Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that simple. The length used for the steel cylinders would be 65 mm vs 56, and the separator inside the cells would need a be increased proportionally as well.

One of the principal advantages of the scale of the GF is that made it feasible to develop custom large scale cell manufacturing equipment. Now that they've finished the first phase, succeeding phases will go faster and cost less. That also means that Panasonic and Tesla can build smaller factories at other locations using the new equipment that will produce cells at a similar cost to the GF. I'm not sure if it's cost effective to retrofit the old equipment at a large enough scale to replace the MS-MX cells.
Do we have an estimates about how hard it is to update a 18650 line to 2170? @techmaven?
What percentage of equipment on the line can be modified vs needing to be replaced entirely?

On a related note: I found a video on YouTube a while ago where the poster tested out charging his Model S from a small off-the-shelf gas-fired generator set like you would find at your favourite local hardware stores.

The finding? It works, but its slow (as expected), and the net fuel economy (ie. miles of charge per gallon of fuel for the generator) is competitive with gas-fired sedans of the same class.

I don't think the doldrums are due to what Musk has to say. Rather, it is the debt and obligations that Tesla is taking on for the SolarCity acquisition. While the more than doubling of debt can be explained away as no problem, I don't think the analysts view it that way.

How is it zero risk? To my understanding Solar City has max 20 year deals with its customers. 20 years is a long time.

Quite simply it seems like most TSLA analysts and enthusiasts just don't understand SCTY. If TSLA is confusing, SCTY is doubly so and a lot more boring and low profile. SCTY is on the outside a solar company, but it's as much or more a finance company too, sort of like how TSLA is a car company, but as much or more a tech/battery company. It takes some time to wrap your head around how/what SCTY really is doing, and if you take the time I think most would arrive at the conclusion that TSLA is taking advantage of a perception that SCTY is doing much worse than it actually is. They bought the Fremont plant on sale, the Buffalo plant on sale, they got the states into a bidding war over the gigafactory, and this is a very "on sale" time to formalize the SCTY/TSLA relationship.

Last edited:
There is a new forum thread titled "Valuation". It's pretty sickening looking at comments, seems like everyone in this forum is still blindedly bullish, implying more downside to the stock. Until everyone throws the white flag, I don't see us bouncing back from this valley of the death.

Statistically, user CalgaryArsenal is your best contrary indicator. When TSLA hit $140-150 early in the year, he threw a white flag and giving up, then we bounced fiercely in Mar and Apr to $260-270. CalgaryArsenal was nowhere to be found during that rally. Then, suddenly he showed up again at $270 being bullish, and now look what happened since then.

This forum is the best contra-indicator for TSLA. Used to be when "haikus" are out, the stock topped out.

I think even most bulls these days realize there it may be a considerable amount of time before there is a significant rise in stock price. Most of us also understand the stock may fall. We just think TSLA is still worth holding on to because Tesla is now showing strength in execution, demand for their products seems strong, and their competitive advantages are growing. Many of us have strong finances and bought our shares with money we can afford to lose. We are willing to wait a very long time for what we expect to be very high returns. Q3 made us more confidence in the long term, but the short term is very murky. Recent price action has made us more careful in short term.

I don't think the doldrums are due to what Musk has to say. Rather, it is the debt and obligations that Tesla is taking on for the SolarCity acquisition. While the more than doubling of debt can be explained away as no problem, I don't think the analysts view it that way.
But the lack of a raise-ie more debt for TM and capital expenditure was considered a negative.

Anybody got an explanation for why the arb gap is significantly widening?

Big firms have been silent about recent developments and are probably accumulating during this dip. There hasn't been a single upgrade or credible new report from a large credible firm in the past few months.

Zero credible analysts have commented on the Tesla-SolarCity merger, likely to avoid claims of a conflict of interest. SolarCity has been trading between $18,50 and $20.50 for the past few months. It won't fall lower IMO.

Reactions: Lessmog
There is a new forum thread titled "Valuation". It's pretty sickening looking at comments, seems like everyone in this forum is still blindedly bullish, implying more downside to the stock. Until everyone throws the white flag, I don't see us bouncing back from this valley of the death.

Statistically, user CalgaryArsenal is your best contrary indicator. When TSLA hit $140-150 early in the year, he threw a white flag and giving up, then we bounced fiercely in Mar and Apr to $260-270. CalgaryArsenal was nowhere to be found during that rally. Then, suddenly he showed up again at $270 being bullish, and now look what happened since then.

This forum is the best contra-indicator for TSLA. Used to be when "haikus" are out, the stock topped out.
If any large institutional investment fund, fund manager, analyst etc is using these forums as a marker of market action and direction, it would be mind boggling.

Predicting market action is really the golden goose for any security.

I think the real question is:

Is the louvred glass in the solar roofing tiles the rumored thing we heard about called Tesla Glass, or is that something different and as yet unseen (such as a HUD).

EDIT: It occurs to me that they could be related products. If you set up the louvred glass in a windshield, where you can see through it from the drivers seat perspective, but its opaque from below, the image projected by a dash-mounted HUD projector might be made clearer?
The louvered "glass" for the roof tiles is a 3M product. At the Friday event, I rode gave a ride into the venue with the 3M engineers (one guy invented the product). It's a thin plastic sheet that is sandwiched between the tempered glass and the solar cell. So, I don't think Tesla would call that "Tesla Glass".

For those playing the home game: we're now 3.2% below where we were before the most positive ER in 3 years.

This kind of reminds me of that segment of the movie where the hero is a little beat up, been kind of down for a while, maybe a little blood on the face and starting to lose friends, and the enemy thinks the match is pretty much over, but the hero is just getting started and comes back stronger than ever.

Let's say your a farmer. You've got 1,000 acres and currently you're only farming 10 acres of it. So you harvest the 10, and use some of the yield to seed another 10 acres. You don't have as much to take to the market this year, but next year you have 2x as much. TSLA is the farmer, cars are the crop. The acreage is a massive worldwide auto market that TSLA can pretty much take as much as they can handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is 20 years a risk when it is tied to home value of high credit score owners? And thanks to housing recover, most all these homeowners are back to having considerable equity in their homes.
Its got nothing to do with the home value of the owner:

The asset is on their roof, leased from SCTY. SCTY owns the equipment for the life of the PPA, and SCTY collects the payments from the power company. The owner's creditworthiness has nothing to do with the risk profile of this equation. The only risk stems from the power company defaulting on the contract, or the financing terms of the debt backing the asset being so bad that it makes the asset pear-shaped. TSLA has good access to enough cheap capital, so that problem isn't a problem. Thus, unless you think the utility is going to default on their end of the contract, there is no risk.

EDIT: This is part of why SCTY looks like such a bag of hammers right now. SCTY is struggling to find financing for the giant debt on good enough terms to keep the PPAs afloat. TSLA doesn't have that problem, and while part of why the merger gets characterized as a bailout, is really what makes it such a good deal for TSLA.

Last edited:
This kind of reminds me of that segment of the movie where the hero is a little beat up, been kind of down for a while, maybe a little blood on the face and starting to lose friends, and the enemy thinks the match is pretty much over, but the hero is just getting started and comes back stronger than ever.
Arb gap continues to widen. I have no explanation of the logic the market is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.