Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Add the rest of the context, why take risk of loading a car up with gadgets.
Adding gadgets does not improve an EV . An Electric suv along the lines of model s would
Have been sufficiently impressive and sooner to market and cheaper to produce .
Hubris does not pay. A young company cannot afford expensive mistakes, and model
X Has been an expensive venture.

They are gadgets to some but they meet the demands of select markets. We just are not in those markets. You will get your simple SUV later. I could have lived without the FW doors and the auto-presenting front door but I love my X. Lots of growing pains, but worth it in the end.

Reactions: Drax7 and mejojo
Well, I suggest typing name of commonly accepted competitor :rolleyes: into the "+Add Item" field on the top of the chart - you know, Chevy Bolt - for laughs and giggles :)

Hah! Never seen a flat line so accurately describing the death on departure analogy by Tripn Chowder.

Interestingly, it also highlight Tesla's Global footprint, massive spike in interest in Serbia/Baltic state regions. Purely in the US for Bolt.

Tax hit from stock getting called away is another factor to take into consideration. I never let it gets called away.
If you write the call, you can't control whether it gets called away or not. Mostly people don't exercise before expiry, but it happens (I've done it! You can exercise at any time, for example when you see an anomaly in pre-market.)

Also tax consequences (in the US... not commenting on Lycanthrope's situation) depend on the strike price you write them for, whether they are in the money at the time of writing or not. This discussion should go in the options trading thread if anyone wants clarification.

The S curve, it's happening!!
View attachment 171000
If you put model s and model x, you can see people are searching them about twice as their historical high. Although not near as people's interest in tesla or the model 3. Still, I think Tesla collected ~300m cash for deposit, while getting more marketing benefit than ever for the S and X.

The S curve, it's happening!!
View attachment 171000

Same thing for "Tesla stock symbol:
google_searches.JPG

Reactions: Bgarret
Interestingly, it also highlight Tesla's Global footprint, massive spike in [Tesla Internet search] interest in Serbia/Baltic state regions. Purely in the US for Bolt.

While it is true that the GM Blot is called something different outside the US (and yes I'm going to leave that iPhone typo because its better). Search interest in this case is almost certainly dominated by Tesla enthusiasts looking it up for giggles.

While GM is feeling a bit sheepish, it could be much worse. Seems that nobody can even be bothered to laugh at the Toyota Mirai.

"Hydrogen and fuel cell vehicles is so stupid you can't even have a sensible conversation about it, in a couple of years that will become obvious". Or words to exactly that effect - Elon Musk about a couple of years ago.

Is there any practical reason for wanting a short squeeze? I get the impression that it's good for lulz and perhaps revenge against Tesla haters who tried to push the stock down, but I'd rather see steady growth than wild swings.

I sold 10% of my shares and bought calls a few weeks backs. Will be able to buy back double what i sold if i swap back now. I am holding on a while longer hoping for new ath.;-)

Just a way to accumulate more share without adding more funds.

Is there any practical reason for wanting a short squeeze? I get the impression that it's good for lulz and perhaps revenge against Tesla haters who tried to push the stock down, but I'd rather see steady growth than wild swings.

I agree from a long term perspective. But from the perspective of trading they represent an opportunity to make 10-100x return (with the right options) in a short period of time.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Same. I was a noob myself and learned a lot from the wonderful folks on this thread. This is not financial advice but take it for what it is, in the end I'm sure you know you are the best judge as to what strategy suits your personal style/risk profile.

If you have at least 100 shares of TSLA (or any stock) you can opt to sell (or write) a Call option @ a certain price until an expiration date. Writing a call option means you are entering a contract and an OBLIGATION to sell your shares at a price you set (obviously more than your acquisition cost), known as the strike up until the expiration date.

Obligation expires at the date you select (well, technically, based on rules set by the Chicago Board of options, there are Weekly, monthly and yearly expiration dates you can choose from).

This obligation that you entered earns you a premium, aka the price of the option.

They say 30% of options written expire worthless but there's a real chance your call option gets exercised by the option buyer. When that happens, your shares get called away, hence a call.

You may have to apply for that trading privilege from your broker.

More on options here: Options Basics: Introduction | Investopedia There may be other websites better than this that I hope other TMC'ers can provide.

Thanks - I do get the Investopedia emails, but never get around to reading, plus you have to put all these terms into the bigger picture.

So is a call option the same as a "put"?

I could make a call option for my shares today at $270 for mid-August and almost certainly be taken up on it. But in reality I expect the stock to be much higher, so that would be a stupid thing to do.

I'm trying to persuade the wife to go long. I think when the M3 actually gets released it's going to sky-rocket. I think if I sit on them 20 years I'll be richer than I could ever have imagined.

Status
Not open for further replies.