Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New investors in Tesla should take everything Elon and Tesla says with a mouthful of salt. You've been cautioned.

Thank you for the word of caution. Although you do not appear confident enough in yourself to provide any details in your profile besides location "unknown", you must be applauded for implying with your screen name that you have earned a doctoral degree. That is honorable and certainly enhances your credibility. What was your area of doctoral studies? At which institution? In what year did you receive the degree? What was the subject of your doctoral thesis? If it was related to car manufacturing or the analysis of growth companies disrupting major industries, then we would certainly appreciate hearing much more from you. If it was related to seeking the value of established companies in stable industries as I learned in college, then this may not be the right forum for discussion.

Last edited:
The
For the M3, Y1 is likely negative. But it doesn't matter. Either they sell significant volume of the M3, or they are no longer an independant company.

The Bolt looks like a car designed to not lose too much money at low volume.
This I don't think so. I made some calculations before and think a 10% gross margin, even in the first year, is reachable. Because most would be loaded with options. For the basic $35k ones, yes, I think it won't have good margins during the 1st year.

He didn't say that, did he?

I'm paraphrasing, but that is what I heard. He said Tesla will be ready to provide further info about battery storage in 1-2 quarters.

1) Many people expressing interest in the Model 3 are also expressing interest in the Powerwall.(50:19)
2) Model S demand has increased since Model 3 was announced. (51:30)
3) We won't need to rob from Tesla energy plans (15gwh annually), to satisfy Model 3 demand. We definitely have a way to solve both. There are reasons we have been been buying up more space in the surrounding area. The growth rate on a percentage basis for Tesla energy is certainly going to great than cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: StephenM
This ER and CC painted a great picture for the Model 3. And some nice surprises on S and X (orders, deposits). Plus, I really like how they emphasize on making the Model 3 easier to manufacture. But the actual financial results are still lack-lusting. I think Tesla will do whatever it takes (like throwing out 500k in 2018) to maintain its SP. Wait for a huge beat on Q2 results, then raise capital.

I would pay some credence to that statement, if Mr. Musk said that about Model X before the delays and issues started showing up. Who knows what he will be saying about Model 3 in a year or two?

As with all investments, it's a gamble. Since none of my retirement accounts are invested in or dependent upon TSLA, it is a gamble I am willing to take.

From what I can remember, Tesla said very little about the Model X design between January 2012 (concept reveal) and September 2015 (production reveal). The car was never even part of Tesla's original plan, which was to go from Generation 2 (Model S) to Generation 3 (Model 3).

Obviously, this sudden advancement of ramp-up goal shows Tesla s very poor in predicting anything from deliveries to cash needs. From the ER, it became clear to me that Tesla didn't even check the feasibility of suppliers ramping up, and is just throwing out a hugely optimistic number to boost stock price before the capital raise. Good luck to the longs; you will need it big time.

I heard the exact same argument made in 2012, before the Model S went into production. The Model S was only projected to have demand of 20k/year, and it exited 2015 at 50k/year. I understand why risk-averse investors would not want to invest in TSLA however. This is not a value stock. It is a high-risk investment with extreme volatility, and I actively discourage most people from investing in it, because most people cannot stand the volatility. If you are seeking value, as your screen name suggests, then TSLA is definitely not for you.

@Julian

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole DTU thesis is supposed to culminate in the methodical revealing of Tesla's cards in order to engineer a short squeeze, culminating in a capital raise at new ATH.

Does the acceleration of the 500K target by two years and effective doubling of the 2020 target constitute a reveal of one of those cards? Does the admission in the Q1 shareholder letter of a forthcoming capital raise mean a reassessment of the DTU thesis may be in order?

You ask a very good question. I need to think about that extremely carefully (and I am but there is no quick answer). I said it would be an error to pull the trigger on this guidance upgrade in advance of having all the ammo in the chamber - like the full sweep with a cash flow positive & profitable quarter and beats of everything else. This way around they have announced need for money before proving they might not need it. On face value it is not the same deal. Whether it is close enough to the same deal or a different deal entirely, I seriously need to consider what the correct answer to that is. Not there yet.

Last edited:
I wish someone would ask how Tesla will create a sufficient number of battery packs for 500,000 Model 3 production level if production moving up 2 years but gigafactory has only one module constructed so far.

I agree. We have been watching the construction of 1/7th of Gigafactory1 for two years! And we are still not finished. And now Tesla is going to ramp the other 6/7ths by the end of 2018, just 2 2/3 years from now. Perhaps Tesla and Panasonic have discovered a secret method for making batteries and battery packs that uses only one seventh the factory floor space.

Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
Anyone else having trouble plotting out the model 3 ramp? If they produce 100k-200k model 3's in 2017, they likely have less than 5 months to hit that target (I would say 4 months since EM said volume production 'several months' after the July 1st deadline). On the low end, they have an average rate of 25k per month.

In 2018, if they produce 500k vehicles, 350k-400k would be 3's. On the high end at 400k model 3's, they would be running at a 33k/month volume. That would be 50% growth rate, but obviously the exit rate at the end of 2017 should be somewhat above the 25k average rate for 2017.

Being above that 25k average rate to end 2017, it does not seem like they will have much of the exponential growth occurring during 2018.

Overall point here is that it appears exponential ramp up will have to occur Q4 2017 for them to hit 100k. Am I missing something here or are you guys reaching a similar conclusion?

Come on lets be a little less disingenuous....they are suing because their $5 ice coffee drinks contain 75% (wag) of water in the form of ice. No different than what bars try to do with mix drinks....load up the ice.

Or, how about you just don't buy your iced coffee there (as a way of protest and to let the company know it's a bad product) and save us all the drama queen law suits?

This ER and CC painted a great picture for the Model 3. And some nice surprises on S and X (orders, deposits). Plus, I really like how they emphasize on making the Model 3 easier to manufacture. But the actual financial results are still lack-lusting. I think Tesla will do whatever it takes (like throwing out 500k in 2018) to maintain its SP. Wait for a huge beat on Q2 results, then raise capital.

Elon said only 17,000 cars to be delivered in Q2. Better than Q1, but still another losing quarter. However, 26,000 (Elon's preliminary guidance for Q3 and Q4) would be cash flow positive. The event we are all looking for might happen on November 3rd. Not expecting much between now and then. Still long on TSLA.

• Informative
Reactions: ZachShahan
I agree. We have been watching the construction of 1/7th of Gigafactory1 for two years! And we are still not finished. And now Tesla is going to ramp the other 6/7ths by the end of 2018, just 2 2/3 years from now. Perhaps Tesla and Panasonic have discovered a secret method for making batteries and battery packs that uses only one seventh the factory floor space.

Actually, the 500,000 unit volume includes vehicles where the cells are made in Japan. Further, the size of the battery pack is smaller than expected, so the about 3/5ths the original size would be needed. But the factory is bigger than initially planned.

• Helpful
Reactions: ZachShahan
Status
Not open for further replies.