Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about 'same team' or '... keep your enemies even closer'?

Tesla won't get any candies from Chinese just because Elon is not talking to his president.
It is mandatory that Trump is as aligned with Tesla as possible. This alignment will maximize with talking, not with turning heads and walking away.

I'm not convinced any of that is true. We have no idea where Tesla is in terms of 'negotiations' or whathaveyou with China, but more importantly I don't think the President-Elect has to be aligned with Tesla or vice versa. Tesla isn't aligned with NADA, but rather The People. It's those who are helping Tesla win the right to sell and service directly, state by state. That's going to continue to happen as long as Elon and Tesla stay true to their goals and will only gain momentum. A tax credit for an EV is nice, but if it doesn't exist it's not the end of Tesla. SpaceX isn't aligned with ULA and certainly Elon showed no fear in taking them head on.

The President-Elect wields no special power over Elon Musk or his companies. He might be able to make certain aspects of doing business more difficult, but he can't stop them or he'll have to take on millions and millions and millions of people who aren't afraid to stand up for what this planet and future generations need. Indeed, we could discuss which of the two men has greater 'power of the people'.

When the big WS banks start adjusting price targets off of no news, you know something is afoot. We now have 2 banks recently putting out targets assuming Model 3 is significantly late, even though there is no news on this front and no justification given.

I can only assume that this is somehow loosely related to them not seeing mule out there testing so they assume it's late. All guidance from Elon says this thing is on track - working prototype with final drivetrain in March, pencils down 2 calls ago, testing subsystems on the last call, GGF on track, drive units to be mfg in GGF, paint shop done, stamping machine ready, automation firm purchased, Fremont set to double in size, exploring GGF2-3 in EU/China... but all analysts can look for are camo'd mules. The thing about electric cars is that they can run indoors without killing people. Treat Tesla like a traditional automaker at your own peril.

Whether you like the President elect or not if he/she invites you to a meeting you go. You are running one publicly traded company and get much of your revenue from the government/government agencies for your private company. There is little downside to attending the meeting and inserting your vision/opinion.

Meh. Elon Musk has never been afraid to do his own thing and if a 'dressing down' really occurred for the media last time, I can well imagine Elon Musk doing something really provocative (not in a sexual way people, get your minds out of the gutter) during such a meeting. In that case, it's better he stays home.

Regardless, we'll just have to trust Elon knows what he's doing whether he goes or not. Maybe he'll conference call or Skype. :)

Last night I came across a few articles that stated "Breakthrough Energy Ventures" planned to invest $150-$200 billion over the next 10-20 years, with that amount likely to increase. Was this a misprint or have most news sources not mentioned this yet?

It is around $ 1B, but the group possibly ramping to $ 30B in 2020.
The 170 B figure might come from the nett worth of the Billionaires behind the initiative. I recall reading that number somewhere.

P.S. note the abbreviation BEV :)

Edit : a bit more:

Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Vinod Khosla, Jack Ma, John Doerr and 15 other high-profile investors have formed a new venture firm, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, that will pour at least $1 billion into cleantech companies over the next 20 years.

BEV is the formal, venture investing initiative of the Breakthrough Energy Coalition, a group announced at the 2015 Paris Climate Change Conference. The group, comprised of tech and finance all-stars, pledged to invest in early-stage startups in nations that were ramping up their public, R&D funding for cleantech, to reach a collective $30 billion by 2020.

From : Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos and 18 others commit $1 billion to new cleantech fund, Breakthrough Energy Ventures

Last edited:
These recent analyst reports are missing a key component: conversations with or observational analysis of Telsa, their suppliers, or their competition - empirical data. Given that the analyses seem to be made up entirely of negative emotional opinions, and indeed contradict or ignore Tesla's own projections and entire divisions of their business, I view them the same way I view short selling: the more negative the better since their effect is to temporarily discount TSLA.

It certainly may be a waste of his time and no matter how the vote count went he is the President elect. If you want your voice/opinion/vision heard, you go. As the CEO of a company that I invest in I want him there.

You think simply because you're in the same room that somehow that makes one's opinion heard? Please, now.

As the CEO of a company that I invest in, I want him to do what he always does (do what he thinks is best to get to the end goal) whether I agree with it or not.

These recent analyst reports are missing a key component: conversations with or observational analysis of Telsa, their suppliers, or their competition - empirical data. Given that the analyses seem to be made up entirely of negative emotional opinions, and indeed contradict or ignore Tesla's own projections and entire divisions of their business, I view them the same way I view short selling: the more negative the better since their effect is to temporarily discount TSLA.

Another way to look at it is there's not much more downside to the analysts' PTs.....but lots of upside. Since Andrea left we don't have a single analyst that asked questions on the CCs that proves that they 'get it'.

$30 billion for a company that's growing over 50% per year, with over $7 billion in revenue this past year, and (practically) unlimited demand for their products? Yes please.....

It remains to be seen whether Mr. Musk will be there or not. The news clip above said he "might not attend". Since his friend Peter Thiel is one of those putting this together, I think we may see Elon Musk join the others after all when Wednesday comes around.

