Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To continue Maoing's line of thought. I do believe a margin call is now possible as Elon's Morgan Stanley loan is made around the $200 area. About $200 million worth. This will come in the form of a call to post more share up as collateral or use cash. At my brokerage, only 1/4 of the tsla's share value can be used as collateral, so I am not sure what willhappen. The worst thing is for morgan to deny tsla shares as collateral and elon having his name appear on the ticker as the one selling.

Seeing that bank contagion is in play (thanks Deutsch bank), the likelhood of margin call increases as bank reduces counterparty risk.

Welp, never thought we'd be here in any of my most pessimistic calculations. As if we are back in 2010. (some stocks actually are back to that level). Yet Here we are.

I've looked at this a while back and do not think that Elon is anywhere close to a margin call.

His line of credit secured not only by TSLA, but by Space X as well. Even before award of the latest NASA contract, at the time of Fidelity's investment, Space X was valued at $10B. I would be surprised if Elon had less than 25% stake in Space X. Also, it appears that US brokerage houses are less conservative than Canadian ones. Even at relatively conservative Fidelity the margin requirement is only 40%, with other 60% available for borrowing cash or buying non-marginable securities (like options), and more than triple of that available for buying marginable securities (like shares). So I believe that just based on Elon's stake in Space X, his margin is close to $2b for cash, and probably at least $6b for buying stock.

How come this thread even discussing margin calls on Elon Musk, Tesla being sold, etc, etc ?

- Elon Musk currently owns almost 29M TSLA shares, even at US$ 140 valued @ more than 4 Billion.

It is not so easy to find out how much he paid for the shares, I found this reference :
http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2...om-investing-in-teslas-series-a/#5dad1ecc6477

This states:
- At the IPO he got 12.880.324 of the 29M A-shares for a price of 0,50 (bit less actually). The costs we approx 6M (plus probably tax).

In 2014 & 2015 Elon acquired a total of 614.000 shares for 23,5M + 50M = 73 M.

For sure he took further loans against TSLA shares, but remember he also hold a significant number of SCTY shares (more than 21M valued at almost 590M as I write this) . He probably used this to loan for investments like he recent acquisition of 35.000 SCTY shares.

I do not even want to make an effort to work out how much he paid for the SCTY shares. Point is that his share holding there have a current value of 4.5 Billion US$. Add to thjat the value of his SpaceX shares.
(Of course he also has a salary from he new police job in Brazil I assume :)

Now, if anyone can defend that Elon took several Billions of US$ loans, please show me what he used these for, as he got most of his shares at very low costs.

As I wrote earlier. I would not be surprised to see Elon buying more TSLA shares at the current rates. He recently did that when he felt SCTY was low.

Last edited:
yesterday had no short selling I believe. So mostly just institutions liquidating. Us retail investors don't have this firepower.

The short selling was not eliminated, just limited in a way that short sellers can't push SP down by selling into down ticks. They can however sell in a way that limits the upticks. I posted link and some additional details here.

Tell you one thing - longs on this board are probably moving epic amounts of cash in order to take advantage of these prices.

Only wish I could go to cash on other investments quicker. Oddly, the "risky" stocks in my portfolio (juniors and penny stocks) have been remarkably stable in this macro environment. Might just book the profits from those (slowly, because volume is low) in order to ready for a nice buy in TSLA when this thing finally bottoms out. I remember buying during the major drop in SCTY and other solar stocks like SEDG etc. before the climate conference, with a final big buy once bottoming action took place. Nothing but red on the screen for awhile and then a big gift from congress made the stock shoot back up from $25 to $55. Gains from that were booked nicely.

TSLA is not going to "die" and Elon not going to get some sort of "margin call". He is worth way more than that loan. Honestly, the pessimism on this forum has hit a new high with many shareholders capitulating. Longs can take chances like this to receive stock at great discounts.

Barclay's maintains underweight on Tesla. Cuts PT from 180 to 165. Does anyone else want to line up and kick Tesla while it is down? I feel like a punching bag with no headgear on.

- - - Updated - - -

I predict we will see the same pattern as last days. Big chunks of shares sold immediately at opening.

Could it be a coordinated effort ? (A big party wanting to exit a large position would sell in smaller chunks to keep the SP relatively high after opening and slowly sell at relatively higher prices).

This is a bear attack period. The only proof we will get is in the short interest numbers which could exceed 40 million by 2/15 settlement.

Late March delivery in the USA--6 weeks and longer lead time in the rest of the world. Flat out production of Model S and rising Model X, with likely resolution to be discussed Wednesday night. Model X sales delay for 6 weeks due to earth shattering Evilon Musk. I've been in a funk watching the market tank and I'm not out of that funk yet, but I am out of my funk about Tesla. I think things are largely resolved. The big questions will be total deliveries. Did clearing inventory hurt sales in Q1 while they refill the pipeline, or have they just improved supply chain?
Optimistic Model X for Q1 is probably anything over 2000 and Model S high would be to equal Q4. If they can combine S & X for 17,600 in Q1, they would be on track for at least 22,000 in Q2.

Lead time for Model S and eliminating the 85 imply strong demand for the S. Signals about the X seem to imply we are nearing the end of the design\production disaster. Radio silence from someone who hates to lose at least as much as any other business leader, and SpaceX launch is back on track for Feb 24. Hopefully this means that distractions are being set aside and focus on deliveries and Model 3 reveal are front and center.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Musk said in Paris S is being produced at 1,000/week in Paris last week.

MX OTA update has dramatically improved performance and capability of Falcon Wing Doors. Owners unanimously very impressed/pleased. Unlikely to have any SP impact but nice to remember what this company is capable of

Auto Presenting Front Door

This is best piece of Tesla news in a long time because it shows that Tesla is all about engineering and solving problems. If you read on the linked thread you can read from a couple of MX members being very impressed and happy with the OTA.

I think 10% is overly generous as a comparative metric. I can't find a reference point where TSLA hasn't gotten beaten up much more heavily than tech or automakers, though maybe not 30% more. It's possible I'm missing things but this year:

GOOG: -13.5%
AAPL: -12.74%
GM: -17.16%
TM: -12.0%

TSLA: -37.92%

It all depends on the reference, but to me it's clear that TSLA is getting hammered relative to the market.

Well those maybe not as bad as TSLA. Activision was one I was clearly thinking of with another company affected by a similar huge drop (they've had no issues to cause such a drop). Linked In as well but they had a catalyst through a poor ER and lowered outlooks.

Oddly, the "risky" stocks in my portfolio (juniors and penny stocks) have been remarkably stable in this macro environment.

I hear you. My 401k is up 12% year to date in some incredible dash of luck! (I have a huge chunk of it invested within the company I work for).

This is best piece of Tesla news in a long time because it shows that Tesla is all about engineering and solving problems. If you read on the linked thread you can read from a couple of MX members being very impressed and happy with the OTA.

Some people here are forgetting why they're long, and I hope this reminds people of that :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.