Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was one of those "It pays to be a TMC stalker" moments. The nice thing is, as long as you know roughly when you reserved the Model III, you can get a rough estimate of where you fell in the que, before adjustments for geography, Model S/X, Roadster ownership, etc. Feeling pretty confident of being within the first 20-30k after the employees.

On a separate note, still waiting for the P100 shoe to drop - does it strike anyone that the gigafactory opening would be an ideal time for this?

And before adjustments for something wonky happening - my friend who I was in line with, who I put my order down mere seconds after (at different terminals in the store), has a number 110k lower than mine (though my two orders are just 2 numbers apart). I'm an owner, he's not. So, the data probably isn't perfectly correct, or if it is, something weird happened with mine :p

And before adjustments for something wonky happening - my friend who I was in line with, who I put my order down mere seconds after (at different terminals in the store), has a number 110k lower than mine (though my two orders are just 2 numbers apart). I'm an owner, he's not. So, the data probably isn't perfectly correct, or if it is, something weird happened with mine :p
As has been explained maybe a dozen times in the thread, those who reserved multiple cars started with a number around 500000. Those who ordered one started around 350,000.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
I think the Samsung SDI deliver is just an indication that they need batteries and many of them. They have at-least three different applications now: current s+x form factor and chemistry (panasonic only for now), upcoming model 3 form factor and chemistry (confirmed to be panasonic only) and then TE which could be one or more form factors and chemistry depending on powerwall and powerpack if they are the same.

So there is an explosion in battery cells needed, so they better secure suppliers to all these ventures and the best way to do what would be to get more companies involved besides Panasonic. It is a great sign and not an indication of GF problems or falling relations with Panasonic.

I think Tesla does not care all that much where their cells come from. The important thing is to gain market share fast.
Agreed. Looks like we can drill down further to deduce that the samsung cells are specific to powerwall, within TE...

The Only Explanation for Tesla's New Supply Agreement With Samsung

Reactions: lango
Wow. BMW I3 with range extender. Well played LAPD. Couple of problems/considerations.

1. No more cops can pick up dates on duty cause their driving that fugly car.
2. If in range extender mode, better hope perp is fleeing on a Segway or with a walker due to speed limitations.
3. Unlikely to have great service or parts due to rapid discontinuation of the brand due to no demand.

Sure they got a swinging deal from BMW though. "Here are the keys...please take these off our hands. Well throw in some free chargers.

BMW wins LAPD electric car contract, beating Tesla

Agreed. Looks like we can drill down further to deduce that the samsung cells are specific to powerwall, within TE...

The Only Explanation for Tesla's New Supply Agreement With Samsung
No you can't. And that article contains multiple inaccuracies. For example:
o if the Samsung cells are not destined to make their way into vehicles, where else could they go? The only answer is that Tesla intends to use the Samsung cells for Tesla Energy products. Keep in mind that the Gigafactory's long-term targets have always been for 35 GWh of cell production and 50 GWh of module and pack production. That necessitates second-sourcing cells to put into packs that are assembled at the location.
That doesn't match what Elon and JB said at the shareholders meeting. Current plan is to produce a lot more than 15 GWh (cells and packs) for TE at the GF.

• Informative
Reactions: dc_h

That doesn't match what Elon and JB said at the shareholders meeting. Current plan is to produce a lot more than 15 GWh for TE at the GF.

I think the only thing that is confirmed is that they won't be used for Model 3. It is still possible they could be used for Roadster and S and X. Eventually I suspect S and X also will use the new format that 3 will be using.

TE feels the most likely to me. We know that TE requires a different cell type and we know the demand seems to be there already, and we also know that GF is not ready to produce in volume yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
I think the only thing that is confirmed is that they won't be used for Model 3. It is still possible they could be used for Roadster and S and X. Eventually I suspect S and X also will use the new format that 3 will be using.

TE feels the most likely to me. We know that TE requires a different cell type and we know the demand seems to be there already, and we also know that GF is not ready to produce in volume yet.
Elon tweeted that they will use them for TE.

They signed a contract with LG Chem to provide packs for the roadster, but JB said "we" are producing roadster packs.

That doesn't match what Elon and JB said at the shareholders meeting. Current plan is to produce a lot more than 15 GWh (cells and packs) for TE at the GF.
I'm aware of the 3X capacity statement. However, 35/50 vs 105/150 cell/packs at 3X(they did not specify which is 3X), it still seems they run short of required cells vs Packs capacity. So why wouldn't they buy cheap cells from Samsung for TE Powerwall, if the cells that they can make at the GF are yielding much denser and higher capacity cells than what Samsung has at the lower price point? I know your hang up is the <$100 cost once GF starts churning out cells/packs, and I fundamentally agree with your views. That said, is it possible they will be so focused on ramping up production of 20700 cells for TM in the foreseeable future(and Powerpacks), that they don't want to produce downgraded cells at the GF at less margin for the powerwalls?

Q2 Deliveries annouces by July 3rd. Hugely stock moving.
I'll also add a few that aren't official but could very well happen in the next few months:

- Announcement of 100 packs
- Announcement of next gen AP hardware/features
- Release of Model Y (wildcard)

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to reveal the Y before the "Part 2" of Model 3. They could be announced together, but it seems like Elon likes to keep car announcements separate from other material news. In terms of ordering, it would make sense to reveal Model 3, reveal Model Y, then finally do the "Part 2" where they talk about the tech/other stuff available in the cars. Finally, I could see the appeal in doing 3 total reveals for this generation.

This is of course 100% speculation. Tesla has been incredibly quiet about the Model Y lately, yet I have to think they will want to have it for sale sooner rather than later given the enormity of the small SUV market. I can't see them delaying it well beyond the sedan like they did with S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchJi
Q2 Deliveries annouces by July 3rd. Hugely stock moving.
Are you feeling as chipper and optimistic about a probable beat as I am on this? Really sounds like production is close to 1k/wk already.

Do you think we go past 17k? If so we should see some upward movement after July 3.

I wonder how many would need to be sold for non GAAP profit or cash flow positive. Anyone do the math yet?

Are you feeling as chipper and optimistic about a probable beat as I am on this? Really sounds like production is close to 1k/wk already.

Do you think we go past 17k? If so we should see some upward movement after July 3.

I wonder how many would need to be sold for non GAAP profit or cash flow positive. Anyone do the math yet?
One thing to be aware of - the SEC has recently provided guidance indicating that non-GAAP measures are going to be scrutinized more heavily and that GAAP metrics will need to be featured more prominently in earnings releases. It's an open question as to how companies will respond (remove mentions of non-GAAP measures? Do nothing? Feature GAAP measures in the headlines and still mention non-GAAP stuff, just less prominently? Probably the latter).

There was a view out there (market in general, not TSLA) that non-GAAP reporting has gotten out of control and the SEC wants to reign it in. I wonder if TSLA will be forced to abandon (or minimize) its new CF from operations metric? Either way, this will be an interesting earnings season as companies try to figure out how to report and investors figure out how to adjust to new styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.