Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping Elon is loaning out a few million shares until April 1st. What a fun April fools joke. Call them in and force the shorts to close their positions.

In principle it seems strange to me that large stockholders could, at a whim, retract their stock loans like that. It's very much like forcing your opponents hand so to speak. It would seem like very blatant market manipulation if Elon or another large stock holder were to do this. Let's say Elon did this, thus forcing a squeeze type situation and then took advantage of the rise in stock price to do a secondary offering or selling debt - would this even be legal?

I think it's unlikely Elon would lend out his shares given his antipathy for shorts, but if he did I don't see why he shouldn't be able to ask for them back. Even if he were to do an offering after inducing a squeeze, he still has to find investors willing to invest at that price. And an artificially high price probably wouldn't last long enough to get through the whole process.

That's the thing. Tesla can become a free enterprise model business. It built its own charging network without asking the government to do it. It builds products that Americans can be proud of. It does not submit to the cronism of auto dealers. Sure, it got some tax breaks in California and Nevada, but that is standard practice for all businesses that local governments try to attract. All businesses utilize government incentives and tax breaks, but Tesla is really not seeking or requiring these things. It simply wants access to markets. Oh, yeah, and Tesla has been a major job creator. The level of entrepreneurship is head and should above most US corporations. So what's the beef?
It is interesting that the LA Times (owned by Chicago Tribune with line of site to Boeing HQ) is one of the biggest bashers of SpaceX and Tesla, which are two of the fastest growing employers in the state. I know that small town news often depends on a good story being passed along. Often this meets public needs. Sharing information about community events, or a local hero helping their community. Other times it is paid public relations firms selling a narrative and can cross the line from informing the public to building a false narrative to misdirect public attention from legitimate public policy. Hopefully Tesla and SpaceX have some internal communications encouraging their employees and families to deluge the sources of media hit pieces.

I think it's unlikely Elon would lend out his shares given his antipathy for shorts, but if he did I don't see why he shouldn't be able to ask for them back. Even if he were to do an offering after inducing a squeeze, he still has to find investors willing to invest at that price. And an artificially high price probably wouldn't last long enough to get through the whole process.
Calling in stock loans to hose shorts is just being competitive. Many of these shorts are blasting Tesla and selling the story of Tesla the crony capitalist, government dependent, money pit loser. I see no moral issue with going after the shorts. It's not a fight Elon picked, but I'm ok with him finishing the battle. Using it as an opportunity to sell an inflated offering would not be ethical, in my opinion.

Calling in stock loans to hose shorts is just being competitive. Many of these shorts are blasting Tesla and selling the story of Tesla the crony capitalist, government dependent, money pit loser. I see no moral issue with going after the shorts. It's not a fight Elon picked, but I'm ok with him finishing the battle. Using it as an opportunity to sell an inflated offering would not be ethical, in my opinion.
In this situation, the shorts are the ones who are really unethical. We can look at the details:
1. Motivation: at Tesla, a group of people working very hard try to do something good for the world. The shorts are working hard try to destroy the company and their effort. Just read the comments from shorts, those are everywhere on the internet. They really try hard to spread the rumors, destroy Tesla's reputation ability to get financing. It's not like they just short a few shares then wait patiently for the stock to go lower. They actively do bad things to hurt Tesla. Many of my friends would have bought Tesla cars if not because the rumors changed their minds.
2. Action: in today's world, big shorts work together. They short the stock, then make open calls saying this company is a fraud, or say this company will bankrupt, remember those hedge fund managers who openly call everyone else to short the stock? When that happens, the stock slide, triggers long-holder's stop loss levels, or trigger margin calls, cause stock to drop a lot. Then the company gets downgraded, they have difficult to borrow money, their image get tarnished...... Many good companies failed because of these consorted short attack. The reasons why Tesla survived the short attack are A. Elon is a real genius, and works supper hard. B. The whole Tesla team worked very hard, developed exceptional products. C. This is another important reason why Tesla can survive the short attacks: the Tesla investors are quite determined. They are generally wealthy and intelligent, so they are not scared by the tactics from shorts. They keep buying instead of selling when the stock crashes. So the shorts couldn't succeed. They would have successfully destroyed a great company if not because of those three reasons. It's the shorts that are unethical, and should feel guilty. If they ever get hurt financially, they deserve it.