"According to Recode, invitations to the meeting were signed by Trump's son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner, chief of staff Reince Priebus, and billionaire tech investor Peter Thiel, a Silicon Valley figure who came out openly early on in favor of Trump."

Trump, tech executives may try to untangle relationship

The 170 B figure might come from the nett worth of the Billionaires behind the initiative. I recall reading that number somewhere.

Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, Vinod Khosla, Jack Ma, John Doerr and 15 other high-profile investors have formed a new venture firm, Breakthrough Energy Ventures, that will pour at least $1 billion into cleantech companies over the next 20 years.

BEV is the formal, venture investing initiative of the Breakthrough Energy Coalition, a group announced at the 2015 Paris Climate Change Conference. The group, comprised of tech and finance all-stars, pledged to invest in early-stage startups in nations that were ramping up their public, R&D funding for cleantech, to reach a collective $30 billion by 2020.

From : Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos and 18 others commit $1 billion to new cleantech fund, Breakthrough Energy Ventures

I have a hard time believing that is the real number. I suppose there will be a press conference sometime today? $1 billion is basically pocket change for that group. The $150-$200 billion by 2020 sounds believable, and necessary to make a real impact. I think there willl be a press conference today?

Love the name. BEV. Hmmm. I wonder where they plan to invest a large portion of the funds. :rolleyes:

Breakthrough Energy - Investing in a Carbonless Future

is the cloud of low delivery in Q4 cleared? The low InsideEvs numbers are still there, yet the stock bounced back. Someone on this forum said that Tesla already produced 26000 cars this quarter, so it is just a matter of delivery, but is that true? Even so, does Tesla have the delivery power for 26,000 car? Will the weather and Holiday Season be an excuse of failing on the delivery number?

I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of an investment but I wouldn't bet on it either. Supplying capital for Tesla's commercially available and sustainable energy solutions seems to be within BEV's bailiwick, but there are also a fair number of conflicts between this group and Tesla/Elon, not least of which was Khosla Ventures suing Solar City in late Sept -- apparently timed for max potential damage to SCTY/TSLA merger prospects.

SolarCity Accused of Taking Shingling Technology Secrets

Again, not saying it absolutely won't happen, but I wouldn't count on it either.

• Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
Why does it cost less to fly round trip from New York to Boston than it does to take Amtrak? Also, Amtrak trains are regularly 1-2 hours late and the quality of the service on the trains is pretty bad, compared to the rail systems in just about every country.

"Why pay less for more? Amtrak: moving the USA in the wrong direction." :D

Having regularly shipped a lot of goods around the US, trucks are also faster and cheaper than trains most of the time.

is the cloud of low delivery in Q4 cleared? The low InsideEvs numbers are still there, yet the stock bounced back. Someone on this forum said that Tesla already produced 26000 cars this quarter, so it is just a matter of delivery, but is that true? Even so, does Tesla have the delivery power for 26,000 car? Will the weather and Holiday Season be an excuse of failing on the delivery number?

Considering there progressively higher production rate 2,888 a week for the last 9 weeks doesn't seem totally out of the question. There were a couple of times when between downtimes when the factory was retooling and other things it seemed like Tesla was actually producing over 2500 units a week when running the lines. Another 13% increase doesn't seem out of the question.

Last night I came across a few articles that stated "Breakthrough Energy Ventures" planned to invest $150-$200 billion over the next 10-20 years, with that amount likely to increase. Was this a misprint or have most news sources not mentioned this yet?
That was a miss leading headline. The fund will be in the 1 billion range. The combined net worth of the investors is $150B ish. Interestingly this is only one of several energy inovation funds Bill Gates has going. He is really geeking out on energy lately.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: erthquake and EinSV

Looking at inventory VINs, I think production is fine, but I don't see inventory cars flying off of the shelf (but I do have non-US, Canadian lens). I don't see Tesla doing much either, so here are couple of options:
1) they'll make numbers and they know it
2) sales is a bit asleep at the wheel and/or
3) sales org indecisive, can't make a call if it's more important to make delivery numbers or margin numbers, so they continue regular process
4) they can't do much without hurting margin and they've decided margins are more important, or
5) I'm completely and utterly wrong

Reactions: StapleGun
if Tesla deploys a fleet of millions of automated vehicles... then every agile software patch that's over the air updated to the vehicles has the ability to kill millions of people... this was not the same in the history of the space program... truth is, what Tesla has bet the farm on is easily more difficult than "space".
Looks like you came around to factor TSLA will produce millions of cars. That's a start buddy!

Perhaps the more material concern with the UAW is the cost of the retired employees.

Retired employees are a huge financial burden but not an obstacle to innovation per se beyond absorbing cash that might otherwise go innovation.

UAW does want all outdated jobs to remain and does its most to keep employees from multi-tasking and evolving their duties. They want a specific worker only doing specific jobs. They want any new task done by a new dues paying worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.