Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was definitely a big $ dump, but other than the AAPL tweet car rumor [not the reason], the only reason I can see is to push back to the earlier pivot point -- it's just later in the day than usual. Interesting push back. If the motortrend article has any validity (Apple car costing 75k), this will likely propel TSLA, but not likely for a few more months.

I very much doubt it was this news :

Chevy vs. Tesla: GM exec takes swipe at Model 3 electric car

"GM’s balance sheet is in pretty strong shape, so we don’t need to take $1,000 of your money just to hold a spot," Nicholson said today at the automotive engineering gathering, the SAE World Congress."

Is he trying to imply that that is why they didn't try to get reservations .. ? Sure...... :p

I happened to be watching my stream when it happened. It went from $214 and some change to $250 basically instantaneously and then bounced around between $250.xx and $251.xx for about 30 seconds before bumping back up to $252.xx and now it seems to be slowly recovering.

I'm no expert but this simply appears to be somebody dumping a ton of stock all at once, does it not?
At the same time SCO (an etf, shorting crude oil) went up about 1%. Might be coincidental, or correlated.

Last edited:
Chevy vs. Tesla: GM exec takes swipe at Model 3 electric car

This article is very funny. :D GM execs basically think the Chevy Bolt will sell well because it will supposedly be delivered before the Model 3. Based on Google Analytics data I posted a few days ago, over the past 6 months, search interest for the Chevy Bolt has been entirely limited to the USA and Canada, and has been fairly weak.

This probably won't stop GM from heavily discounting the Bolt, and stuffing its channel, to create a illusion that sales are strong, as GM has consistently done.
This was part of the reason GM went bankrupt.

Inventory levels at automakers hit the danger zone

Even better, the GM executive thinks GM will be the first automobile manufacturer to market with an "affordable long range electric vehicle". If the Bolt is affordable, it will be because GM will sell it at a loss, and basically pays people to take them off their hands, so GM can exceed GMs "sales expectations".

Reactions: Sudre and BobSk
GM is delusional if it thinks there's going to be a large market for the Bolt. It's a car on a 200 mile tether. The Model 3 isn't. Not to mention they crippled it with an obscure DC fast charging system that hasn't been widely adopted and that they've publicly said they don't plan on expanding but hope others will. This represents a complete misunderstanding of the market from the same company that has a history of tone deaf decisions. And I'm a GM fan! :)

Reactions: doctoxics
It looks as though the shorts are having a real real tough time getting TSLA to fall down. Every tiny news tidbit means a big sell... scaring people off as they take quick profits or cover to minimize losses. Every time this happens, the price rebounds nicely... IMO there is too much upward pressure here it would be insane to initiate any short position at this strong support level. For what it's worth, in my trading shares I sold some at $264 and change, but re-bought at $250 on the dot. Another buy is put in at next support level around $242 in case a lucky dip occurs. Long and strong with core shares, because the Tesla train is just accelerating.

For those that don't know... The crash about 30 min ago was due to Motor Trend's tweets about an Apple car. I'm surprised by the immediate recovery.. Looks like there are definitely buyers here at $250s

Very interesting. I'll be shocked if Motor Trend releases a leaked picture of an Apple Car. The only way an Apple car would make any sense would be if Apple has discovered a way to harness, channel, and store zero point energy. I'm more convinced Tesla is a secret Apple incubator.

If there is an Apple car maybe it will be called the Apple Taurus? :D

The Hara Dimension: The Torus, the Zero Point Energy Field = Creation Story - page 17

Sold out all my LEAPS today bought at $160. I think it's really hard predicting where the share price is going in the short term now. With missed deliveries in Q1 I can't see how the ER possibly can be a positive. We might be in for a couple of months of waiting for Q2. It kind of feels like we have been waiting for this ER for the last two years. The stock price did after all peak around $280 in 2014.

Q2 should potentially be big as both Model X and Model S in full production should yield good earnings. I also believe they have made huge progress on the production lines.

I think we shouldn't forget Elon's compensation package that requires "Gross margin of 30% or more for four consecutive quarters". If that is ever to be achieved it would need to happen before Model 3 is in large scale production. That means that they have to hit 30% by the end of 2016. Raising prices of Model S might be a step towards the 30 %.

For those that don't know... The crash about 30 min ago was due to Motor Trend's tweets about an Apple car. I'm surprised by the immediate recovery.. Looks like there are definitely buyers here at $250s

Motor Trend has been tweeting teases about an Apple car throughout the day, 7 hours ago, 4 hours ago, and over 1 hour ago. Any presumed effect on TSLA stock should not have only been seen suddenly 50 minutes ago.

Motor Trend has been tweeting teases about an Apple car throughout the day, 7 hours ago, 4 hours ago, and 1 hour ago. Any presumed effect on TSLA stock should not have only been seen 50 minutes ago.
Yes but the first news story i saw come across about it on the Bloomberg terminal was at 2:31... Lots of people use that as a primary news source, they don't necessarily follow motor trend.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
"Is this the Apple car?"

No.

Betteridge's law of headlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But if this thing gets hyped up we should take heed, as anything connected to Apple has a lot of power to influence any stock, the entire NASDAQ, and TSLA in particular.

For example rumors or insinuations of a collaboration, AAPL investment in TSLA etc. could spark a rally. On the other hand media (financial media, bear influenced media) might try to spin it as a big threat to TSLA which could inflict (unwarranted) selling.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've made a few bucks on volatility this past couple weeks. Originally I got in the Friday after the 3 announcement at $237, out at $256 and then I happened to check at the right time yesterday and bought in at the dip at $244 and then out today at $254.60.

So a couple questions then...

Stocks like this are generally more favorable to trade on volatility because of their popularity, a somewhat constant stream of price affecting news, and the tendency for newer investors to invest in them who are also more likely to make decisions based on emotion. I phrased that like a statement but it's really a question. Are those pretty accurate assumptions to make?

I love Tesla. I own an S and have a 3 reservation but I have some company concerns on a long term basis that prevent me from wanting to have a long position in Tesla. However I've done pretty good playing the volatility. I'm doing a post-mortem and just trying to see if my analysis is somewhat sound.

I don't think it was. This was instantaneous, volatile and very short lived. From my limited experience, responses to news are typically spread out over a longer period of time. This had all the makings of someone dumping a ton of stock. It was literally a 30 second span of $250 to $252 to $251.20 to 250.12 and then it settled at 252 and some change and climbed back up steadily. I made up those specific numbers but you get what I'm saying. :)

Since this is Apple after all, isn't a weirdmobile somewhat expected? OK, futuristic?
you mean like this? will they have these awesome colors as well?

iMac-by-Jonathan-Ive-1998-9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.