Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report and conference call.

(Echoing what Julian said) I'm not sure TSLA will rocket up based solely on this infoburst though. Certainly not like the climb during anticipation for Model 3 reveal. Some of it is just too hard for analysts to believe, no matter how confident Elon and JB sounded about production capacity.

AJ's questions were a lot better formatted and useful.

The most interesting quotes from Elon, for me -

[Model 3 current reservation total] "...which I think is actually a fraction of the ultimate demand, when people fully understand what the car's capable of, and are able to do a test-drive."

And also of course "hell-bent on becoming The Best Manufacturer On Earth." Nothing like aiming high.

Tesla will probably not say precisely what its cost kWh is for a long time. Doing so might violate certain agreements Tesla has with any suppliers. It might also cause Tesla to lose a lot of leverage when negotiating terms with its suppliers.

Yes. Tesla has to protect Panasonic. GM made the mistake of bragging about their pack cost to the dismay of LG Chem.

Maybe my Panasonic shares will come alive. They have been taking quite a beating.

Reactions: ZachShahan
Elon said only 17,000 cars to be delivered in Q2. Better than Q1, but still another losing quarter. However, 26,000 (Elon's preliminary guidance for Q3 and Q4) would be cash flow positive. The event we are all looking for might happen on November 3rd. Not expecting much between now and then. Still long on TSLA.
The reason they didn't make it for cash flow positive was not only the miss of 1000+ deliveries, but also the very low gross margins on Model X. If they delivered 17k total in Q2, with 12k S and 5k X. Assuming ASP for either won't drop a huge amount (more than 3%), holding Model S gross margin at 27%, the Model X gross margin needs only to be 11% for them to swing from operating loss to profit. This is assuming other sources of revenue and cost being the same, which definitely won't. But the up-side change in revenue (Tesla Energy mainly) would be more than the change in costs (RND, SG&A) if they are maintaining the level of discipline as shown in this quarter. So they have some leeway here.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi and erha
I agree. We have been watching the construction of 1/7th of Gigafactory1 for two years! And we are still not finished. And now Tesla is going to ramp the other 6/7ths by the end of 2018, just 2 2/3 years from now. Perhaps Tesla and Panasonic have discovered a secret method for making batteries and battery packs that uses only one seventh the factory floor space.

They just told us that Fremont and GF are capable of 1million vehicles per year, which is twice what they originally planned for GF + Panasonic Japan production. That means they won't even need half of the GF until after 2018.

Thank you for the word of caution. Although you do not appear confident enough in yourself to provide any details in your profile besides location "unknown", you must be applauded for implying with your screen name that you have earned a doctoral degree. That is honorable and certainly enhances your credibility. What was your area of doctoral studies? At which institution? In what year did you receive the degree? What was the subject of your doctoral thesis? If it was related to car manufacturing or the analysis of growth companies disrupting major industries, then we would certainly appreciate hearing much more from you. If it was related to seeking the value of established companies in stable industries as I learned in college, then this may not be the right forum for discussion.
Man, is there no longer an option to give rep? This comment really deserves some.

I'm sure Model 3 has been in the works for years. However, it still takes significant time to set everything in motion, especially when jumping from 10's of thousands to 100's of thousands of cars in production. That doesn't even take into account the need to boost service and sales support.

This is Tesla's gateway to the big leagues. It's the realization of the Secret Plan from 2006. I think they can do it, but I don't think it will be easy.
+1

Actually, the 500,000 unit volume includes vehicles where the cells are made in Japan. Further, the size of the battery pack is smaller than expected, so the about 3/5ths the original size would be needed. But the factory is bigger than initially planned.

We are pretty close on your points. Assume 70,000 Model S and 60,000 Model X when total production hits 500,000. Assume cells for S, X and storage come from Panasonic Japan. Assume 370,000 Model 3s at average battery pack of 60 kwh. Total Gigafactory1 production needed would be 22.2 gwh. Gigafactory1 original cell capacity was 35 gwh. As being built now on the original footprint, the finished capacity has been increased to 49 gwh. So 22.2/49 gives 45 % of the enlarged final Gigafactory to supply 370,000 Model 3s. Perhaps three sevenths of Gigafactory1 would be enough (two additional units the size of the current structure). All of Gigafactory1 would be needed for a million cars (820,000 model 3s).

My take based on below points;
  • 500K cars(S,X,3) produced by end of 2018
  • 1st volume delivery target 7/1/17
  • Maximize Fed EV credit for as many customers as possible(US limitation only)
  • <40% of overall demand is from US
  • China 2nd largest reservation beyond US
  • Will have new factory in europe, Asia, and SOMEWHERE ELSE (so 4 factories total)
So... if they are able to get the other 3 factories up sooner than later, and can initiate parallel ramp up, we are really looking to test 125K/year capacity per factory, or at 40% demand from US, you are only looking to ramp up to 200K max for Fremont factory, which is basically only double of current capacity of 2000/week by qtr end.

If this is the approach, it appears the 500K units by end of 2018 is not as impossible as i initially thought, and 100% of the 200K/yr production from Freemont ends up for US customer within 2018 to maximize Fed credit. I think this is why Tesla mentioned they might be able to ship 100K to 200K M3 within 2017(all US, starting from WC moving east), as I think the new factories will come online by early 2018 to build for the ROW(rest of the world)

Of course, they will continue to scale up each factory to accommodate 1MM/yr by 2020...

In regards to whether Tesla can make 500,000, I think they can, abeit a 10% miss. This is purely based on past execution risk factors. Although the manufacturing process is difficult, so long as demand is there for their product, Tesla will figure out a way to make it happen. A capital raise will be necessary, shares will be diluted, but it will guarantee Tesla will leap past any 2nd place competitor by a factor of 3-5 years in economy of scale. Suppliers now understand whats at stake, ramp up for Tesla or get left out. My belief is that some suppliers themselves didn't understand Tesla's real potential, M3 just made it easier to comprehend the bigger picture.

MX is by far the hardest car to build, just take a look at it, or ask Bob Lutz. M3 has none of those fancy doors, 3rd row seats, etc. it's smaller than an S, simpler than an S, hence it'll likely be a simpler build. All that is needed are manufacturing expertise. Calling on all experts to join Tesla.....

The next few years are going to be very exciting. I wish somebody on the CC had asked how they plan to further expand supercharger and service center development to accommodate for the huge increase in guidance for the coming years. Does anybody disagree with the fact that they're going to have to massively expand their infrastructure to meet the needs of such a large customer base?

On another note, I think Tesla will do a great job raising money for all of this. If I'm not mistaken, since Elon has started raising money for his companies in the mid 90s, each round has held a higher valuation than the previous round.. for each company (incredible). I think they will be opportunistic and raise equity well above $242 per share to minimize dilution. Based on the CC it seems like they will raise additional equity asap, like as soon as this week, but I think they will be patient and wait until the SP is near an ATH. also said they will raise debt, which will probably have extremely favorable terms given that it's going towards a product with a $15B+ backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.