Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Elon waxed rhapsodic about optimizing the efficiency of the Fremont factory was the most interesting thing to me.

I'm imagining him and JB being like Spock in "Wrath of Khan" -- that moment when Spock realized that Khan was thinking only in two dimensions.... give 'em a year or two and we could see robots on the ceiling, the walls, as well as the floor.., with lines twisting and turning through the space in ways unseen since roller coasters.

Equipment calibration and maintenance will be the challenge there. It's going to be a long time until humans are really removed from manufacturing.

Didn't get a chance to listen in on the whole presentation, what did they learn about auto service and and any info how they plan on servicing 500k cars in 2 years time?
Quick question. I started to watch the shareholders meeting a couple hours after it started and just got kicked out, says the broadcast has ended. Does anyone know if it will be available? Trying to watch it before I read the thread and all the spoilers :) I'm weird like that.

I found this:

It's only partial so far.

Last edited:
I liked the content of the shareholders' meeting, mostly because I'm a fan.

However there was scant information for investors. It's not like he said (for example) "we're out of the woods on the Model X ramp-up now, and are consistently producing about 950 per week, give or take" or "we passed 425,000 Model 3 reservations" or "we're tracking nicely towards our goal of 80,000-90,000 cars this year." None of that.

Even though Elon spoke about increased eventual production capacity at the Gigafactory, an eventual 50-50 TE/TM revenue split, and so on, I don't think there was anything firm enough for the investment community - they need something more concrete to make the stock jump up. Didn't hear anything bad either, but, I reckon it will open lower tomorrow due to the slight pressure release of anticipation of something materially cool - that didn't materalise.

Regarding Q&A: get questions ahead of time. Answer most salient at end of presentation and the rest online. Call out question owners and acknowledge them.
Regarding plant efficiency: I think he sees this as an iterative constant improvement program. Identifying the most labor intensive or slowest points on the line and attacking by changing product or production. Watching recent plant video of the new line, it was surprising how much is moved on hand carts. Hopefully the SX line will be closer to 150,000 capacity by end of 2017. If final assembly labor is 15% of cost, that could add almost 5% to margins, less added capex and increased engineering investment. Gains that would also make the 3 more competitive and profitable.

Reactions: Lessmog and MitchJi
Aaaaah this is so frustrating. Elon says 50/50 revenue going forward with cars/energy but no one thinks to ask about Tesla Energy gross margin?!? But they will ask any other fricking stupid thing they can come up with? Including Solarcity stole my bikes??? Aaaaah.

Actually, the answer to your question is part of the information that was provided:
  • Output of GF will be approximately evenly split between TE and TA
  • Revenue from TE in a long term will approx. equal to TA
This means, as I was speculating for a while now, that net margin and profit for TE will be significantly higher than for TA, and my paper math for TE vs. TA actually improves.

Together with 3-fold increase of the GF output from the same footprint, and, therefore, with the 3-fold reduction in the GF campus costs per GWh of capacity and output, this is HUGE, but will continue to fly under a radar, until it is not. My guess that 2017 will be a watershed year.

Last edited:
I liked the content of the shareholders' meeting, mostly because I'm a fan.

However there was scant information for investors.

To me positives were that EM is serious about optimizing production and has a theory how to do it and, secondly, EM is very confident that GF battery operation will be of highest quality and that Panasonic has established a production line already at GF.

On the negative side there seemed to be a disagreement between EM and JB on the magnitude of improvements they can make to the production line. EM was saying 10x or more, JB said 100%. Perhaps they were thinking of different timeframes.

Last edited:
Two positives I got from the call were that EM is serious about optimizing production and has a theory how to do it and, secondly, EM is very confident that GF battery operation will be of highest quality and that Panasonic has established a production line already at GF.

On the negative side there seemed to be a disagreement between EM and JB on the magnitude of improvements they can make to the production line. EM was saying 10x or more, JB said 100%. Perhaps they were thinking of different timeframes.
I am expecting some headlines about the FW door software issues...and a month or so for a fix ETA.

Actually, the answer to your question is part of the information that was provided:
This means, as I was speculating for a while now, that net margin and profit for TE will be significantly higher than for TA, and my paper math for TE vs. TA actually improves.

Together with 3-fold increase of the GF output from the same footprint, and, therefore, with the 3-fold reduction in the GF campus costs per GWh of capacity and output, this is HUGE, but will continue to fly under a radar, until it is not. My guess that 2017 will be a watershed year.

I agree with your hunch but how do you infer gross margin in TE from what they've said? Automotive GM is talked about in detail in every quarterly report.

Don't you think that increased efficacy could also mean that they will not meet hiring quotas GF has committed to?

Honest question here. Do you folks believe this 10x number? I mean, Elon has been involved in Tesla production for many years. They could have done this long time ago if this is doable. Tesla has been production constrained for as far as my memory goes. 10x would have helped a lot.

Besides, volume auto manufacturing is not something new. Big car makers have been doing this for a lot longer. Wonder, if Elon and team have visited the manufacturing facilities of Toyota and other big car makers, and were comparing to theirs or Tesla's own efficiency when they said 10x improvement.

• Disagree
Reactions: madodel and Lessmog
I really appreciated the history lesson even though I already knew 90% of the information. I actually really enjoyed hearing it again. Gives some courage for the road ahead.

That said, the q & a was atrocious. I know AIMc wanted a longer q & a. I think it should be eliminated entirely. 99% of it is a huge waste of Elon's time, as well as everyone else that suffers through it, hoping for precious crumbs of value.
They should really collect the questions in writing and in advance and filter out the crazy. Afterwards they could publish the full list online, so people would see what was excluded, so the process could still be transparent.

I agree with you that the undertaking is significant, and given what we know about Elon, the time and cost of implementation are probably being underestimated. However, also given what we know about Elon, the results will be incredible and worth the wait. So yes, I can wait until 2019 or even 2020 if the results are as good as he claims. It sounds to me like the manufacturing process would be almost entirely automated, which means once they worked out the bugs, the model 3 manufacturing defects would be almost nil.

Hopefully, Elon understands that Falcon-winged robots can be as dangerous as Falcon-winged doors and are reserved for Model 3 v. 2.0 and v 3.0 only. Or at least v 1.1.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel
Status
Not open for further replies.