Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like people still do not get it.
FWD are a design error.
There are no alarming reports of people who have received their Model-X and report alarming or major issues with the doors cause there are almost no X DELIVERED!

Clearly not true. Not even remotely true. No need to lie about it.

BTW, I saw my first Model X in the flesh this past weekend and it was stunning.

It looks like people still do not get it.
FWD are a design error.
There are no alarming reports of people who have received their Model-X and report alarming or major issues with the doors cause there are almost no X DELIVERED!

Presenting a plan to introduce traditional doors would only reduce risk.
Even designing traditional doors takes some time!

I am not a mechanical engineer or a production engineer, but I am pretty sure it is just a question of tolerances and reliability. So it is a solvable problem. But it can turn out to be a net loss on them, as in they cost more to develop and produce than they bring in extra sales.

To go with FWD back in I think it was 2012 seems like a unnecessary risky decision. Now they can pull it off because they are in a much better position with S than they had reason to believe in 2012.

FWD are a design error.
I am sorry, I can`t say this any other PC way: neither of your statements are true. The first is an opinion negated by every owner report (or just casual man-of-the-street internet commentary) I`ve read so far that lists the doors as a major WOW factor. The second is just simply not true. Read the X threads - the only thing people complained about was that the doors can be a bit too cautious, stopping half the way - but recent reports of new calibrations and better sensor adhesives seems to have fixed these initial minor issues.

Clearly not true. Not even remotely true. No need to lie about it.

BTW, I saw my first Model X in the flesh this past weekend and it was stunning.

Sorry to disagree, but absolutely true, I do not talk about a couple (500) of Model X out there.
I am talking about thousands that should have been delivered by now.
And about thousands that should already be on the road for a year!

Last edited:
If tesla wants to move up the Earnings Release to today I'd be okay with that.

Also, I really don't want to hear the new CFO on the call. I sincerely hope Deepak is on the call. He is a trustworthy voice on these calls. Save the introduction of the new CFO for the next CC.

I am sorry, I can`t say this any other PC way: neither of your statements are true. The first is an opinion negated by every owner report (or just casual man-of-the-street internet commentary) I`ve read so far that lists the doors as a major WOW factor. The second is just simply not true. Read the X threads - the only thing people complained about was that the doors can be a bit too cautious, stopping half the way - but recent reports of new calibrations and better sensor adhesives seems to have fixed these initial minor issues.

You are correct about the few FWDs that are delivered by now (about 500?!).
I am talking about the thousands that Tesla was not able to deliver cause the FWDs are complicated.

That MS note sounds sober, fair and reasonable to me.
Well, if you can overlook the fact that the very first point already shows the complete lack of understanding of Tesla`s situation. Or do they think Tesla couldn`t hand produce a few Rolls Royce quality, pre-selected cars for review purposes? Nonsense.

Fact: Tesla has about 2-3 months worth of backlog of Model S, the breadwinner for the company, already in mature production.
Fact: The model X has a 6+month backlog even at full production and that will only happen in about a month or so.
Fact: Car companies have magazines and TV shows review their products to generate sales for those products by getting a good review.

Million dollar question: would you turn advertising up on a product where every new order will only be fulfilled 6 months from now or focus the public attention on the product that is already being built like there is no tomorrow and means income in 2 months?

Long time lurker, but never posted here. This post is more my musings for sorting out my own investment strategy versus advice to others, but figured I'd share...pardon the rough numbers or assumptions. The market has dropped 10% over the last couple of months while TSLA has dropped say 35%. Some additional drop can be attributed to TSLA growth stock volatility, but the additional drop is something more. Model X ramping problems seem to have been present and valid enough to substantiate additional drop. Tesla's limited communication on this issue may have exacerbated the fear, but I also appreciate a company not feeling the need to answer to shareholders immediately over every issue or non-issue.

I am very intrigued by the slowing/halt of supercharger location expansion, and hopeful that it is not in order to reduce spending in an effort to cater to quarterly numbers. This would seem to stray from long-term goals in an effort to appease Wall Street, and isn't a direction I would like them to move.

For me personally, I think any Model X issues will be manageable and, aside from something catastrophic, not an issue in the long run. Importance placed on many things in the pipeline for Tesla is forgotten or not stressed on Wall Street until Tesla delivers, at this point. Tesla Energy and the Gigafactory, growth of Model S in current and new markets, Model X ramp and reviews, Model 3 reservations and production timing, and numerous other unknowns may be illuminated over the next 3-6 months (or few days) and I am excited to see it all happen.

In general, TSLA downturn feels like a short-sighted over-reaction. However, I am a bit nervous for my June 16 and January 17 calls, which were once ITM but no longer. Some shares converted to Jan 18 leaps, but mostly keeping shares. No liquidity or risk tolerance, I suppose you could say, for buying any additional shares at this point.

