Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe we might see an unusually stable SP in the short term. There may be a bunch of new buyers looking to get in and a fair number of others ready to take a little profit, so these two groups may keep the SP trapped. The next substantial movement may require a good tweet or some actual good or bad news.

Edit: A slow climb is also possible.:)

Reactions: Hogfighter
Oil looks to be headed north of $40/b. I'm looking to lock in more SCO as an oil hedge for Tesla when oil hits $41.25 or stalls.

In my view, one of the biggest risks to Tesla SP short term is simply that oil will return to $30/b. Oil is getting hyped up right now, but the OPEC meeting in the middle of April will likely be a wet blanket. So with Tesla's bull run taking a breather, an oil crash can easily take it down. So you can weave and dodge trading Tesla, or short oil to hedge specific risk around oil hype.
Good point... Out of curiosity, what's your source (or what're your sources) for real-time oil prices/macro in general?

Basically subject to execution TSLA is now well on track to be worth more than Apple. Subject to Execution. It is very difficult to fully comprehend why that execution risk is low and a terrific information advantage to know that it is. While denial is way annoying it also Tesla's best protection as a business and the most profound trading advantage wrt to the TSLA stock.

Julian, Thanks for the excellent insightful commentary.

I want to zero in on the snippet above. To my simplistic mind the execution risk is very low because all they have to accomplish is to establish one very successful battery line and auto line. Then it becomes merely a task of copy-paste, which any good manager should be able to pull off. Sure there will be some geographic/regulatory subtleties but that is something Tesla can hire for. So execution risk is rather quite low.

Is that the right way to look at it? Do you have more to add?

Last edited:
Reactions: Drax7
Julain, Thanks for the excellent insightful commentary.

I want to zero in on the snippet above. To my simplistic mind the execution risk is very low because all they have to accomplish is to establish one very successful battery line and auto line. Then it becomes merely a task of copy-paste, which any good manager should be able to pull off. Sure there will be some geographic/regulatory subtleties but that is something Tesla can hire for. So execution risk is rather quite low.

Is that the right way to look at it? Do you have more to add?

You didn't ask me, but to my mind the biggest execution risk is managing financials while building out for M3. They are doubling a lot of things (SCs, superchargers, production capacity, employees) and investors will be spooked if things are not timed appropriately. This is tricky to balance given that accelerating production is the most important thing right now and this goal is in tension with the managing cash issue. Wheeler is going to have to earn his money these next 2 years,

I believe we might see an unusually stable SP in the short term. There may be a bunch of new buyers looking to get in and a fair number of others ready to take a little profit, so these two groups may keep the SP trapped. The next substantial movement may require a good tweet or some actual good or bad news.

Edit: A slow climb is also possible.:)

I'm in agreement with this. I think we've enjoyed a decent rise lately, the M3 euphoria and gobsmacking reservation numbers are out and factored in, and I don't anticipate a huge continued run up to Q1ER since we know deliveries are a miss. I don't think the ER will necessarily be bad overall, just that it's unlikely to have a huge buy the rumor. I also don't expect significant M3 ramp acceleration news for the next 30 days or so, as that requires some planning and is unlikely to materialize overnight.

As such, I wrote a covered May 6 call for $300. I chose the 6th rather than the standard May date just in case there's a jump right before the ER, which is likely to be after the 6th. I chose $300 because it's several bucks over the ATH and even with a rise I don't see us breaking the $280 and ATH resistance in that timeframe. If I turn out to be wrong and we get to $300 prior to then, well that's a first-world problem.

Not that anyone cares, but I wanted to get my rationale out there in case anyone wants to critique the trade or the thought process behind it.

Reactions: sub and Tenable
You didn't ask me, but to my mind the biggest execution risk is managing financials while building out for M3. They are doubling a lot of things (SCs, superchargers, production capacity, employees) and investors will be spooked if things are not timed appropriately. This is tricky to balance given that accelerating production is the most important thing right now and this goal is in tension with the managing cash issue. Wheeler is going to have to earn his money these next 2 years,

Properly picking suppliers that can actually deliver next time around would be good for starters. Also standing by their word of the 3 being "less complicated'. Seeing things like full glass roofs and "spaceship" like display and steering systems scares me. The guy can't help himself.

