Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What happens to shorted SCTY stock during the merger?

Is it reasonable to assume those who short SCTY into the merger will have to cover since the original owners will have to recall their shares to be converted to TSLA?

Just my simplistic look at this. Does anyone know?
I don't know for sure, but I imagine the brokerages would just do the bookkeeping and convert the holdings to TSLA. I don't think a recall would have to happen.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I don't know for sure, but I imagine the brokerages would just do the bookkeeping and convert the holdings to TSLA. I don't think a recall would have to happen.

I assumed it worked like you said it would. Is there a chance it won't? That would be the greatest short squeeze of all time wouldn't it? There are only 6 trading days between earnings and vote. How big is the short interest in SCTY right now? Days to cover?

Since I was personally invited ;)

1. The markets Tesla serves are vast and market trends now strongly favor Tesla. The EV space was seen as a small niche market until Tesla proved with the Model S that a long distance EV is not only possible but a much better experience than an ICE car.

Agreed. The market has huge potential. But a sizeable transition from ICE won't happen overnight. 500k Model 3 would be a huge achievement, but to provide context. there were 82M cars produced in 2014. As the transition happens from ICE, the ICErs aren't going to go quietly in the night. It will be a battle. Which brings me to the second point...

2. Tesla has a compelling and defensible competitive advantage.
This can be seen best in autos, where the unwillingness of the large competitors to embrace the long distance EV space for so long has allowed Tesla to innovate through multiple product cycles while the others are mostly just getting started. The resulting technological gap can't be closed just by throwing money at the problem, because it also requires focus and the time necessary to come up the learning curve. And what possible innovation can come from startups or the large auto makers that Tesla isn't already doing or could easily replicate with their engineering talent?

Actually, this is exactly the kind of problem that can be addressed by throwing money at the problem. Of course, anyone has to have the desire to do so but if (1 ) happens, that will happen to. Need batteries? Call up Panasonic. Need engineers? $1M sign up bonuses go a long way to getting them. And that is where the real competitive advantage in this game will come from: access to capital.

3. Execution. Many outsiders see this as a weakness of Tesla because of missed deadlines and the Model X production problems. But if you step back and look at the pace at which Tesla has engineered and delivered advanced product capabilities it is astounding.

Agreed. But if Tesla is fighting wars on multiple fronts, (battery, solar, cars, trucks, Uber, making a real dent in the 80M cars sold every year) the issue of execution and the need for is greatly magnified.

...I invite @Value Ev, @myusername, @brian45011, @bonaire, @mmd and the other doubters to shoot holes in my thesis. Fire away!

Tesla is a good bet and a "fun" bet. But it is still a bet as they try to step up from innovative niche company to changing multiple industries at once.

I'm still trying to wrap my pea-brain about how the arbitrage gap would work in this instance (assuming there is one). If one goes into the merger with an open short position what happens?

1) If you have to have an incorrect multiple of SCTY to TSLA. What happens to the difference? Does the broker just take the difference back?

2) What happens with the arbitrage gap? If there is one, does the broker just demand you cover the difference, since you most likely borrowed the shares for less than what an equivalent TSLA would be worth, given the current arbitrage gap.

These are assuming that you can keep your short position through the merger. I would presume it would be safest to just cover the position and wait it out. But what do I know, not much is the answer.

I'm still trying to wrap my pea-brain about how the arbitrage gap would work in this instance (assuming there is one). If one goes into the merger with an open short position what happens?

1) If you have to have an incorrect multiple of SCTY to TSLA. What happens to the difference? Does the broker just take the difference back?

2) What happens with the arbitrage gap? If there is one, does the broker just demand you cover the difference, since you most likely borrowed the shares for less than what an equivalent TSLA would be worth, given the current arbitrage gap.

These are assuming that you can keep your short position through the merger. I would presume it would be safest to just cover the position and wait it out. But what do I know, not much is the answer.
I don't think the arbitrage gap is relevant, because it's really just a case of getting 1 TSLA share for every 9.0909... that you hold, no matter what the prices are at the time. (Anyway, the arb gap should completely disappear as soon as the positive vote is in.) For positive shares, I think you'll be paid out for any fractional share at the TSLA closing price on the day the swap happens. I imagine if you're short 90 SCTY shares at that instant, you will end up short 9 TSLA shares, and your account will be docked the cost of 0.9 of a TSLA. It's really just a shareholding of a negative number of shares.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So TD called me today (finally) with my control number. Went to www.proxyvote.com and voted my UGE number of shares...LOL.

Glad to take part in history. Go Elon!
I already voted my shares weeks ago, but not before waiting then asking for the control # to be sent. Then, yesterday, I received three more control numbers. Two I had already voted, and one took a fresh vote. I thought I had already voted all my shares before yesterday, but apparently not. If someone gets more of their own proper control numbers, they should verify they voted them all, because in my case, I had one more to do (for whatever reason; a redo because of my request, or something else, maybe some margin issue).

• Informative
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
What happens to shorted SCTY stock during the merger?