Last edited:
Well, if you can overlook the fact that the very first point already shows the complete lack of understanding of Tesla`s situation. Or do they think Tesla couldn`t hand produce a few Rolls Royce quality, pre-selected cars for review purposes? Nonsense.

This would be pure gambling:
Hand produce high quality with tremendous cost and at the same time no normal production in the factory at higher numbers to deliver to actual customers?
Really you want TM to do such things?

You are correct about the few FWDs that are delivered by now (about 500?!).
I am talking about the thousands that Tesla was not able to deliver cause the FWDs are complicated.

What we do know is that the complicated FWD design caused the delay until mid last year. What we also know is that production could not start up after that due to the monopost seat and windshield glass manufacturers being unable to ramp quick enough (with quality). everything else is speculation until proven otherwise. Hopefully we will be smarter after Wednesday.

- - - Updated - - -

This would be pure gambling:
Hand produce high quality with tremendous cost and at the same time no normal production in the factory at higher numbers to deliver to actual customers?
Really you want TM to do such things?
Nope, never said that. what I was saying is that the latest MS report makes it sound like Tesla is afraid to give review samples to journalists. I was saying that even if production was held back do to manufacturing issues, they could build cars for testing purposes. I would also not favor doing so, BTW.

Model X is still in beta and that is the root of the problems. They can do this beta launch approach because of their customer base.
It was not delayed just because of the door and the windshield, a big reason was also Model S and that they wanted to focus on increasing production for that and add new things to it. Model X became less critical because of the success of S.

There is problems with the doors but that there are manufacturing problems is normal with any car.

Thanks for posting this. I wanted to call out these two parts specifically as I think this is likely to be key to a good Q&A session during the ER. Full disclosure is something that the company has always skipped around and I think things would likely be better off if they were more open and honest about things. As a strong believer in the company, them being straightforward with investors is something that would be great. They could afford to be less clear when everything was going great. Now that we have had various troubles over the past year or so with getting things ramped up, they need to start being more open about the issues and how that will impact the bottom line. Even if this means the price drops further after the ER, giving realistic and clear information is going to be key to restoring investor confidence.

Agreed. Further to that, I feel that they've (Elon specifically) have screwed up communication so bad, they need to go two steps further. Have a public weekly conference call or at least publish update that will list: set of challenges, progress made past week, levels of production and keep this going all the way until issues are resolved.

Once you're not trusted, it's hard to overturn opinion.
As an investor, I would much rather know how bad things are, then let worst case phantasms drive short term SP.
If issues are worse than worst cases published, yes please, keep them under the carpet, which is how market sees TSLA now.

I fully agree with Mr. Doubleb.

Customers first. The order book seems full for at least 6 month full speed MX production anyway , pushing for more big news stories must wait until production has ramped up anyway.

No production -> no product -> no customer.

- - - Updated - - -

Model X is still in beta and that is the root of the problems. They can do this beta launch approach because of their customer base.
It was not delayed just because of the door and the windshield, a big reason was also Model S and that they wanted to focus on increasing production for that and add new things to it. Model X became less critical because of the success of S.

There is problems with the doors but that there are manufacturing problems is normal with any car.

Normally cars do not come with FWDs.

Honestly I do not only think about FWD issues with production.
I think that validation and testing, especcially long term testing, for FWDs was rushed and we might get a FWD related recall in a couple of years.

Agreed. Further to that, I feel that they've (Elon specifically) have screwed up communication so bad, they need to go two steps further. Have a public weekly conference call or at least publish update that will list: set of challenges, progress made past week, levels of production and keep this going all the way until issues are resolved.

Once you're not trusted, it's hard to overturn opinion.
As an investor, I would much rather know how bad things are, then let worst case phantasms drive short term SP.
If issues are worse than worst cases published, yes please, keep them under the carpet, which is how market sees TSLA now.

There is an endless list of potential problems for the company. You don't want Elon spending half his time correcting speculation about problems between ER. Also, there is legal issues with disclosing things when you are dealing with third parties.

You either need a chill pill, or are just lying. There are not thousands of Model X's on the road. We'll get a clearer picture in the ER call. Your typical posts have a seedling of truth wrapped in hyperbolic bear droppings.

Sorry to disagree, but absolutely true, I do not talk about a couple of Model X out there I am talking about thousands and already Xs that are a year on the road!

Just to provide some prospective, InsideEV's has an estimate of 370 Model X's delivered in NA for January, 2016. That's more than the VW e-Golf, the Audi A3 e-tron, the BMW i3, the BMW x5 xDrive40e, and so forth. Would we like there to be more? Of course. At roughly 600+ delivered, That's 50% more than the Porsche Panamera E-hybrid in NA all last year. It's more than half of all of 2015's Kia Soul EV in NA.

600+ Model X's delivered is not zero delivered, or "no production" at all. At the 370 level, annualized that's more than the VW e-Golf in all of 2015, more than the Prius PHV, and almost double the BMW i8's. Maybe the butterfly doors in the i8 are a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.