Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This article is probably pushing the truth.

I bought 10kW of panels in person from a very small* manufacturer in Indiana earlier this year for <$0.32/W cash. If he could sell them at that price 8 months ago and still make a profit, big guys better have lower costs.
Quality remains to be seen obviously, but they were made from high efficiency Solarworld cells (~295-305W panels) and are so far holding up.

* Based out of an old warehouse in rural Indiana and was in the early stages of ramping production. My panels were tabbed with a fully automatic hot air machine, but he had just taken delivery of a brand new induction tabbing machine capable of 5 busbar cells.

So, just catching up on my TMC reading.

Does anyone have proof/links to support either the bull or bear case about production weeks in Q4?

Bulls: closed max of two weeks
Bears: Closed about 4 weeks.

My Captain Obvious observation: That is a 4k-5k difference in production.

Even if you're right, that many of the Model 3 reservation holders are weak and shifting to Model S and X and the number is down to 100k, you must remember that those reservation holders are only the people who were willing to put down $1000 without a test drive, and for half of them without even knowing what the car looks like, nearly 2 years from when they might expect to see their car. No product in history, much less a $35,000+ car, has had that much tangible pent up demand.

I maintain my stance that once you can get a test drive in a Model 3, or see your friends unit, that the order backlog will grow to 5-20x its current length, and then it will grow again when Tesla Network goes live, and the car can earn it's keep and be an investment. After that, there may never be an ability for Tesla to keep up with the demand.

Agreed. Previous discussions estimate more than 500,000 Model 3 reservations based on Q3 financials. Tesla does not want to discuss or reveal reservations because they cannot (and may not for a decade or more) meet the demand that may ensue. Tesla is literally racing to meet the current demand. As you have stated well, once the Model 3s are out and become fully autonomous, demand will far outstrip Tesla's rapidly accelerating production. The race is on and, as shareholders and environmentalists, we are going to enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Intl Professor

Does anyone have proof/links to support either the bull or bear case about production weeks in Q4?

One of our members who toured the factory around Christmastime confirmed that the factory was NOT closed for a week prior to Christmas, and so 1 week is all the closure in December. Thus:informed bear case: about 3 weeks and about 2K to 2.5K difference in output between bull and bear cases.

All our bets are now placed for 4Q delivery numbers. It's time to be festive as we wait for the roulette wheel to slow and proclaim a number.

Reactions: AlMc
One of our members who toured the factory around Christmastime confirmed that the factory was NOT closed for a week prior to Christmas, and so 1 week is all the closure in December. Thus:informed bear case: about 3 weeks and about 2K to 2.5K difference in output between bull and bear cases.

All our bets are now placed for 4Q delivery numbers. It's time to be festive as we wait for the roulette wheel to slow and proclaim a number.

Thanks.

I see in the postings that @Krugerrand is suggesting that we don't know IF the factory was closed for two weeks in October as some have suggested.

Can he/she (or anyone else) provide additional information that might point us to a correct conclusion: Open the whole month? closed one week? closed two weeks.

Not sure how reliable the model S tracker spread sheet is.. but I see a gap of about 2 weeks in the 'production start' column between customer entries during early October. Everything else looks sufficiently full including last 2 weeks of December.

Tesla owner files lawsuit in California claiming sudden acceleration

I don't see why a news organization would put this on the front page of their website unless they were paid to do so by the dark forces attacking Tesla. These individual cases are made all the time against all manufactures, and there is no evidence to suggest this is a legitimate one (they almost never are).

Reuters has been paid to attack Tesla since 2013

They reported a two months old fire one day after ER at 2013

• Informative
Reactions: Off Shore and MikeC
MODERATOR NOTE FOR ALL:

For 2017, we are going to have TWO threads to take this thread's place. The 2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action is STRICTLY & EXCLUSIVELY for market-themed discussions. All general discussions regarding Tesla that presumably are of interest to the investment community are to be confined to the 2017 Investor Roundtable: General Discussion thread.

These two threads will open for posts whenever I get up :) on 1 January. Or maybe just after we ring in the New Year. Until then, please continue to post on this, the 2016 Short-Term thread, which will shutter at the same time as the two new ones open.

I dont see canceling a M3 reservation as being wise even if you are considering getting another vehicle. I get the feeling if you have a reservation with no intention to personally drive it it will make a good investment vehicle once the Tesla network is up and running.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to do that. We have two reservations and hope to have a relative buy one before the tax credit expires. However, I would ad, for those of us within the first day of reservations each and every one of them will someday be a valuable collector's item or could be sold--perhaps at a profit--to someone anxious further down the line, of course after the appropriate wait. Alternatively, as someone else has said upthread, if the stock goes up as much as I anticipate within the year we will buy either an S or X without selling any of the stock. Given a chance, on my deathbed as I've already told my 40 year younger wife my parting words will be: "never sell the Tesla stock."

Audubonb - I'm guessing around 5-10% of what is currently being posted would qualify as market-themed. Does that seem about right and what you're wanting in that thread? Or would you expect discussion surrounding current/upcoming earnings and deliveries to be in that thread as well since they're so closely related to market action?

Ans. from Lord Vetinari: From the input I've received, I am leaning toward the former. If things don't go as swimmingly as I know all of you are heartfeltedly desiring them to proceed, I may swap a few posts thither and yon until all is right with the universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.