Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're assuming the current number of cars in the pipeline is "correct" relative to the current production. That probably isn't true.

In the press release Tesla hints that 2615, the number of cars in transit at the end of Q1, is ''correct''. Yet production in Q3/Q4 is guided to be 40% higher suggesting a ''correct'' number to exit the quarter is close to 4000. Personally I do not trust this management anymore to be open and transparent about production guidance anymore after what they pulled this quarter, so I take their projections of 2000 and 2200/wk with a big scope of salt.

You are right that the number of in-transit vehicles this quarter might have been greater than average. But 3000 cars in-transit while you're producing 2200 cars a week means that you can get the car in the hands of the customer within 9,5 days on average. I am not an expert on supply-chain logistics, but this sounds as quite a challenge to me! (although this is only the case at the end of the quarter, so as MitchJi suggested they could ship more cars domestically around that time, but still..)
The week the factory is shut down in Q4 may well be the last week of the year (sat 24th - sat 31st). This means that there are no cars being built to go into the pipeline for the last week. It also means that if you have 3000 cars in the pipeline and a production of 2200/week, the last car to be delivered would be produced on (approximately) December 16th, leaving two full weeks to deliver this car.

Reactions: sundaymorning
In the press release Tesla hints that 2615, the number of cars in transit at the end of Q1, is ''correct''. Yet production in Q3/Q4 is guided to be 40% higher suggesting a ''correct'' number to exit the quarter is close to 4000. Personally I do not trust this management anymore to be open and transparent about production guidance anymore after what they pulled this quarter, so I take their projections of 2000 and 2200/wk with a big scope of salt.
The price action this morning suggests the market trusts management and that is all that matters.

You are right that the number of in-transit vehicles this quarter might have been greater than average. But 3000 cars in-transit while you're producing 2200 cars a week means that you can get the car in the hands of the customer within 9,5 days on average. I am not an expert on supply-chain logistics, but this sounds as quite a challenge to me! (although this is only the case at the end of the quarter, so as MitchJi suggested they could ship more cars domestically around that time, but still..)
Average isn't relevant because they will ship their overseas deliveries to earlier in the quarter.

Also you are completely ignoring their 2,200 and 2,400 estimates:
With continued productivity improvements, Tesla expects output to reach 2,200 vehicles per week in Q3 and 2,400 vehicles per week in Q4. Current order rate trends and backlog support production at those levels. In total, Tesla expects to produce and deliver about 50,000 vehicles during the second half of 2016, approximately equal to all of 2015.

I am an S85 owner, Model3 reservation holder and long TSLA, not playing with options, just buying some shares and holding so far, i.e. as much an enthusiast and believer as it gets.

However, after several quarters of repeated "sorry we missed target now, but production rate is so good now, that next quarter is going to be stellar" I am beginning to doubt Elon's words. Just as you can only cry wolf so many times before losing credibility, this mantra of good news always just-around-the-corner is getting old too. He will regain credibility with me when I see actual results delivered, not just promised...
But for now, I will off-load some of my shares.

You're assuming the current number of cars in the pipeline is "correct" relative to the current production. That probably isn't true.

How many cars were in the pipeline at the end of Q4 2015? Maybe 1000? That was with an annual production rate of around 56k. It stands to reason that Tesla could schedule deliveries such that the pipeline would be much closer to empty than what you're assuming. I think something like 2000-4000 cars in the pipeline is reasonable. Let's say 4000 in Q3 and they push it down to 3000 for Q4.

If so, assuming 12 weeks of production and 2000 cars/week, the equation for deliveries in Q3 would be:

((13-1)*2000)+5150-4000 = 25.150

And assuming 12 weeks and 2100 cars/wk in Q4, the equation for Q4 would be:

((13-1)*2100)+4000-3000 = 26.200

Tesla would thus meet guidance by delivering 80.540 vehicles.

