Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's interesting is that article asserts the prototypes to be functional. Now to hunt where they're getting that source of information, even though it's stated from Tesla. Like to see tangible proof other than what's typed in the article.

Honestly, why anyone would think they would present anything less than a working protoype for their most important car is completely beyond me. As far as I know Tesla has always presented working prototypes for their main unveilings. They have been working on Model 3 for quite some time, its nothing new. They are building the Model S en masse, ramping up hard the even more complicated to build Model X and people think they can't present a vastly more basic car for THE most important Tesla event?

Completely agree. Even in the extremely unlikely case that none of the drive train parts for the Model 3 are ready for a prototype (Elon's recent incentive-based rewards indicate that they are), they could just use parts from a Model S with a smaller improvised battery pack for the presentation. No one would know the difference and they would have something to show.

Honestly, why anyone would think they would present anything less than a working protoype for their most important car is completely beyond me. As far as I know Tesla has always presented working prototypes for their main unveilings. They have been working on Model 3 for quite some time, its nothing new. They are building the Model S en masse, ramping up hard the even more complicated to build Model X and people think they can't present a vastly more basic car for THE most important Tesla event?

True, and seeing a prototype has also been my expectation.
There are still many who seem not so sure, and it is nice to get confirmation that the press can even take it for a spin. That shows confidence and would also mean they get a peek at the prototype interior.

Last edited:
Those owners are the reason the Model 3 is happening at all. As a non-owner who plans on camping out in front of my local Tesla store for a spot in line, I am 100% OK with this, as well as their giving employees first dibs on reservations.

Agree with that. Early adopters put their money on the line, I have no problem with them getting some extra consideration.

A prototype model 3 is essential if they expect to get massive reservations. A
photograph seems way insufficient to achieve that outcome. So expect
a substantial model 3 showing to generate the demand they need ,
which in turn facilitates raising the capital to manufacture it.

No chance of a disappointment should be their thinking.

Is the production facility for the model 3 already known? it should not be fremont right?
It will be Freemont. Likely that more assembly for Europe will be moved to Netherlands by then and all battery production and assembly has or will be gone from Freemont. These changes will open up space for the new line while still increasing X & S production. Or as the bears would say, X-S production.

Simply thought that fremont would be too small for 500k units /yr

It depends on unit size and complexity but Fremont should be big enough for some 500k unit/yr.
In a few years there will be a second factory in China to cover China and other parts of Asia and after that a third factory somewhere in Europe. There are no dates nor exact locations known yet.

dint'know this. thank you.
Simply thought that fremont would be too small for 500k units /yr

At the risk of providing information that is already well known...... You should visit Tesla's Fremont facility sometime, if you have the chance. Quite worthwhile to get an idea of how Tesla is accomplishing this. It is a very large factory, and now completely made over to produce models S, X and model 3. The engineering on production lines is as impressive as engineering of the cars themselves. In addition they have developed a facility in Lathrop, CA for die casting, and the Gigafactory near Reno, NV for cell and battery pack production. So all of that actually adds to the Fremont capacity.

The recent tour by top investment analysts from Oppenheimer and Stifel Nicholas, among others, resulted in glowing reviews of the progress made on production capacity. The same facility was formerly producing 500,000 ICE cars a year as the NUMMI plant, operated jointly until 2008, by GM and Toyota.

Status
Not open for further replies.