Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't want Tesla to grow it's footprint until 2018, right? You see no point in starting to build a presence in a new country in advance of the Model 3.

It seems to me we do not know what countries will respond well to Tesla before we enter them. For example Germany and China were supposed to be super market, but they were. And it's taken years just to get a footing. So why not enter with the Model S, and see how it goes. Then when Model 3 is ready to go, we've got fewer hickups to worry about. It takes years to get estabilished in a new market. So think we should just get on with it. If we're going to take deposit, we at least owe a small presence.

I just think Tesla can do more targeted expansion where it's going to do the most good. China was a special case IMO, (and frankly I think they should have entered South Korea first.)

Just received this email on my Model 3 reservation:

--
Thank you for reserving your Model 3. With your reservation, you are part of an exciting moment in history.

In the first 24 hours Model 3 received over 180,000 reservations, setting the record for the highest single-day sales of any product of any kind ever in world history.

More importantly, with your help, we took a huge step towards building a better future by accelerating the transition to sustainable transportation.

Like every Tesla, Model 3 is engineered to combine range, performance, utility and designed to be the safest car in its class. It accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than six seconds, and can travel 215 miles on a single charge. Starting at $35,000, Model 3 comes standard with Autopilot hardware and Supercharging capability.
"Sleek, quick as hell, and meant for the masses."
Wired

"It delivers what to my eye is the most agreeable, most romantic shape in the small-car class."
The Wall Street Journal

"The features are all there, and the overall design is gorgeous."
The Drive
We're currently increasing our production plans to minimize the wait for your Model 3. In the meantime, if you have questions about your reservation or Model 3, you can find all the information you need here.

Over the coming months we'll have more exciting updates to share with you about Model 3. Stay tuned!

Now the electrician world knows about Tesla Model 3 now. Mike Holt is huge in the electricians world. Any electrician that is keeping current knows of him.

Might not have an immediate impact on share price but now you have electricians knowing about it and possibly talking to customers about it, and hey they might even get some work from it to install a HPWC or 50a outlet or two.

Just got back from a solar conference in San Deigo and I was talking with solar installers that never heard of Tesla Motors. I was shocked.

There are still so many people that do not know about Tesla. And we get 325k in a week? Wowzers!!!

We are on the cusp folks.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    355.9 KB · Views: 105
I can get to the Tesla homepage. I can't get into the My Tesla webpage either the through the Tesla homepage or the link in tonight's Model 3 email. I suspect that is because the server is overwhelmed by people who received the email and are clicking the link.

Some of you make excellent bear arguments :)
IMO, future cancellation rate will eventually neutralize any further net increase to the reservation list when new reservations reach a trickle. Anyhow, no one can be sure how this will evolve. Peace.
In an incredibly tortured way, you basically said there will always be a backlog of about 325k cars, like we've experienced for 3 years with the Model S, despite mostly increasing ramp (more than 2x/yr). No need to correct me if I'm wrong - like to see the positive in things rather than hoping for the worst possible outcome to conform to some twisted view of reality.

I agree with Curt. TM expresses the similar wording in today's blog too, plus Elon mentioned a couple of times in Tweets. I think it's likely (not guaranteed) a revised model 3 production plan (with capital raise) will be announced shortly (over the weekend or next week). If TM assures the expedition and expansion M3 production, then SP will rally again. Keep finger crossed.

I also received that letter from Tesla within the hour. The sentence I quoted is key not only for car buyers, but also for investors.

Reactions: hoang51 and MikeC
dgWve2I.jpg

I think with the Model 3 reservation response we can start to see a path to 1 million cars in 2020. Tesla needs to bring Model Y into production by late 2018 as Model 3 hits 100k. Then in 2019 Model Y hits as 100k as Model 3 reaches 300k. Finally in 2020 we have:

Model S/X 200k
Model 3 500k
Model Y 300k
Model ? 100k

Yes, I know that adds to more than 1 million, but we could be missing a few parts. So it's good to aim high.

From the perspective of reaching 1 million in 2020, we really do need to kick off plans this year for a second autofactory and second gigafactory. Existing plants only really take us to 2018. We'll need auto capacity for 550k autos in 2019. And 100 GWh battery capacity by 2020.

So I am quite eager for a capital raise. Let's do this.

Last edited:
I agree with Curt. TM expresses the similar wording in today's blog too, plus Elon mentioned a couple of times in Tweets. I think it's likely (not guaranteed) a revised model 3 production plan (with capital raise) will be announced shortly (over the weekend or next week). If TM assures the expedition and expansion M3 production, then SP will rally again. Keep finger crossed.
I highly doubt any production plan can be formulated and announced in the next week. I'm willing to bet that Much more likely it will take a few months to sort Out a good plan to be able to produce hundred thousands of cars. What I'd agree is that Elon might throw a few tweets about working on a factory deal or two, in the coming weeks. He will probably try to prop up the stock further before a capital raise.

