Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost basis at $140 from just about 2 years ago. It's just tricky-- for me it would be an accumulation/profit protection move (something versus nothing). I feel like we are too close to a catalyst with Model 3 around the corner.

Hmm. If the profit protection was actually very strong with you, selling some when we were bar all time high would have made a lot of sense. Did you do that? If not, then would the desire to do so now just be a reaction to your cost basis coming close to red for the first time in years? Agreed on catalyst, and I don't see anything changed for the negative with Tesla long term, so I'm holding. Cost basis of around 170 in one account and 221 in another account.

Bloomberg and Marketwatch are huge offenders of manipulating graphs. This was another recent good one from Marketwatch (non TSLA related): View attachment 110932
That's not so bad. If you want to compare two stocks percentage wise that's just want you end up with. If you plot it with numbers you have the problem that one will be very tiny and you don't see any changes and just get a straight line.That $6 difference on HP would be the thickness of the line if you use the apple scale.

Hmm. If the profit protection was actually very strong with you, selling some when we were bar all time high would have made a lot of sense. Did you do that? If not, then would the desire to do so now just be a reaction to your cost basis coming close to red for the first time in years? Agreed on catalyst, and I don't see anything changed for the negative with Tesla long term, so I'm holding. Cost basis of around 170 in one account and 221 in another account.

essentially it would be a profit protection (well it was at least) and accumulation move. Granted part of it is emotional seeing +100% go to +3% in a span of a couple months...

I'm deep in the red as well but have a longer time horizon. I owned Apple stock a few years ago and saw huge swings in that stock, only to have it fully recover. It's the way the game is played. They want you to sell low so they can buy up shares ahead of the next run up. It's how they make money.

Bottom line is if you can afford it and believe in the company keep a long term horizon and don't be afraid to sell some when the stock is HIGH. Selling now when it is LOW is a rookie mistake, IMHO. I've done it myself but I refuse to let them take my shares at this price! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.