Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I suspected I think the news was taken as "mixed" rather than bad. I read all of the "musk is losing credibility" posts and I keep thinking that he basically already lost credibility last quarter. Bad delivery news fatigue has set in and just isn't as impactful anymore. I sorely wish they would stop promising more than they can deliver, but... in a weird way as long as your metrics are consistent investors can make sense of performance. Maybe from now on the narrative will be Tesla guides to 17k deliveries and 20k production and we all speculate how much the miss will be? A bull says I think they will only miss this much, and a Bear says I think they will miss this larger number :)

Then in a quarter or two they actually deliver a beat and the market freaks out to the upside.

Silver linings:
1) It feels now like the choke point is delivery to customers, not the factory. that is the very problem we have been pining for.
2) Maybe they are distracted by the model 3 dev. Valuation is based on the model 3 not this quarters Model S deliveries.

I find it hard to believe that the only punishment $TSLA will receive for that bad Q2 miss on deliveries is down $7? Really?
Yeah, I'm shocked that neither the miss or the autopilot crash has sent TSLA back to $180 land. TSLA/SCTY shorts are gonna get squoze soon at this rate. Very excited to get this Gigafactory opened.

Press reporting balanced is helping the SP today. Could have been much worse.

On CCN Money :

Tesla is struggling to get its cars to customers

Tesla is building cars at a faster pace, but it's having problems delivering them to eager customers.
The electric car maker announced on Sunday it delivered only 78% of the 18,345 cars it built in the second quarter. The difference - a large jump in the number of cars that are on their way to dealers. It said there were 5,150 cars on trucks and ships at the end of the quarter, roughly twice as many as were in transit at the end of the first quarter.

Is it a concern that a sample at one store showed 30% of Model S marked as Marketing/Inventory cars?

-There were 30+ Model S on the lot. Most were marked as "customer cars". There were 8-10 marked as inventory/marketing cars.

0 shares available to short at Fidelity, annual interest rate went up from 12% on Friday to 14% today.

can someone explain to me what this means? so, 0 shares available to short means you can't find any shares to short because there's a maximum number of shorts already? And what about the annual interest rate going up? Is this in regards to the short? Thank you.

2) Maybe they are distracted by the model 3 dev. Valuation is based on the model 3 not this quarters Model S deliveries.

Two separate parts of the business that don't interact much. But where there may be some overlap is changing the model X to make it easier to manufacture.

I do agree that SP is supported by the likely price if/when the model 3 is successfully delivered.

1) It feels now like the choke point is delivery to customers, not the factory. that is the very problem we have been pining for.

Why would the model S have a delivery choke point? About 9800 MS delivered Q2 2016. Even with many MS in transit, line 1 should have been able to keep total customer deliveries high if MS demand is sufficient.

Reactions: X Yes?
Toyota Dumps Prius Inventory as Sales Collapse

"Sales of the hybrid were off 26.7% to 11,027 in June and 25.2% to 67,405 for the first six months. Incentives on the Prius have moved aggressively to .9% for 72 months to clear inventory before the next model year of the hybrid arrives."

Maybe part of the reason why tsla hasn't tanked is because EVERYONE now realizes that electric is the way to go and tsla is at the forefront?

I am surprised as anyone how well TSLA held up on the news. Not really complaining, it allowed me to liquidate my position with small gain. It may be confirmation bias but I remember TSLA falling only later in the day after having released bad news so may be the case here as well. When the quarterly report comes out there is another possibility of the market punishing the stock because I don't expect the financials to be particularly good this quarter.

Reactions: X Yes?
Is it a concern that a sample at one store showed 30% of Model S marked as Marketing/Inventory cars?

I had this same thought but likely the inventory cars are not moving at the same speed as the customer cars. (A few inventory cars had the old nose as well). It does not mean they are building 30% inventory cars.