In this situation, the shorts are the ones who are really unethical. We can look at the details:
1. Motivation: at Tesla, a group of people working very hard try to do something good for the world. The shorts are working hard try to destroy the company and their effort. Just read the comments from shorts, those are everywhere on the internet. They really try hard to spread the rumors, destroy Tesla's reputation ability to get financing. It's not like they just short a few shares then wait patiently for the stock to go lower. They actively do bad things to hurt Tesla. Many of my friends would have bought Tesla cars if not because the rumors changed their minds.
2. Action: in today's world, big shorts work together. They short the stock, then make open calls saying this company is a fraud, or say this company will bankrupt, remember those hedge fund managers who openly call everyone else to short the stock? When that happens, the stock slide, triggers long-holder's stop loss levels, or trigger margin calls, cause stock to drop a lot. Then the company gets downgraded, they have difficult to borrow money, their image get tarnished...... Many good companies failed because of these consorted short attack. The reasons why Tesla survived the short attack are A. Elon is a real genius, and works supper hard. B. The whole Tesla team worked very hard, developed exceptional products. C. This is another important reason why Tesla can survive the short attacks: the Tesla investors are quite determined. They are generally wealthy and intelligent, so they are not scared by the tactics from shorts. They keep buying instead of selling when the stock crashes. So the shorts couldn't succeed. They would have successfully destroyed a great company if not because of those three reasons. It's the shorts that are unethical, and should feel guilty. If they ever get hurt financially, they deserve it.
One mans lack of ethics is not another's ticket to debauchery. Hosing shorts is fine, they started it. Hosing investors who are supporting your cause is wrong.

I agree with those saying it wouldn't be unethical to recall shares from shorts - in the sense that the stock market is like a game and that shorting could be considered unethical too but it's legal. My point is a large lender of shares would so very obviously be able to manipulate/force other investors by doing this so how can it be legal under SEC rules?

From the M3 Unveiling invite:
"Model 3 reservations will open in Tesla stores on March 31 at 10am PST, as well as online immediately when the event (which will also be accessible via a live stream) begins. As a current owner who has supported Tesla and our mission, your reservation will take priority and be placed ahead of non-owners. "

So online registration will begin when the unveiling begins on March 31. Also Tesla owners will be given cuts to the front of the reservation line. Not sure Tesla needs to perpetuate such privileged.

Also Tesla owners will be given cuts to the front of the reservation line. Not sure Tesla needs to perpetuate such privileged.

Those owners are the reason the Model 3 is happening at all. As a non-owner who plans on camping out in front of my local Tesla store for a spot in line, I am 100% OK with this, as well as their giving employees first dibs on reservations.

Tesla’s Model 3 to debut March 31 (and it’ll be drivable, too)

Those prototypes should, the invitation goes on to suggest, be functional, too. Press will be able "to take a quick spin in what we've been working on," Tesla says.

I would really like to see the full invite the press received. If that gets confirmed, SP might jump.
Coulld we see the 200 dma today ?

Last edited:
I like the way the Model 3 unveiling hype is constantly fed with bits of info coming from Tesla (email to owners > lottery for the 31, reservations for employees etc.). I am also confident the event will be a total success. They seem to have learned from previous events, that it is essential to limit the number guests. On topic: Premarket slightly up.

Tesla’s Model 3 to debut March 31 (and it’ll be drivable, too)

Those prototypes should, the invitation goes on to suggest, be functional, too. Press will be able "to take a quick spin in what we've been working on," Tesla says.

I would really like to see the full invite the press received. If that gets confirmed, SP might jump.
Coulld we see the 200 dma today ?

What's interesting is that article asserts the prototypes to be functional. Now to hunt where they're getting that source of information, even though it's stated from Tesla. Like to see tangible proof other than what's typed in the article.

What's interesting is that article asserts the prototypes to be functional. Now to hunt where they're getting that source of information, even though it's stated from Tesla. Like to see tangible proof other than what's typed in the article.

Agree.
The article seems to suggest the press received more information in their invitation. Would be good to get that, and the statement, confirmed. I left a request to share more information about the press invite in the article comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.