my concerted opinion is that Part 2 will be the Tesla Energy analog of the Part 1 Tesla Automotive Master Plan.

That would be my best educated guess as well. Acquisition of SCTY being part of 'Master Plan part Deux'

edit: This may also be part of the reason TSLA did not take a bigger dip on the Q2 delivery miss. Someone(s) knew this was coming. Wish I was part of the someone(s) but I am a tiny retail investor.

Elon blog post a decade ago: The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me)

This is the most impressive blog post ever. I've never seen a CEO of a company publicly laying out a such an ambitious plan, and then execute that plan. This deserves to stand next to Kennedy's 'man on the moon' speech.
Well, he already gave a hint of buying solar city in the blog.

"While doing above, also provide zero emission electric power generation options"

I don't think I'm alone in this regard; from all the tea-leaf reading I've been performing (and I've switched from Formosa Oolong to Formidable Elon) my concerted opinion is that Part 2 will be the Tesla Energy analog of the Part 1 Tesla Automotive Master Plan.

I also believe that TE (including what is now SCTY) will likely be the focus. But I also hope there will be some hints about the future rollout for the automotive business. I predict that Elon has a much more aggressive timeline in mind than most people expect.

My bet is roadmap of fully automous driving and its impact.

The stuff Adam Jonas was begging Musk to reveal.

Given the utter misunderstanding surrounding Autopilot, it would be timely to lay it all out in lay man's terms.

I also don't expect much stock price reaction. As this is yet some more stuff way into the future.

Believers already believe. Skeptics stay skeptic. So muted reaction is my guess.

I also don't expect much stock price reaction. As this is yet some more stuff way into the future.

Believers already believe. Skeptics stay skeptic. So muted reaction is my guess.

In 2006, almost everybody was a skeptic. In 2016, with a decade of proving that it was not a dream, there will be a lot more believers.

SolarCity or more generally power generation is very much included in part1. Eloberating on that won't make it part2.

There was no mention of fully autonomous driving or its implications in accelerating sustainability in part1. Presenting that would be genuinely part2.

Just my take

In 2006, almost everybody was a skeptic. In 2016, with a decade of proving that it was not a dream, there will be a lot more believers.
Exactly. Not sure about SP movement, but in 2006 this was a big idea, pie in the sky stuff to many people.
Its a different ball game in 2016.

Also, progress is currently under way on all fronts, TE, autonomous cars, solar energy. How will he not be able to reveal a few juicy snippets that will update investors current understanding of TSLA?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.