This is the short term thread, but I want to make my case for long(er) term patience.

I do not believe it is likely that we will significantly break through previous all-time highs. In fact, it wouldn't be healthy for the stock to fly past 280(ish) without a lengthy breather.

We've enjoyed a huge run up here. If you believe the long term bull argument, we WILL see new highs. I do not believe new highs will come quick. We have that glass ceiling to break through, and i think it will take many attempts, and quite possibly many months, to do so.

The quick returns, in my opinion, are done. Now let's trade cautiously as it likely spends a lot of time between 240 (even healthy behavior would suggest 200) and 280. Let it test the high. Let it consolidate. Let it test it again. Let it finally break through with conviction before we have our next bull run! This will take time.

Semi disagree. Recent downturn in feb-sticky with macro events and today-profit taking from algobots. TM widget remains great for gross revenue in both MS and MX. Capital expenditure was last Q.

The only reason for any down turn now is that TM was unprepared for amount of reservations of M3--get a bigger spreadsheet.

As previously mentioned earlier on this thread, if i were banker, i would be on my phone ready to make huge loan(s) for the now obvious need for other manufacturing and assembly facilities.

Over short and long term, price for TSLA is still very good. Remember when NFLX went from 150 to 75 overnight, and then proceeded to rise in the next several years to 700 points, there were wild swings, but in the end, we were all binge watching breaking bad while kiddos were glued to arthur...

Analysts just
This is the short term thread, but I want to make my case for long(er) term patience.

I do not believe it is likely that we will significantly break through previous all-time highs. In fact, it wouldn't be healthy for the stock to fly past 280(ish) without a lengthy breather.

We've enjoyed a huge run up here. If you believe the long term bull argument, we WILL see new highs. I do not believe new highs will come quick. We have that glass ceiling to break through, and i think it will take many attempts, and quite possibly many months, to do so.

The quick returns, in my opinion, are done. Now let's trade cautiously as it likely spends a lot of time between 240 (even healthy behavior would suggest 200) and 280. Let it test the high. Let it consolidate. Let it test it again. Let it finally break through with conviction before we have our next bull run! This will take time.

Today, someone said Fidelity had no TSLA shares available to short. I think we might want to check a few other brokerages and report back. If short shares are running short, such a situation could affect one's trading strategy.

Also, many of those 325,000 future Model 3 owners will be buying stock between now and delivery date. This development would of course affect SP. Let's try to figure out in the next few weeks how the trading behaviors we've come to expect with TSLA have been influenced by recent events.

Last edited:
Semi disagree. Recent downturn in feb-sticky with macro events and today-profit taking from algobots. TM widget remains great for gross revenue in both MS and MX. Capital expenditure was last Q.

The only reason for any down turn now is that TM was unprepared for amount of reservations of M3--get a bigger spreadsheet.

As previously mentioned earlier on this thread, if i were banker, i would be on my phone ready to make huge loan(s) for the now obvious need for other manufacturing and assembly facilities.

Over short and long term, price for TSLA is still very good. Remember when NFLX went from 150 to 75 overnight, and then proceeded to rise in the next several years to 700 points, there were wild swings, but in the end, we were all binge watching breaking bad while kiddos were glued to arthur...

Analysts just

I'm enthusiastic with you.

However, the market is a battle of bulls versus bears. It often follows patterns based in psychology. Yes, it often breaks those rules. But it is uncanny how, when one looks back, it follows them.

We are facing a major battle line in the 280 range. A battle line that has stood for over a year.

I don't think it is prudent for short term traders to simply think we will "walk" over this line. I think we should gird up for a (potentially lengthy) battle and be cautious. Once we push through, that Is the time to loudly sound the battle cry.

Last edited:
Today, someone said Fidelity had no TSLA shares available to short. I think we might want to check a few other brokerages and report back. If short shares are running short, such a situation could affect one's trading strategy.

Also, many of those 325,000 future Model 3 owners will be buying stock between now and delivery date. This development would of course affect SP. Let's try to figure out in the next few weeks how the trading behaviors we've come to expect with TSLA have been influenced by recent events.
I can confirm that trade station has no available TSLA shares to short as well.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
You think it'll at least hit 267 again (soon)?

I am a long term bull.

It is my opinion that we have had an amazing, euphoric recovery from a massive (buying opportunity!) dip caused by a lot of fear and uncertainty around the company. Much of this uncertainty has been resolved, and is reflected in our amazing run up that we've been gifted.

We will eventually bust to new highs.

However, whether we hit 167 in the short term is about as likely as hitting 147. I believe we will churn for a while. This is healthy, long term. Difficult to stomach if you are short term.

Be cautious! I do not believe the time is right to take home-run swings.

Status
Not open for further replies.