Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not rocket science...
I think it's time we retired that phrase. Rocket science is older than computer science. And I actually think computer science is a more complex discipline that rocket science. Rocket science is essentially applied Newtonian physics. The achievements in computer science these days take a far more abstract mind with far more variables that rocketry. I'm not downplaying landing a rocket on a barge, it's an awesome achievement. But I think self driving cars for example are a far more complex science than landing a rocket.

Still think elons team are more than capable of both.

It's actually rocket engineering. Of course Green Pete implied that when he called it applied Newtonian physics. Indeed as he suggests, the science was done long ago.

Who knew short term investing could be so darn funny? I'm going to need to invest in coal

How about instead of being negatively cryptic, just spit it out. What is your point of view? Or more exactly, why is your point of view negative yet again about the contents of a meeting you have no idea about? I understand the article tries to imply that the meeting will go the same way as the 'media' meeting, but those from Silicon Valley are not 'media' people. They are very successful entrepreneurs who provide jobs for tens of thousands of Americans and lead the world in many venues.
Your once again personal attack was unnecessary after all, looks like Elon is too busy to attend Actually, Elon Musk might skip Trump tech summit

Hate has many flavors and is addictive. The 60s and early 70s were the years of love, compassion and inclusion. The hate machine turned it into the "free love generation" and trashed us that served during the Vietnam conflict. I enlisted. We went from a draft to an all volunteer army. The fossil fuel industry ensured that we in the military had cheap gas. In Germany as with any other country with high gas prices had gas coupons subsidized soldiers purchase of gas by all tax payers.
Since the Regean administration the middle class and walking poor have paid extremely high subsidies with our taxes to the fossil fuel industry or the ultimate freeloaders. Oh, and carried the burden of the freeloaders.
My grandmother gave my Mother the "Bad time to bring kids into the world" story since I was born shortly after the atomic bombs were released. Now the world is supposed to come to an end due to climate change or whatever you choose to call it. Exon Mobile knew back when I spent a month (1978) in 114 degree heat becoming a cannon cocking (Field Artillery) second lieutenant at Fort Sill, Oklahoma that climate change was mans fault.
So, if you wish to call me Chicken Little ~ please do if it helps your addiction to hate. If I am correct, we need to go full tilt into taking corrective action NOW. If I am wrong, and I hope I am and that fifty years from now only most species will be dead but man will adapt and be just fine.
Since I am correct, you will find that people like me to include my grandchildren, I call them my Grandpups will buy the Model X and the Model III without tax incentives. We will vote for Mother Earths survival.
The village idiot will keep voting for curruption and extinction. The Good Guy can win, I did and I will.
After the November 2016 election I find mysel as the lone wolf, last dragon rider or last surviving United States Army Officer. Please do not make my life a waste of time, stop your addiction to hate.

What exactly is the first principle explanation for why Tesla would beat out all the other OEMs to a superior automation solution when everybody else needs to fight for small percentage margins, and are willing to make politically unfavorable decisions of moving that labor offshore, etc to accomplish it. How do you know Elon isn't just geeking out in an abstract sense and doesn't know enough about manufacturing yet to actually predict what's possible?

Welcome to the Tesla Motors Club, AcesDealt. Please tell us more about yourself.

The competitors are encumbered by long lists of legacy concerns. Meanwhile, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has hired vastly experienced executives to aid the company in developing highly efficient 21st century manufacturing and distribution systems right from the beginning.

Competitors must envy the nearly 400,000 reservations for the Model 3 that won't be produced until the second half of next year. Once those folks receive their cars, their friends will all want one. With that kind of demand, margins can grow quite wide.

Last edited:
I think it's time we retired that phrase. Rocket science is older than computer science. And I actually think computer science is a more complex discipline that rocket science. Rocket science is essentially applied Newtonian physics. The achievements in computer science these days take a far more abstract mind with far more variables that rocketry. I'm not downplaying landing a rocket on a barge, it's an awesome achievement. But I think self driving cars for example are a far more complex science than landing a rocket.

Still think elons team are more than capable of both.

While rocket science is older and in fact can pretty much be summarized in one equation:

9db5b4589ff9a385687c2474c5aef823eeece133

The reason of said quote and also of "Space is hard" is because of the extremely low margin of error. While most projects, constructions and developments can rely on a large margin of error and hence can occasionally gloss over some shady regions of understanding, then this is not true for rocket science where any extra gram of the rocket means a lot more lost on the payload. It's a region where you have to really and truly understand what the hell you are doing or the thing just blows up (or well experiences a RUD, Rapid Unplanned Disassembly). As an example the AMOS-6 on-pad explosion came from unplanned liquid-gas dynamics that caused helium pressure vessel loading process to subcool the already subcooled oxygen below freezing temperature and cause solid oxygen crystals inside the pressure vessel liner that during expansion (pressurization) cut the fibers and ignited with carbon. It's an extreme boundary condition of interplay of complex plumbing and timing processes. That makes space hard and rocket science still being the ultimate field of knowledge.

mm
What exactly is the first principle explanation for why Tesla would beat out all the other OEMs to a superior automation solution when everybody else needs to fight for small percentage margins, and are willing to make politically unfavorable decisions of moving that labor offshore, etc to accomplish it. How do you know Elon isn't just geeking out in an abstract sense and doesn't know enough about manufacturing yet to actually predict what's possible?

The United Auto Workers.

Plus, the other Unions in Europe,South Korea, and Japan.

Every specific job, removal and addition must be negotiated.

Tesla, while eliminating some jobs, will retrain workers in other areas quickly without a Union interfering and slowing things down.

