Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on the amended (#3) S-4, the record date was indeed, as indicated by the Jeff Evanson, Tesla IR VP, Friday, September 23.

Given that the record date is official now, it would be interesting to see if the share lending interest rate will nose-dive today. Yesterday shares available to short at Fidelity were 0, interest rate - 18% (at 4:00pm).

First, I think some of you guys are making a waaaaay bigger issue out of these discounts than it is. I mean sure, if some sales associates went too far this may hurt the bottom line, but the far reaching conclusions on Elon, disappointment in TM and the COO role itself seem a little dramatic. Not that Elon delegating some of his work would not be welcome, but I also understand how someone with his vision abd drive only trusts a very few people like that.

Second, I think it should be pointed out, that The issue is not with discounts approved by HQ in general, but individual discounts made by sales for specific customers.
what would be very disappointing is if the auto numbers come out over the weekend... SCTY vote and secondary happen before the next ER... and then we see a surprisingly poor Q3 report.

• Disagree
Reactions: dennis and esk8mw
Elon has tweeted that Tesla will likely have a record Q3. We all know that Tesla will have a record quarter in deliveries. The "likely record" seems to be a reference to earnings. Tesla's best quarter for earnings was Q1 in 2013 with $0.12 non-GAAP and ($0.40) GAAP earnings. Q2 in 2013 came close with $0.05 non-GAAP and ($0.26) GAAP earnings. Elon's letter to Tesla employees urges them to achieve a positive GAAP earnings. Looks like to do so, the non-GAAP earnings would have to be on the order of $0.40. The average expected Q3 earnings from 15 analysts is $0.04. Based on the above, one would expect a very significant beat on Q3 earnings.

You've got few numbers way off. I feel for you if you really maintaining your short position based on research like *that*
  • ASP is *much* higher than $85K, and never was that low
  • Automotive margin in Q2 was 23.1% GAAP, 21.9% non-GAAP, with guidance to *increase* 2-3 percentage points through Q3 and Q4, and per Elon during the Q2 ER is tracking to a blended 28% in 2017
  • Q1 warranty accrual rate declined compared to Q4 2015, and was steady in Q1 and Q2, not increased
Elon has tweeted that Tesla will likely have a record Q3. We all know that Tesla will have a record quarter in deliveries. The "likely record" seems to be a reference to earnings. Tesla's best quarter for earnings was Q1 in 2013 with $0.12 non-GAAP and ($0.40) GAAP earnings. Q2 in 2013 came close with $0.05 non-GAAP and ($0.26) GAAP earnings. Elon's letter to Tesla employees urges them to achieve a positive GAAP earnings. Looks like to do so, the non-GAAP earnings would have to be on the order of $0.40. The average expected Q3 earnings from 15 analysts is $0.04. Based on the above, one would expect a very significant beat on Q3 earnings.
why do you jump to this assumption: "The "likely record" seems to be a reference to earnings"
after just stating this: "We all know that Tesla will have a record quarter in deliveries"

historical evidence of previous quarters would suggest you've got it backwards.

• Disagree
Reactions: Irishjugg
what would be very disappointing is if the auto numbers come out over the weekend... SCTY vote and secondary happen before the next ER... and then we see a surprisingly poor Q3 report.

Didn't you mention holding short position? If that is the case why would you be disappointed to see "poor Q3 report"? Perhaps you meant to say delighted? Or, may be "poor Q3 report" means a blowout profitable that sinks your short position?

Confusing.

Didn't you mention holding short position? If that is the case why would you be disappointed to see "poor Q3 report"? Perhaps you meant to say delighted? Or, may be "poor Q3 report" means a blowout profitable that sinks your short position?

Confusing.
95% of the people on this board are long... so it's easier for you to read it from your perspective... either way... it means the same thing.

• Funny
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
why do you jump to this assumption: "The "likely record" seems to be a reference to earnings"
after just stating this: "We all know that Tesla will have a record quarter in deliveries"

historical evidence of previous quarters would suggest you've got it backwards.

Based on evidence discussed to great length in this thread, record deliveries seems almost certain (not "likely"), whereas a record GAAP profit, based on Elon's emails and tweets, appears to be "likely". :)

Reactions: austinEV
Screenshot 2016-09-29 07.40.57.png

$SCTY borrowing rate - ouch. And all the shares are gone. Ouch.

Based on evidence discussed to great length in this thread, record deliveries seems almost certain (not "likely"), whereas a record GAAP profit, based on Elon's emails and tweets, appears to be "likely". :)
I'm on board with record deliveries... that's not what I asked... what I asked was why do you think we'll see record earnings?... I believe you are reading into Elon's message... and applying your own information based on what you want it to say. making what you're saying simply hyperbole.

also... since you closely reviewed Elon's inter-quarter messages... then the email that "leaked" also suggested that this may be the last opportunity for Tesla to prove GAAP profitability.

so if they deliver 22k cars this quarter... then to meet lower end of annual guidance they will need to deliver 28k cars.

so based on the efforts they've put forth in this quarter... the "discounting" conversation that's going on... and statements in the email... if the deliveries come in between 20k and 23k... would you agree that they will miss annual guidance?... or do you expect to see another record in Q4?

Looking at premarket action, it looks like market doesn't care about record deliveries. Elon "leaked" two internal emails now saying Tesla will have the best quarter and first one talked about delivering anything they can.

I believe market thinks:
- Q4 guidance won't be met (lower end of 80K) due to sell-through using discounts in Q3.
- Q3 deliveries may be record (anything above 17.5K), but financials may not be.
- Q4 cash raise & SCTY deal will need constant money

Now, I doubt we will see a good run even after a solid numbers. I expect them to deliver 23K, but I am not sure about 27K in Q4. So, even if they deliver a strong quarter, but don't confirm Q4, market won't receive the news well.

There is a serious issue regarding margins which won't be addressed until the earnings call. Many here take it for granted that MS75 sale as 60 is same thing them being the same car. I don't agree with it since until now, MS75 sale contributed to margins of 21+%. Lowering 10K just like that will have a strong impact. I know Elon and others here say people spend that money on packages, but it is hard to buy the argument that margins are same. Anyhow, we'll know more around first week of November.

• Informative
Reactions: DaveT
also... since you closely reviewed Elon's inter-quarter messages... then the email that "leaked" also suggested that this may be the last opportunity for Tesla to prove GAAP profitability.

so if they deliver 22k cars this quarter... then to meet lower end of annual guidance they will need to deliver 28k cars.

so based on the efforts they've put forth in this quarter... the "discounting" conversation that's going on... and statements in the email... if the deliveries come in between 20k and 23k... would you agree that they will miss annual guidance?... or do you expect to see another record in Q4?

It will be virtually impossible for Tesla to be close to or GAAP profitable on 23K deliveries. They likely will need at least 25K deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.