Is it reasonable to assume those who short SCTY into the merger will have to cover since the original owners will have to recall their shares to be converted to TSLA?

Just my simplistic look at this. Does anyone know?

Considering that options basically just turn into the equivalent Tesla options, I am assuming the same with short positions, but I do not know that for sure. What I am really curious about is how many SCTY short positions also would want to be short in TSLA after the merger. I've looked it up before and short interest hasn't dipped below 20% for SCTY for years, so I assume a significant portion of them are long-term bankruptcy type thesis positions, but I don't know. SCTY has been portrayed to be in such a worse position than Tesla that, similar to how Tesla was in 2013, that I wonder if a significant amount of SCTY short positions will cover before/during/after the merger. Could be interest to see how things shake out.

I will take red (room temp) wine with my steak when it gets served in my second car on the train :cool:

All kidding aside, the prospect of a European factory becoming more of a reality is a good sign for TM...and Long Term TSLA
European factory in Germany is a subtle but very effective political move by Tesla to separate the interests of the entrenched German ICE auto industry from the German people.

1in 8 Germans are directly employed by the auto industry, three times as many in related service industry, which means half the population of Germany have existential crisis if they lag behind EV. By this master stroke, Tesla will have German People behind it instead of against. Just brilliant!

Now, I wonder what sops will German govt shower upon Tesla for this massive battery+auto factory. My bet is that, between German govt, Panasonic, and Tesla, Tesla's capital commitment will be no more than 20% of the total project cost; about $2 billion out of ~$10 billion. If so, that would be one heck of great deal!

European factory in Germany is a subtle but very effective political move by Tesla to separate the interests of the entrenched German ICE auto industry from the German people.

1in 8 Germans are directly employed by the auto industry, three times as many in related service industry, which means half the population of Germany have existential crisis if they lag behind EV. By this master stroke, Tesla will have German People behind it instead of against. Just brilliant!

Now, I wonder what sops will German govt shower upon Tesla for this massive battery+auto factory. My bet is that, between German govt, Panasonic, and Tesla, Tesla's capital commitment will be no more than 20% of the total project cost; about $2 billion out of ~$10 billion. If so, that would be one heck of great deal!

Given this greater investment in Germany/Europe, I have to wonder if the work on the 100 kWh battery will be to extend it's high speed battery cooling capability. I recall many German posters saying how Tesla's can't keep up on the Autobahn.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
Many shareholders in Europe have the same problem, their / our brokers do not vote the shares they 'hold on behalf of their customers' and do not forward / hand out any proxy codes. I have e-mailed Tesla-IR but did not get any response at all. Maybe some more here can inform Tesla & SCTY -IR.

I hold a 'nice number' of both TSLA and SCTY shares on the NASDAQ via a Dutch broker named "DeGiro" and would love to vote with them, so if anybody has a solution, please PM me. (and also leave a message here for the others).

I have seen quite many mentions of this problem now, TSLA and SCTY must be missing out on quite a few YES votes because of this.
I'm in the same boat with Degiro.es, would love to vote my meaningful number of TSLA and SCTY shares. Degiro's Spanish support aren't replying to my emails on the subject. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe it is as simple as this:

If at the time of the merger you are short 1000 shares of SCTY then effective with the date and time of the merger you are then short 110 shares of TSLA. (1000 * 0.11). If it works out to a fractional share then so be it, you hold a fractional share. When you sell (or in this case, buy to cover) your broker will liquidate/handle the fractional share - they deal with this all the time with dividend reinvestments, etc.

Mike

Actually, this is exactly the kind of problem that can be addressed by throwing money at the problem. Of course, anyone has to have the desire to do so but if (1 ) happens, that will happen to. Need batteries? Call up Panasonic. Need engineers? $1M sign up bonuses go a long way to getting them. And that is where the real competitive advantage in this game will come from: access to capital.

Except no. Tesla already is working with Panasonic to build more batteries. GM or Ford or whoever can't simply call up Panasonic (or SamsungSDI or Sanyo or LGChem or whoever) and get enough batteries to build their entire fleet as EVs next year. The battery production capacity isn't even close to being sufficient, and nobody is working on building enough. Tesla realized that 3-4 years ago and started working on building GF. Before GF was even open, Tesla realized it STILL wasn't going to be even close to being enough, and started working on GF2. Money *can* help grease the wheels, but the longer they wait to start, the more Tesla will steal their market share, and the less money they'll have to do it with. Money can't remove the physical limitation of how long it takes to actually build a factory. Some jobs can't be made faster with more money or people.

I bet that the car portion of the factory will be capable of producing whatever the projected demand is for M3 and MY in Europe, plus TE.

Your 500k could be correct, but I bet it will be at least 750k M3 and designed to accommodate an equal number of MY's. I also bet that the GF will be capable of producing between 100 and 200 GWh (in phases).
I'm hoping they can get near 1.5M units with all the emphasis on manufacturing excellence. If the incumbent can get 500K I'm hoping 2-3x improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.