Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh. It seems to be pretty reliably bouncing off $200 for the time being. Yesterday was the meat of the fall, I don't consider the ~75c we're down today to be much of a concern. That's normal intra-day drift for $TSLA, especially when shares available to short > 0. Once the shorts run out of ammo, it should start going back up again.

It has fallen to this level from m3 hype high of $265 around April 6th. Miserable performance indeed!

and I can joust somewhat amicably because we enjoyed a few good hours together one January day with our Teslas parked next to each other, trying to watch a Falcon 9 take off from Vandenberg but all we got was a mighty roar coming through the fog and a spectacular cow stampede on the hillside. At no time did I declare the fog the work of the short-sellers.
You could both be partially correct.
An Arbitrage Question:

Preface: I believe many of us come here to share opinions and facts and have discussions so that our collective knowledge may give us an edge as retail traders over the big firms on WS.
My thoughts
Agree? Disagree? Am I missing something?
Do you believe that WS is correct? Maybe its a short term bet, that waiting will net an even better price, which I think is the only way you can lose.
As soon as you enter your arbitrage trade your profit is locked. Price fluctuations of both stocks doesn't matter for you anymore. Poor performance of SCTY is caused by combination of #2 and #3.

If he'd done what he said he'd do, the blog would have been on the website long before the Falcon 9 blew up.

Just to provide the facts:

- Musk tweeted at 8:25 am california time on the 31st that he would post the blog later that day. That means the deadline was no later than 12 pm on the 31st.
- The Falcon 9 blew up at 9:07 am Florida time, or 6:07 am California time on the 1st. At least 6 hours after the blog was supposed to be up.
And how is any of that relevant or important?

It has fallen to this level from m3 hype high of $265 around April 6th. Miserable performance indeed!
Certainly, performance on average since April is bad. But if you were investing for the period of April to now, I'd be asking you why. The real performance comes with M3 delivered in quantity, and so you should be expecting to hold until then.

Do you not think it will return toward M3 hype levels on reveal part deux? Remember, Elon said that Tesla didn't expect this many pre-orders until then (they originally expected something like 100k preorders from part 1 and bump to 300-400k for part 2). Can we expect a bump then from 400k up to 1200-1600k? I don't know. Probably not that high, but I expect a bump just the same, perhaps to 800k-1000k.

Eh. It seems to be pretty reliably bouncing off $200 for the time being. Yesterday was the meat of the fall, I don't consider the ~75c we're down today to be much of a concern. That's normal intra-day drift for $TSLA, especially when shares available to short > 0. Once the shorts run out of ammo, it should start going back up again.

Now $2 down. God got to help tesla longs!

• Disagree
Reactions: Dwdnjck
EM should be really ashamed of his I-don't-care way of treating Tesla share holders. I have been holding tesla shares nearly 3 years now: no gains while lots of pains!

To me this represents a fundamental misunderstanding of EM. It assumes that money is the mission rather than a means to an end. Frankly I don't view my TSLA investment as an entitlement to profits. Rather I am like a Remora and have to feed off of the scraps left by the shark as he goes on his mission. I'll admit this is contrary to the "ownership" concept of shareholders but we all know that EM would rather not deal with a public company. So as long as he calls the shots we must accept his shortcomings and qualities, certainly there are both. However, I would sell my TSLA if he were not the decision-maker.

What's wrong with both keeping Tesla team accountable AND keeping an eye on what short sellers are up to?

So as someone who is short, (sold calls and long puts) here is a thought on the focus on "short sellers" and price manipulation.
It is possible to be a fundamental investor and see a stock as overvalued the same as seeing a stock fundamentally undervalued. In the latter case you buy and in the former you sell. Might some very large participants want a short term price drop? sure. But it can also be the case that there are patient short sellers who just fundamentally believe the price should be much lower.

Given the actual events, investigations, "demand levers", SCTY and disclosures over the last 90 days it is plausible that some investors want to take advantage of the price going lower over 6, 12 or 18 months and that is not the same as price manipulation. Many who see the stock as overvalued have bought puts, at a substantial premium, and that can't be construed as manipulation. So perhaps instead of focusing on short selling and its affect on price action it makes more sense to ask what is the case for being a short seller? Not sure how watching number of shares available to borrow gives a retail investor any actionable information. FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.