Last edited:
Oh, and the 3 will be produced in higher quantities than previously planned, but not released earlier than planned. Too much to do in a year and a half.
Well... looking at the reveal video and Elon's rather coy look as he said he was confident deliveries would start before the end of 2017... I initially took that as a self-deprecating joke about Tesla Time. But I can also see he could have plans to deliver much sooner, while keeping that a surprise for shock and awe results.

Properly picking suppliers that can actually deliver next time around would be good for starters. Also standing by their word of the 3 being "less complicated. Seeing things like full glass roofs and "spaceship" like display and steering systems scares me. The guy can't help himself.
Yeah, I sure don't want the Model ≡ expectations to go through the roof (it slices! it dices! it cooks breakfast!) and then the actual car being understandably less than those stratospheric expectations.

The price fell from 220 to 150 in January due to absurdity. So the run has really gone from 220 to 260....hardly cataclysmic.

The 3 reservations number shot a massive hole in one of the most common bear arguments, which is lack of demand for EVs. That's going to give the SP added support.

Now we need clarity on Free Cash Flow. That crushes the other bear argument, that Tesla (a) loses money of each vehicle, and (b) will run out of cash in a year. We need to be FCF positive in order to crack 300, IMHO.

Oh, and the 3 will be produced in higher quantities than previously planned, but not released earlier than planned. Too much to do in a year and a half.
I totally agree, FCF is the next thing to propel the stock. And because of this, I see few reasons to be aggressive as the past two months. We won't know any financial information until May ER which is a month away. The macro becomes choppy and VIX had a big jump. This is not good for any individual stocks. Looking from a TA perspective, TSLA also needs to rest a bit before the next big move. Not doom and gloom here, just think it needs some consolidation.

Note a joke: Maybe we should make an ultra-short term traders thread where people can discuss what people think for the next hour or two. I know if I were a day trader I would appreciate that. And it would provide a place for some of the very short term focus folks who have joined. Nothing wrong with having a different time horizon.
Only concern is when people are reading/posting in that thread, they miss a big move like this Tuesday ;)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I understand the cash concerns but my sense is that people in general, and bears in particular, are hyper-focussed on cash outlays and not enough on inflows.

As Julian pointed out eloquently a number of times, till so far only Model S was making money but model X, model 3 and Tesla Energy were eating money. Starting this quarter (more so Q2) we should see three things making money (S, X, TE) and only model 3 eating money. So the equation is changing quite dramatically.

In terms of overall capital needs, the consensus seems to be around $3Billion capital raise.

I think people will be very pleasantly surprised when the reality kicks in. Here are an assorted list of facts people are missing

a) Model X revenues (this is to a big degree being factored in by analysts)

b) Tesla Energy revenues (from what I can tell, this is not being factored in at all)

c) Factor in various government incentives, competing to get Tesla, be it free sites, or even free full factories, or tax/cash incentives or a combination of stuff.

d) Even if it is in fact $3Billion, Tesla has no need to raise it all at once. This will get phased in gradually.

e) So lets say, worst case, $2Billion is raised upfront. It will not all be equity. There will be sizable non-dilutive debt as well.

In a nut shell there is a good chance that we will have less than 1Bil equity dilution. I think that will be quite a shocker to many. I expect the stock to spike when financing is done.

He loves his "cowbells" :D
He sure does...

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 8.54.11 AM.png

Hah! Standpoint Research actually exists, it turns out. This Ronnie Moas guy is on CNBC right now explaining how Tesla is a house of cards. Compares Tesla's market cap with Mazda, Fiat, Ferrari, and Porsche, and of course GM. Somehow he also throws in Bed Bath and Beyond in there.

He's actually getting some pushback from the hosts.

Last edited:
Hah! Standpoint Research actually exists, it turns out. This Ronnie Moas guy is on CNBC right now explaining how Tesla is a house of cards. Compares Tesla's market cap with Mazda, Fiat, Ferrari, and Porsche, and of course GM. Somehow he also throws in Bed Bath and Beyond in there.

He's actually getting some pushback from the hosts.
Do let us know what else he has to say. Tsla is reacting downward

Status
Not open for further replies.