This is with a *slight* production ramp, 1 week off in each quarter, and a number of vehicles in the pipeline relative to production which is higher than they have achieved in the past. This isn't an optimistic estimate.

Would you consider applying 2200 and 2400 production for the optimistic scenario. In that case the
deliveries exceed 85,000 . However if something can go wrong it will, so lets work with the lower
production range.

What i find important in the latest release is that model x is now at full ramp, and that is what tesla
has expressed and confirmed with confidence. My calculations tell me that above 1800 cars per week they generate
enough revenues to cover all costs, fixed and variable. We shall see.

Once they cover all costs, it makes sense to buy on dips, as the long term objective
becomes less risky.

However, after several quarters of repeated "sorry we missed target now, but production rate is so good now, that next quarter is going to be stellar" I am beginning to doubt Elon's words. Just as you can only cry wolf so many times before losing credibility, this mantra of good news always just-around-the-corner is getting old too. He will regain credibility with me when I see actual results delivered, not just promised...

But for now, I will off-load some of my shares.
And buy them back after good news, when presumably the price will be higher? Sounds like a strategy for selling low and buying high.

“That said, suppliers continue to suggest Tesla has had difficulty maintaining steady production of Model X, with some estimating “up time” is as low as 50%. This is highly unusual for an automaker… so we are not sure whether Tesla has overcome production challenges.
In that context what's "up time "?

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
...from behind the paywall (streetinsider.com):

Baird analyst Ben Kallo reiterated an Outperform rating and $338 price target on Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) amid the Q2 delivery miss reported over the weekend. While he expects shares to face near-term pressure they remain buyers.

Kallo commented, "Total Q2 deliveries were below our estimate and FY:16 deliveries are expected to be slightly below TSLA’s previously guided range. That said, TSLA had >5k vehicles in transit at quarter-end, and significantly ramped production, nearly reaching its targeted production rate of ~2k vehicles per week. We would be buyers on any weakness as upcoming catalysts (additional Model III details, cash flow positive, Model X reviews, gigafactory updates) should drive shares higher over the long term."

Although I'm not very happy about the miss, I recognize that the company is in a better position now than they were 2-3 quarters ago. The X is ramped, the S is refreshed, the 3 pre-orders were impressive and the competitive responses have been pathetic. Capital raised, Panasonic committed, GF operational(?). Of course cash flow isn't positive and we will see about SCTY, but overall master plan is on track.

I do need to just buy more shares vs leaps however

Interesting perspective (for now) :

GM down 2.28%
F down 2.52%

TSLA down 2.91%

Edit: And that while Ford had good June numbers.. :eek: :rolleyes:

Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) has been one of the best performing automakers in the U.S. this year. It maintained its momentum in June, posting a solid 6.4% increase in U.S. deliveries.

Read more: Ford Posts Stellar June Sales, While GM Rebounds -- The Motley Fool

Last edited:
Interesting perspective (for now) :

GM down 2.28%
F down 2.52%

TSLA down 2.91%

Way to lead the auto industry, TSLA!!! :rolleyes:
Sorry, in a dark humor mood.

Just put in another teensy accumulate-on-the-lows limit order - thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and insights here. My naive, flawed gut instinct says I'll be accumulating through to GF opening (and July delivery announcement), then things will bounce up a bit, but I'm not expecting any serious short squeeze until Q3 ER (*if* SCTY acquisition goes smoothly, i.e. street trusts Elon; and *if* ER shows profit; and it would also be nice to have some positive news on M3 production plans).

Reactions: Gerardf
Press reporting balanced is helping the SP today. Could have been much worse.

On CCN Money :

Tesla is struggling to get its cars to customers

Tesla is building cars at a faster pace, but it's having problems delivering them to eager customers.
The electric car maker announced on Sunday it delivered only 78% of the 18,345 cars it built in the second quarter. The difference - a large jump in the number of cars that are on their way to dealers. It said there were 5,150 cars on trucks and ships at the end of the quarter, roughly twice as many as were in transit at the end of the first quarter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.