Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thing to contemplate regarding the global LNG... If LNG at $18/mmBtu is high enough to shut down ammonia production in Europe, this could be an opportunity for green ammonia elsewhere on the planet. For example, Australia is building up green hydrogen resources, electrolyzers that run on solar and wind power. Australia can use some of that green hydrogen to make ammonia and ship green ammonia to Europe and Asia. In doing this, Australia would help secure the global ammonia supply while offsetting reliance on natural gas resources to produce ammonia. Thus, green ammonia is a vehicle for wind and solar to impact the global LNG market and reduce reliance on fossil fuels.

The issue here is not so much about long-term deep decarbonization, but rather how can wind, solar and batteries ramp up on a year by year basis to keep the global economy stable and to avoid incentivizing the fossil industries to ramp up production. No doubt the high price of gas is motivating the gas industry and coal industry to invest in more productive capacity and more LNG capacity. These investments will lock in higher fossil fuel production for years to come. It would be far better to ramp up all renewable investments in such a year so as to alleviate a tight gas market within a shorter amount of time than can be resolved by increased gas and LNG investments. It is a race to close the global energy gap, and we need wind and solar to win that race every single year.

By the way, I've heard that wind generation is down about 10% this year across Europe, and that this a factor contributing to high demand for LNG. I think green hydrogen is actually a way to prevent this sort of short fall. Suppose, Europe had 12% more wind capacity and that this wind capacity was match GW for GW with electrolyzer capacity. This means that when wind is producing at normal levels, the extra 12% of wind is fully consumed by green hydrogen generation. But when the wind is blowing with 10% less power, the electrolyzers switch off allowing the 112% wind capacity to contribute a full 100% of what was expected. Granted this would still mean that Europe would need to net import more ammonia or hydrogen from a place like Australia to make up for the electrolyzer downtime, but Europe would not need to elevate its import of LNG and pay through the nose for it. Indeed, I think that some of the best policy support that European states can provide for the wind and solar industries is to subsidize the capex of electrolyzers. At lower net capex, electrolyzers will increase demand for more wind and solar generation whenever the wind is blowing or the sun is shining, but it will dial back demand for power whenever the price power become marginally unprofitable. Thus, Europe incentivizes a dispatchable surplus of wind and solar. Such a scheme would protect the European economy from crushingly high energy prices. Indeed, nations could call this a strategic wind & solar reserve, of comparable importance as a strategic petroleum reserve.

So I want to know how much of this export of US gas is being replaced by new installations of wind and solar in the US. Current estimates for 2021 installations is 21 GW wind and 26 GW. At EIA average capacity factors of 35% and 25% respectively, this combined installation can generate about GW average, which offsets 2.57 Bcf/day of natural gas. Thus, the increase of wind and solar in the US offset about as much gas as the US is incrementally supplying to Europe and Asia via new LNG capacity.

There's also potential displacement from the over 1GW of batteries added this year.

The fly in the ointment is that nuclear, coal and some other fossil capacity continues to close. Currently some or all of that likely increase in natural gas generation is probably being offset by increased use of coal capacity, but renewables need to displace both the LNG demand and the other capacity closures.

Reactions: jhm
There's also potential displacement from the over 1GW of batteries added this year.

The fly in the ointment is that nuclear, coal and some other fossil capacity continues to close. Currently some or all of that likely increase in natural gas generation is probably being offset by increased use of coal capacity, but renewables need to displace both the LNG demand and the other capacity closures.
Absolutely agree. We need much more wind, solar and batteries each year to cover all thermal plant closures and to actually accelerate those closures. We'll know RE is hitting the market when domestic gas production and consumption both go into decline. For now I'm just excited that wind and solar are at the level to deprive NA gas producers incremental demand via LNG exports.

Hmm, as I was writing this, I thought I might pull up a chart from EIA. Apparently, US natural gas production hit a peak in Dec 2019 at 117 Bcf/d and as of June 2021 it is down to 113 Bcf/d. Of course, the pandemic makes this a difficult period from which to extrapolate trends. But it is curious that production declined about 4 Bcf/d while LNG exports increased about 3 Bcf/d. No wonder the market it tight.

chart.png

Meanwhile, US gas consumption for power generation is steadily growing for now, while total consumption has had a peak in 2019. It's hard to say just how durable this peak will prove to be because of the obvious issues during 2020. Also I'm showing annual totals here rather than monthly because consumption has such strong seasonality it's hard to see year-to-year changes. EIA lacks a seasonally adjusted metric which would be more helpful here.

chart (1).png

At any rate, wind, solar, and battery capacity most directly compete with gas used for power generation, and it looks like they are not yet to the scale needed to drive down gas consumption in that sector. Specifically, power burn of gas increased 308,562 MMcf or 0.845 Bcf/d from 2019 to 2020. This is only about a third of the increase in LNG capacity the next year. So if wind and solar installations in 2021 are able to offset 2.57 Bcf/d, then they only need to scale up another 40% cover increment LNG export and incremental US gas power generation. I think the cost declines in batteries coupled with high gas prices set the US up for continued growth in wind and solar installation. A US gas demand peak could be realized in 2 to 4 years.

