Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
10:1 on a German site.
5:1 on aJapan site.
The article quoted Musk as saying that gigafactory 2 will be in Europe, but Asia sure makes sense.
European factory in Germany is a subtle but very effective political move by Tesla to separate the interests of the entrenched German ICE auto industry from the German people.

1in 8 Germans are directly employed by the auto industry, three times as many in related service industry, which means half the population of Germany have existential crisis if they lag behind EV. By this master stroke, Tesla will have German People behind it instead of against. Just brilliant!

Now, I wonder what sops will German govt shower upon Tesla for this massive battery+auto factory. My bet is that, between German govt, Panasonic, and Tesla, Tesla's capital commitment will be no more than 20% of the total project cost; about $2 billion out of ~$10 billion. If so, that would be one heck of great deal!
That's what I thought when I first heard it too. What a shot across the bow, or more like into the hull.

The article quoted Musk as saying that gigafactory 2 will be in Europe, but Asia sure makes sense.

I think China makes the most sense of all, all things being equal. However, the Chinese government's protectionist policies and disrespect for intellectual property are probably keeping Elon from going there immediately. It's a sticky problem, because even if they set up shop in a nearby country e.g. India or Japan, with the intent of supplying the Chinese market from there... the Chinese will tax Tesla on the imported cars.

What works in Tesla's favour is that they're the best hope for volume production of quality, desirable cars that the Chinese will actually want to drive. As the air quality/climate problems worsen in China, the positional movements may come from the Chinese side.

Just to keep this focused on short term... Dow Jones futures currently show a drop of 460 points, pretty severe. I'm sure TSLA and SCTY will take it on the chin to some degree tomorrow, if Trump wins, even though the concrete reasons why would be fairly speculative.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I think China makes the most sense of all, all things being equal. However, the Chinese government's protectionist policies and disrespect for intellectual property are probably keeping Elon from going there immediately. It's a sticky problem, because even if they set up shop in a nearby country e.g. India or Japan, with the intent of supplying the Chinese market from there... the Chinese will tax Tesla on the imported cars.

What works in Tesla's favour is that they're the best hope for volume production of quality, desirable cars that the Chinese will actually want to drive. As the air quality/climate problems worsen in China, the positional movements may come from the Chinese side.

Just to keep this focused on short term... Dow Jones futures currently show a drop of 460 points, pretty severe. I'm sure TSLA and SCTY will take it on the chin to some degree tomorrow, if Trump wins, even though the concrete reasons why would be fairly speculative.

We have to remember that china is betting big on EVs. Recall byd and others. Not sure they would care for an American company cutting into this future (except to garner tesla's battery tech).

Germany has been totally invested in gas and diesel, and I'm sure there's a component of gratitude from Elon to the Germans and Daimler for having faith in him. So to flip the world to EVs it does make sense for Elon to co-opt Europe/Germany rather than to fight them.

Yeah China does make the most sense in a way, but it's not the IP problems, their patents are open anyway. The real issue is that China expects all outside companies to partner with a Chinese company and give them at least 51% ownership. Musk avoids giving up control as much as possible so I think that has been holding back a China deal, and now they are talking about possibly removing the partnership stipulation as they sort of "grow up" economically, so I think Musk probably figured hey let's just start with Europe and maybe that will buy enough time to see if China will let them do their own thing. Of any US company I think Tesla probably has the most leverage over China since they make really high quality, high brand recognition stuff, and they have maybe the greatest need for emission-less cars and energy.

Projections have Ohio going for Trump, and Florida looks extremely unlikely to go to Clinton at this point too.

Stock futures are crashing accordingly.

I personally may look for an exit strategy between now and January if Trump is victorious. I'm mostly worried about SCTY being in tow in a highly charged anti-renewable environment, but this victory can very much empower the various anti-Tesla, anti-EV legislature floating about the US now. Not to mention the recession risk and global destabilization risk could be incredibly bad while Tesla is simultaneously ramping up Model 3 for insane volume by 2018 and expanding globally.

• Disagree
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
Yeah China does make the most sense in a way, but it's not the IP problems, their patents are open anyway. The real issue is that China expects all outside companies to partner with a Chinese company and give them at least 51% ownership. Musk avoids giving up control as much as possible so I think that has been holding back a China deal, and now they are talking about possibly removing the partnership stipulation as they sort of "grow up" economically, so I think Musk probably figured hey let's just start with Europe and maybe that will buy enough time to see if China will let them do their own thing. Of any US company I think Tesla probably has the most leverage over China since they make really high quality, high brand recognition stuff, and they have maybe the greatest need for emission-less cars and energy.
In china if you have 100% ownership that still doesn't mean you 'own' it. One of the reason china wouldn't be the top choice in my opinion.

Man Trump looking good. We are looking at a crash tomorrow like -1000 Dow.

Liberals dumping their shares as they are never up for a good fight. Sad. Trump is great for overall markets. Remember Brexit folks!
DUDE... Brexit was something that was going to happen in 2 years... Trump is something that will happen in 2 months!... There is no way to wiggle out of this like Brexit... there's no way to "pad" it... it's just a freaking nutjob is about to take over the United States!

• Disagree
Reactions: CALGARYARSENAL
Status
Not open for further replies.