Overall Tesla employment will go up and wages will go up. Reducing the chances Fremont and Gigafactory get unionized. Industrial unions are massive road blocks to innovation. They will do everything in their power to keep outdated skills from joining the dustbin of history.

This is even if Senior Management at the Legacy Automakers wanted to leapfrog Tesla innovation.

Actually, Elon Musk might skip Trump tech summit

Do we know what Elon has to do on Wednesday that is more important then meeting the newly elected president? If you like Trump or not, I think it's important that Elon meets with him.
Maybe by skipping he might get a chance of meeting with Trump one on one and get his full attention.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to trump recent comments on china. China is an important market for Tesla, regardless of whether a factory is built there or not. When your company is in the level of Tesla you have to be aware of international political ramifications of what you do, and meeting with trump would not serve him well in that regard.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
While rocket science is older and in fact can pretty much be summarized in one equation:

9db5b4589ff9a385687c2474c5aef823eeece133

The reason of said quote and also of "Space is hard" is because of the extremely low margin of error. While most projects, constructions and developments can rely on a large margin of error and hence can occasionally gloss over some shady regions of understanding, then this is not true for rocket science where any extra gram of the rocket means a lot more lost on the payload. It's a region where you have to really and truly understand what the hell you are doing or the thing just blows up (or well experiences a RUD, Rapid Unplanned Disassembly). As an example the AMOS-6 on-pad explosion came from unplanned liquid-gas dynamics that caused helium pressure vessel loading process to subcool the already subcooled oxygen below freezing temperature and cause solid oxygen crystals inside the pressure vessel liner that during expansion (pressurization) cut the fibers and ignited with carbon. It's an extreme boundary condition of interplay of complex plumbing and timing processes. That makes space hard and rocket science still being the penultimate field of knowledge.
if Tesla deploys a fleet of millions of automated vehicles... then every agile software patch that's over the air updated to the vehicles has the ability to kill millions of people... this was not the same in the history of the space program... truth is, what Tesla has bet the farm on is easily more difficult than "space".

What about 'same team' or '... keep your enemies even closer'?

Tesla won't get any candies from Chinese just because Elon is not talking to his president.
It is mandatory that Trump is as aligned with Tesla as possible. This alignment will maximize with talking, not with turning heads and walking away.

No candies for sure. But potential political fallout. The same "trump shouldn't have taken the call from president of Taiwan" line of thought. It's sad that that is how politics works, but it is a sad reality.

To be fair. I have a hard time believing Page wouldn't speak on elons behalf.

Also I'm in the hopeful line of thought that this weeks autopilot update will push AP2.0 well beyond AP1.0. That's a pretty important launch that I doubt Elon would not watch closely.

if Tesla deploys a fleet of millions of automated vehicles... then every agile software patch that's over the air updated to the vehicles has the ability to kill millions of people... this was not the same in the history of the space program... truth is, what Tesla has bet the farm on is easily more difficult than "space".

Not to mention spacex's rocket development these days hinges more on software than hardware. Or that (I say this based of a possibly flawed memory) the majority of failure in space (mars landers etc) in the last decade have been programming related.

The same "trump shouldn't have taken the call from president of Taiwan" line of thought. It's sad that that is how politics works, but it is a sad reality.
Politics works like this as long one lets it work that way.
I am no American but I fully approve Trump talking with Taiwan.

If American president cannot talk to anyone he chooses, he is not the real president. Chinese are.

Or that (I say this based of a possibly flawed memory) the majority of failure in space (mars landers etc) in the last decade have been programming related.
False dichotomy.
Software is always part of a problem and solution. It is as separate as some sort of electronic parts are separate from the radio. It is one system made of many parts of different nature. It is just that the software seems easiest and cheapest to change.

Well at least Elon's fluent in both + the whole Open AI development.

Politics works like this as long one lets it work that way.
I am no American but I fully approve Trump talking with Taiwan.

If American president cannot talk to anyone he chooses, he is not the real president. Chinese are.

False dichotomy.
Software is always part of a problem and solution. It is as separate as some sort of electronic parts are separate from the radio. It is one system made of many parts of different nature. It is just that the software seems easiest and cheapest to change.

Well at least Elon's fluent in both + the whole Open AI development.

There's no way once autonomy gets in the privately owned fleet that updates will not start with in house fleet testing, move to small segment of public fleet, then gradually roll out worldwide. There would be no reason to update everything overnight. Unless you were Ford adding reveries.

Whether you like the President elect or not if he/she invites you to a meeting you go. You are running one publicly traded company and get much of your revenue from the government/government agencies for your private company. There is little downside to attending the meeting and inserting your vision/opinion.

mm

The United Auto Workers.

Plus, the other Unions in Europe,South Korea, and Japan.

Every specific job, removal and addition must be negotiated.

Tesla, while eliminating some jobs, will retrain workers in other areas quickly without a Union interfering and slowing things down.

Overall Tesla employment will go up and wages will go up. Reducing the chances Fremont and Gigafactory get unionized. Industrial unions are massive road blocks to innovation. They will do everything in their power to keep outdated skills from joining the dustbin of history.

This is even if Senior Management at the Legacy Automakers wanted to leapfrog Tesla innovation.
Perhaps the more material concern with the UAW is the cost of the retired employees.

Whether you like the President elect or not if he/she invites you to a meeting you go. You are running one publicly traded company and get much of your revenue from the government/government agencies for your private company. There is little downside to attending the meeting and inserting your vision/opinion.

Great, thanks a lot ... now no volume production of model 3 until at least July 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.