Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts -

I would have been perfectly happy to see a conventional folding middle-row-seat option for the Model X.

Model 3 Part 2 is earlier than I thought it would happen.

Good reaction: Yes this definitely ties in with yesterday's change to the web site that says "production mid 2017." One can only conclude that things are going really well with the Model 3 development!

Bad reaction: Elon brought it up a little earlier in order to cushion the blow of an underwhelming earnings report? I mean, it's not like the Tesla organisation doesn't already have enough on its hands with the race-to-80,000 production of Model S+X this year, acquisition of Solar City, and first possible quarterly profit in a long time. I had figured the Model 3 Part 2 would be towards the end of the year, after all that stuff had been concluded. (I'm clutching at straws for a negative take on this)

Bill Griffeth on CNBC has twice mentioned the Tesla event, only to mock Elon about announcing the announcement, etc. - both times were after the tweet about the Model 3 Part 2 but neither time did they mention it. One of the times, he ended his report with the word "whatever." I'm going to be watching carefully to see if they are remiss in mentioning this fairly big detail.

Obviously to Elon, the 3rd presidential debate is irrelevant. He must surely have known this when sliding this reveal date by two days. It could be that he calculates that a lot of people who made time for it will tune in for Tesla coverage. It would be fun if Tesla bogarted the presidential debate (though ratings are expected to be the lowest of the three.)

What is going to be available for us to do/watch? Are they just going to update the Model 3 web page at 5pm PST? I'd love to tell people to "tune in" but if it's embargoed until some time later in the evening or something, that would be crap. Perhaps Elon will do a livestream from his desk or something :)

Reactions: Alketi
announcement will be Model 3 part 2!!!

I'm a bit more cautious than many here on what to expect. I'd love to see the full production version of the Model 3, but I'm hesitant that we will.

Previously Elon said the interior of the car would make more sense after the Model 3 part 2 reveal. I took that as part 1 was basically the exterior of the car, while part 2 is the interior or at least some major design aspects of it. So there's no impetus to show the production exterior of the car at this time. Rather, I think it makes more sense to do a 3rd reveal around May showing the final design with all the pricing, specs etc.

Today I think we're going to see mostly "Tesla Glass" - the HUD system. It might be shown using Model 3 prototypes or the final design, but we may not get a good look at either. Then it'll be announced as available now on the S/X.

It is quite ballsy of Musk to do this announcement like literally half hour before one of the biggest/most important debates of our lifetime.

Like I said earlier. We love him anyway.

Oh come on, seriously? What makes this debate any more important than the last two? Or you know, any of the debates that ultimately resulted in the outcome of previous presidential races that had candidates that actually had policies to debate.

The election is all but a foregone conclusion at this point. Unless HRC comes out and does something colossally stupid, the handsy mouthpiece has been left in the dust and its hers to lose.

As an outsider, I don't really understand how the Americans allowed this situation to happen, but there really isn't any other option than to elect HRC, as awful an option as that is.

The internet will explode!!! Model Y announced (?)

I think Model Y being tonight's announcement would be bad. Seen as increasing Model 3 execution risk. Even though I'm confident that if you had been planning for it all along, and 3/Y shared enough components it wouldn't be any more difficult, I'm sure the market would see it poorly.

Tesla Glass, OTOH, would be seen as yet another step on the road to Model 3 being on time, on budget, and maybe even ahead of schedule.

Reactions: MartinAustin
Today I think we're going to see mostly "Tesla Glass" - the HUD system. It might be shown using Model 3 prototypes or the final design, but we may not get a good look at either. Then it'll be announced as available now on the S/X.
I have to agree with you. We'll see whatever they're apt to show in a video package/press release -- which is very likely focused on the interior/HUD, which should also mean that tech will soon be available in the S/X.

On the upside, hopefully some news comes out of the 30 min Q/A session.

I think the market is a bit disappointed that this is a refinement to the Model 3 for which there was already no demand problem, as opposed to a new profit generating product. It could be available immediately on the S/X but then it wouldn't make much sense to be calling it 'model 3 pt.2'

Reactions: Tenable
Status
Not open for further replies.