The more important fact from my post is there were many customer cars undelivered. Which aligns with the guidance from Tesla. These cars were clearly not prepped for delivery so they had either just arrived or there was a bottle neck for delivery prep.

Reactions: sundaymorning
I had this same thought but likely the inventory cars are not moving at the same speed as the customer cars. (A few inventory cars had the old nose as well). It does not mean they are building 30% inventory cars.

The more important fact from my post is there were many customer cars undelivered. Which aligns with the guidance from Tesla. These cars were clearly not prepped for delivery so they had either just arrived or there was a bottle neck for delivery prep.

With any cars marked "inventory", has Tesla's build to order model changed?

• Disagree
Reactions: sundaymorning
As I suspected I think the news was taken as "mixed" rather than bad. I read all of the "musk is losing credibility" posts and I keep thinking that he basically already lost credibility last quarter. Bad delivery news fatigue has set in and just isn't as impactful anymore. I sorely wish they would stop promising more than they can deliver, but... in a weird way as long as your metrics are consistent investors can make sense of performance. Maybe from now on the narrative will be Tesla guides to 17k deliveries and 20k production and we all speculate how much the miss will be? A bull says I think they will only miss this much, and a Bear says I think they will miss this larger number :)

Then in a quarter or two they actually deliver a beat and the market freaks out to the upside.

Silver linings:

Come on, guys, I can't believe I keep reading about choke point being delivery, while it is clearly productions shortcomings, specifically their inability to ramp-up in the first two month of Q2, that caused the miss in deliveries. As I posted few times, in Q1 and Q2 Tesla use extreme geographical batching to maximize delivery of cars produced within the quarter by the end of the same quarter. In order to make this work they produce cars slated for Asian deliveries for the first couple weeks of a quarter, then for about 4 weeks switch to manufacturing the European cars, and finally finish the quarter (remaining 6 weeks) manufacturing cars for NA.

Since they produced only about 1000 cars per week in the first 8 weeks, the quntity of cars shipped to Asia and Europe was much less than they planned. So the reason for underperformance is not inability to deliver all cars that were shipped, but inability to ship enough cars to begin with. So the issue is delayed production ramp (as is clearly stated in the Press Release), not inability to deliver cars that were shipped in time to be delivered.

This all squares with Elon having sleeping bag on the factory floor - I can understand that, when production was crawling at about only 1000 cars/week in April and May! The departure of manufacturing executives, I think, is linked to the same problem. Thanks God, we have a CEO who can roll his sleeves and demonstrate that what he was probably told "was not possible" is possible indeed - i.e. scaling general assembly line to produce about 2,000 cars/week, even though the MX ramp was obviously not working as planned, slowing down the general assembly line, and having negative impact on MS throughput.

I am very frustrated with the miss, but perhaps it is the time to pause staring in the rear view mirror. The net result is that new manufacturing team is in place, Elon proved that they can sustain 2000 cars/week, and, by the way, with more that 5K cars on a way to customers and the Asset Backed Line of credit to be used to count cash from sales of these cars in Q2, the financials will not look as bad as many seem to believe.

The strength of TSLA today might just be reflection of the fact that large institutional shareholders increase their positions as I am typing this...

EDIT: ABL will help with cash flow, not revenue

Last edited:
I think we will drop 10%, the miss was just enormous and the full year guidance was practially lowered too as they are sticking to the 50k delivered in H2, so now we are looking at around 79k. I also think this will add to the increasing investor frustration (we also see here) with targets that are missed again and again. I think we will drift further down towards Q2 earnings as it won't be pretty.

Or not.

I already pointed out one valid explanation. My local SC gets trucks coming and going daily. They keep fewer than 50% of the inbound vehicles.
They ship them out to other SCs on the east coast.
So, very possible that many of those cars at Paramus will go to different facilities in the east/northeast.
While this is speculative on my part the theory does have merit based on my experience.

Reactions: TMSE
Status
Not open for further replies.