Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you feeling as chipper and optimistic about a probable beat as I am on this? Really sounds like production is close to 1k/wk already.

Do you think we go past 17k? If so we should see some upward movement after July 3.

I wonder how many would need to be sold for non GAAP profit or cash flow positive. Anyone do the math yet?

I am hoping for some positive anticipation for the delivery numbers prior to July 3

I couldn't help myself. Looks like Elon has the X under control, is handling media questions well and the stock is bullish. I am officially a raging bull again. Shares purchased. Told you I was gone forever but felt the need to resurface. I am also not concerned at all with macro at the moment. Good luck Bulls.

welcome back, let's keep it a little more level headed this time around eh?

Sorry, I have been busy with domestic duties. I think the Bloomberg interview of Jeremy Siegel of the Wharton School provides further ammunition in support of Baron's, not Barrons', faith in Tesla. It may be available as further news, but I couldn't find a link this morning. Siegel deals with the macro economy and investing in general. He believes we are at the beginning of a long run bull market for dividend stocks given the mismatch between equity and bond yields (if I said that correctly). When pressed, he said he expected p/e ratios in the U.S. indices might return to lower levels and since they are lower already in Europe, if he's right, that might be an even better speculative venture there. Earlier he expressed worry about our last jobs report but relief that Yellon said no rate rise now, but possibly in July. I'm sure Paul Friedman is also relieved. Also Siegel's taste mirrors El-Erian's warning we will likely receive another increase this year.

If Baron is right about the capital light transition underway for Tesla, along with his other arguments, Tesla is consistent with the secular trends Siegel sees. (Sorry if I've abused the terminology here, but what I meant to say may be clear.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: replicant
I'm aware of the 3X capacity statement. However, 35/50 vs 105/150 cell/packs at 3X(they did not specify which is 3X), it still seems they run short of required cells vs Packs capacity. So why wouldn't they buy cheap cells from Samsung for TE Powerwall, if the cells that they can make at the GF are yielding much denser and higher capacity cells than what Samsung has at the lower price point? I know your hang up is the <$100 cost once GF starts churning out cells/packs, and I fundamentally agree with your views. That said, is it possible they will be so focused on ramping up production of 20700 cells for TM in the foreseeable future(and Powerpacks), that they don't want to produce downgraded cells at the GF at less margin for the powerwalls?
1. In addition to the 3x statement you mentioned JB and Elon said that they can produce enough cells at the GF for both TE and cars.

2. If Samsung can make cells for less than Tesla can using the GF why in the world did it make sense to even build the GF?

3. Why do you think that as they become available that they won't transition to using the 20700 cells everywhere except the Roadster? The modules in both the TE products and the cars are very similar. We will find out when they start selling TE packs with GF cells because the capacity will increase by at least 7.5% based on the format plus any increase due to improved cell chemistry.

4. Why do you think that the TE margins are less than the TM margins? They said that they expect the margins to be equal over time, but if you know that they're making a profit now and then figure out how much less the GF Cells cost compared to the GF cells (at least 35% less) how can you not come to the conclusion that their margin on TE products will be at least 50%?
I'll also add a few that aren't official but could very well happen in the next few months:

- Release of Model Y (wildcard)

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to reveal the Y before the "Part 2" of Model 3. They could be announced together, but it seems like Elon likes to keep car announcements separate from other material news. In terms of ordering, it would make sense to reveal Model 3, reveal Model Y, then finally do the "Part 2" where they talk about the tech/other stuff available in the cars. inally, I could see the appeal in doing 3 total reveals for this generation.

This is of course 100% speculation. Tesla has been incredibly quiet about the Model Y lately, yet I have to think they will want to have it for sale sooner rather than later given the enormity of the small SUV market. I can't see them delaying it well beyond the sedan like they did with S/X.
I think based on the market reaction to their faster M3 ramp that announcing plans to produce the Y, possibly even that they're working on the Y would probably cause the SP to drop.

The enormity of the market isn't important in the short term, when they can probably easily generate another 400k of M3 orders when they do the part two reveal. What's important now is their ability to produce a bunch of cars. If the market merely believes they can produce cars it would be huge.

That's the real question. If they can come close to FCF positive, then that'll move the stock in a big way.
Close to FCP = short squeeze?

Reactions: DrJohnM
In addition to the 3x statement you mentioned JB and Elon said that they can produce enough cells at the GF for both TE and cars.
I listened in on the SH meeting. I must've missed where they said they can produce enough CELLS for both TM & TE at the GF. If you have link handy, I'd appreciate it. And ultimately, they could not know, as they don't know the true demand of both beyond current demand. Perhaps it could be more demand than they could scale in their "expedited timeline".

If Samsung can make cells for less than Tesla can using the GF why in the world did it make sense to even build the GF?
Because Samsung can not make same spec cells as GF cells for less cost. I think the point you maybe missing is that the cost to make Good Cells within spec is the same as the Cells that have less capacity/density within the batch. In traditional Battery mfg, these cells are not pass(keep) & fail(throwaway), but tiered based on performance and sold at appropriate price points. So, I think it's possible that Panasonic's mfg technique is at a point where they can't produce enough out of spec cells for TE powerwall, and Samsung's yield is such that they can afford to sell the lowest tiered cells at a price point attractive to Tesla. Sure, their cost is still higher than Panasonic, but they don't need to make same margin on the "out of spec" cells. And I'm sure Samsung wants to build relationship with Tesla, and losing a bit of money on stuff I can't sell as 1st tier product in exchange for future business, is not uncommon in the Korean Business culture.

