Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, apparently some people sent me messages late and I didn't see them. Sorry about that! we had a terrific discussion, mostly around trading actually. Thanks to all those that joined.

If it makes sense, shall we have another next week after the SCTY why-we-are-doing-this party, or whatever they are going to do with that?

if there's a recording of the hangout available, please post

accounts payable decreased on a per vehicle level, its hard to remember that they produced like 75% more vehicles

"We achieved record production levels in Q3, rising to 25,185 vehicles for an increase of 37% from Q2 and an increase of 92% from Q3 last year."

AP and accrued liabilities increase from $1.673 billion to $2.301 billion, a 37.5% increase

The 10Q will have more detail, but total cost of revenues was only $1.662 billion so AP/AL was 138% of COGs.

Last edited:
Our cash flow from operations during the quarter was $424 million due to increased sales, coupled with careful expense management.

Well, since the payables jumped quite a bit, there was quite some deferral as well :)
But I thank you for predicting the ZEV bonanza so accurately in this thread. That was quite an achievement, to dig it up for the rest of us.

I'm a bit puzzled by the big increase in share count from Q2 to Q3. Any explanation?
Q2 2016 letter, page 5: Shares used in per share calculation, basic and diluted 139,983K
Q3 2016 letter, page 6: Shares used in per share calculation Basic 148,991K Diluted 156,935K

There was no cap raise in Q3. What caused such increase? IIRC, annual dilution should be about 4% for stock based compensation. Is this big increase caused by repayment of the convertibles?

The discounting FUD in Q3 was obvious nonsense and that showed up in the Q3 automotive gross margins of 29.4%.

Tesla is going to kill it in Q4. Automotive GAAP gross margins will be over 30% -- take it to the bank.
the 29.4% margin you are citing includes the impact of ZEV credits; 25% non-GAAP margins are the right number to think about, especially given they guided that ZEV revenue should be negligible in 4Q. Now I'm not saying 30% is impossible (particularly given Elon's comments about the significant demand for the P100D), but it would be a major increase from 25% to 30%.

just want to temper expectations based on what we know...

surfside

Sell roughly the same cars, remove another 750MM in capex and 130M in ZEV and you get a loss of 850MM at least, which I understand am ok with.

In my opinion, the biggest positive item is the SG&A expenses barely moving compared to sales volume. As long as the 600MM in AP is not related to SG&A expenses this is a huge sign of Tesla turning the corner on efficiency.

CapEX does not show up on an Income Statement. The relatively small increase in SG&A shows that potential of operating leverage. Oddly SG&A grew ~$43 million from Q1 to Q2 but only ~$16 million from Q2 to Q3. I suspect the employer's portion of Medicare taxes on Elon's Q2 option exercise distorted the Q2 numbers when doing comparisons in either direction. .

I believe that we'll get analyst upgrades tomorrow morning and raised PTs
I think whatever analyst upgrades there are in the next couple days will be tempered due to lack of visibility caused by pending SCTY acquisition. Elon tried to clear things up with his words (ie., saying that SCTY will possibly be cash neutral next year), but skeptical finance-oriented analysts/investors want more than Elon's words at this point.

Updating this with what we now know:

I suspect what we've seen is approximately Option B), with a sale price on the recent credits of $139M/62,894 credits = $2210/credit. A fire sale to be sure, but remember, every car sold in a CARB state generates 4 credits. US sales being about half of world sales, and CARB states being about half of US sales sounds about right to me, so that is another ~25k credits being generated in Q4, regardless of whether or not we sell them this quarter.

On a gross basis, we now know Tesla has reported $204 million in ZEV credit revenue (profit) between 10/1/15 and 9/30/16 and CARB reported 80,227 credits transferred (sold) during the last fiscal year (10/1/15 to 8//31/16) or an average of $2,542 which is consistent with Elon's discussion of 50 cents on the dollar if you assume the dollar is $5,000 fine per insufficient credit.

It's possible credits sold in 4Q15 and 1Q16 were worth more than those sold in 3Q16, but the overall average shows those credits are still worth thousands rather hundreds of dollars. (I think Fallenone graciously, but subtly, acknowledged that up thread.)

• Informative
Reactions: techmaven
Jonas was on the call. He invited Elon to share when he thinks Tesla will start seeing regulatory approval in some regions for full autonomous. Elon didn't go there. fwiw, on another question, he described how at 6 billion miles, by global averages, one would expect 100 fatalities, and that is the scale at which he feels the fatality data may be seen as sufficient (other data on mitigation of serious injuries will be robust with less miles).

Was it just me, or did Adam seem dejected? I expected a victory lap acknowledging Tesla Network. What gives?

Reactions: RobsJester
I think whatever analyst upgrades there are in the next couple days will be tempered due to lack of visibility caused by pending SCTY acquisition. Elon tried to clear things up with his words (ie., saying that SCTY will possibly be cash neutral next year), but skeptical finance-oriented analysts/investors want more than Elon's words at this point.

Analysts got slapped in the face by Elon's $23 million. Enough said, mic drop...

How the stock performs in coming days really depends on large buyers and large sellers. There doesn't seem to be a strong reason to sell here (let's say at $211 closing AH price today). But the question is will large institutions/funds step up to the plate and start buying TSLA aggressively. Or will they be hesitant and still scared away due to the SCTY acquisition. If there was no acquisition, then I can see strong buying and a big run. But as it is, it's unclear to me. Large funds might want to wait until Elon shares more on Friday and next week about the SCTY acquisition. Or even some large funds might want to wait to see the combined finances in a quarterly report (ie., Q4 report in Feb 2017). But overall, I think this quarterly report might be what we need to see sentiment around TSLA turn positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.