Why do you think that as they become available that they won't transition to using the 20700 cells everywhere except the Roadster? The modules in both the TE products and the cars are very similar. We will find out when they start selling TE packs with GF cells because the capacity will increase by at least 7.5% based on the format plus any increase due to improved cell chemistry.
Sure, agreed. I think eventually that should be the plan, once Samsung no longer can provide current capacity cells at a price lower than GF failed/throwaway cells.

Why do you think that the TE margins are less than the TM margins? They said that they expect the margins to be equal over time, but if you know that they're making a profit now and then figure out how much less the GF Cells cost compared to the GF cells (at least 35% less) how can you not come to the conclusion that their margin on TE products will be at least 50%?
I don't believe I said TE margins are less than TM margins. If it came across that way, it was a miscommunication on my part. Battery cells are subassembly of a subassembly, So once you roll up the costs with labor, I'm sure TE has a higher overall margin, especially at the recently increased unit prices. But at the cell level, the cost of producing good cells that can be used in cars is the same as out of spec cells that can only be used for TE. So my point was, why would you use the in spec cells that you can use for TM in TE products(assuming they yield mostly in spec cells), when you can just buy them from Samsung on the cheap(speculating)?

Not trying to prove anything... Just hoping to explains my point of view in further detail...

• Informative
Reactions: Tenable and stef
I reported someone and discovered some had already done so. The report has been assigned for disposition to higher authority. Meanwhile if you will again permit my nanny-side, both nice catch and kudos for the restraint which permitted the thread to continue in uninterrupted discourse appropriate to TSLA.

Professor,
I assume you reported me for posting the unfettered truths. You have deleted 4 of my posts containing material information or argument, for 'inappropriate behavior', while at the same time turning a blind eye to all the insults hurled upon myself and other people holding a different view than yours. And you yourself, being a mod, have happily engaged in such insulting behavior. Certainly shows your immaturity at your age.

I suggest users report 'Intl Professor' as unsuitable for his duty as a moderator. A moderator should be impartial, and moderate, and even protect the underdogs. But here we have a person who frequently posts irrelevant, and sometime inappropriate messages (including lurid description of his various bodily functions). Making this forum an echo chamber of kool-aid drinkers can potentially cause major losses for some gullible investors.

That was some crazy TSLA price action today! Up nearly 4% then basically giving it all back, then ending the day at +1.4%. It's my opinion that with oil being strong like it is, TSLA will also be strong, through this week at least. I saw some after-hours trades around $240 which is another good sign (even if the traders are crazy).

Professor,
<snip>

I don't normally get into this stuff... I try to keep my posts concerned with short-term TSLA - but -

We should use "direct messaging" to communicate things to individuals, when the message has nothing to do with the forum subject. Keep it out of the forum thread. It has nothing to do with TSLA short term movements... it's mucking up the thread with unrelated stuff. We should not be forcing hundreds of readers to scroll past these messages that have nothing to do with them. I'm sure your issue is perfectly legitimate, and I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with it, but it has nothing to do with this forum's subject, me, or hundreds of other readers here. Please issue your message directly to Intl Professor using the direct message mechanism. Thanks in advance :)

Ok, I'm done grieving over my lost of potential 1k~ these last two days. Time to find a reentry point. Clearly I'm no good at this, so where do you guys think would be a good place to jump back in? 232 might be possible, 230 would require some luck.

I have given up trying to anticipate short-term moves. News can come from many quarters that will move the stock very quickly. Best to get in and wait. Good things are happening.

Professor,
I assume you reported me for posting the unfettered truths. You have deleted 4 of my posts containing material information or argument, for 'inappropriate behavior', while at the same time turning a blind eye to all the insults hurled upon myself and other people holding a different view than yours. And you yourself, being a mod, have happily engaged in such insulting behavior. Certainly shows your immaturity at your age.

I suggest users report 'Intl Professor' as unsuitable for his duty as a moderator. A moderator should be impartial, and moderate, and even protect the underdogs. But here we have a person who frequently posts irrelevant, and sometime inappropriate messages (including lurid description of his various bodily functions). Making this forum an echo chamber of kool-aid drinkers can potentially cause major losses for some gullible investors.

Hi Troll

What do you want to do here? Achieve fame? Talk the stock down? Talk the stock up? Become god? Pander your own research firm? Let's bring it out in the open so we can troll each other in the biggest troll fest before Q2 result. I'll start.

My goal is to troll the trolls and gain entertainment out of trolls. There, that's easy isn't it. Now your turn.

Ok, I'm done grieving over my lost of potential 1k~ these last two days. Time to find a reentry point. Clearly I'm no good at this, so where do you guys think would be a good place to jump back in? 232 might be possible, 230 would require some luck.

Only advice that's worked for me is Buy-and-hold. Long term TSLA trades for far higher.

Welcome back. Hasn't be easy last few years. TSLA is primed for better years ahead. Safe to say MX delays really put a cap on TSLA and macro issues really hurt at the start of 2016

Thanks Fred. I was pretty convinced we were going into a recession but my fears appear to have been unwarranted. Soros is now calling for the end of the world, but I think we have at least another 1 year bull market ahead - relentless at that. There is no euphoria that I see. That is a good sign.

Thanks Fred. I was pretty convinced we were going into a recession but my fears appear to have been unwarranted. Soros is now calling for the end of the world, but I think we have at least another 1 year bull market ahead - relentless at that. There is no euphoria that I see. That is a good sign.

Dear fellow canuk. Support the troops, and buy a Model 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.