So if wind and solar installations in 2021 are able to offset 2.57 Bcf/d, then they only need to scale up another 40% cover increment LNG export and incremental US gas power generation. I think the cost declines in batteries coupled with high gas prices set the US up for continued growth in wind and solar installation. A US gas demand peak could be realized in 2 to 4 years.
One of the biggest things driven into my brain by this thread is natural gas supply being almost purely a byproduct of crude exploration. Everyone's whooping and hollering with excitement that US demand is going to magically return to pre-pandemic levels "within months", but we all know that's very unlikely. What's that mean for gas(methane) prices from here on out?

Just looking at domestic crude production, we tried to bring it back up to 11Mb/d as we moved out of pandemic wave 2, but that didn't hold and now we're doing ~10Mb/d. I suppose this is essentially in unspoken coordination with OPEC+ to keep the appearance of "tight supplies". Well pre-covid we were pumping something like 12.5-13.5Mb/d and I don't see us being able to add that much supply any time soon. Do y'all?

What happens in 2023 when reality becomes even more clear and others with cheap/easy crude start pumping at normal(or god forbid desperate elevated) levels? Are we going to be fracking at the same rate that brought about this boom in methane turbine electricity supply? I don't think it's even going to be about economics 16 months from now, gas will be that expensive. Solar/wind+battery storage should be far far cheaper than any new gas capacity and cheaper than a lot of existing gas capacity too.

It's almost like we don't have a plan for the future. I bet China does!

Reactions: jhm and navguy12
One of the biggest things driven into my brain by this thread is natural gas supply being almost purely a byproduct of crude exploration. Everyone's whooping and hollering with excitement that US demand is going to magically return to pre-pandemic levels "within months", but we all know that's very unlikely. What's that mean for gas(methane) prices from here on out?

Just looking at domestic crude production, we tried to bring it back up to 11Mb/d as we moved out of pandemic wave 2, but that didn't hold and now we're doing ~10Mb/d. I suppose this is essentially in unspoken coordination with OPEC+ to keep the appearance of "tight supplies". Well pre-covid we were pumping something like 12.5-13.5Mb/d and I don't see us being able to add that much supply any time soon. Do y'all?

What happens in 2023 when reality becomes even more clear and others with cheap/easy crude start pumping at normal(or god forbid desperate elevated) levels? Are we going to be fracking at the same rate that brought about this boom in methane turbine electricity supply? I don't think it's even going to be about economics 16 months from now, gas will be that expensive. Solar/wind+battery storage should be far far cheaper than any new gas capacity and cheaper than a lot of existing gas capacity too.

It's almost like we don't have a plan for the future. I bet China does!
I'm glad you raised the issue of associated gas. It is so helpful to remember. The recent decline in US gas production is probably just a reduction in oil production. I think LNG capacity plays a very important role here. It pulls excess associated gas out of the domestic marker, which drives up the price and makes oil production a more profitable investment. So when wind and solar ramp up fast than incremental LNG capacity, this will defeat the effort to keep domestic gas prices high.

Hey, Mule, here's a hedge fund for you.
Stopped reading when I saw $187-million fund, that is pocket change in the hedge fund world

Started liquidating some of my O&G positions on Friday, might do some more today. Still expect them to go higher but dont want to get too greedy when they’re already up 300% in some cases

Stopped reading when I saw $187-million fund, that is pocket change in the hedge fund world

Started liquidating some of my O&G positions on Friday, might do some more today. Still expect them to go higher but dont want to get too greedy when they’re already up 300% in some cases
Good luck with your trade!

In Q4 of 2018, there was a spike in natural gas prices. There was all sorts of worry about China not having enough gas to get through Q1. Now we've got both China and Europe panic buying LNG and gas. Will the price crash down as quickly as it spiked up? We'll see.
natural_gas-2021-09-27.png

Good luck with your trade!

In Q4 of 2018, there was a spike in natural gas prices. There was all sorts of worry about China not having enough gas to get through Q1. Now we've got both China and Europe panic buying LNG and gas. Will the price crash down as quickly as it spiked up? We'll see.
View attachment 714867
Much appreciated! So far I’ve sold around 4,500 shares of CVE @ $12.20-12.70

Probably paid an average of like $3 for them

Reactions: jhm
If my math is correct, 67.875 euro/MWh, 89.93 USD/MWh is $26.36/mmBtu, very high indeed.

Natural gas is supposed to be a bridge to renewable energy. However, the cost of this back is pretty pricey and not so reliable. Coal and oil are coming in to back up nat gas. I'm not super impressed with gas industry complaining about renewable energy when their so called bridge fails just when it is needed.

Reactions: mspohr

This is impressive. By going slow on climate change, the globe spends $26T more on energy than going fast. Fossil fuels are expensive, but the fast we scale renewables, the quicker experience curves cost efficiencies kick in.

Last couple weeks we saw some pretty powerful headlines about "massive crude supply draws" and "dramatically tightening domestic supplies". I'll wager we don't hear much today on a weekly EIA report documenting a crude/products supply build of 10M+ barrels. Never mind that brings supplies right back to where they were at the beginning of the month.

These clowns are playing a very temporary(and somewhat intentional) logistics logjam to boost futures prices pretending we're moving into some kind of long duration tight market. By Thanksgiving we'll be drowning in crude, by St Paddy's Day the frackers will be filling these $65-75 contracts with no end consumer to buy the products.

No idea how to play this rollercoaster, but we should start thinking about it. Volatility in the "energy world" is about to get far crazier than anything we've seen from TSLA over the last bunch of years. My first bet would be multiple "accidental" refinery explosions and shut downs in February.

oil_price_charts-2021-09-29.png

It's helpful to compare the Japan/Korea price for LNG (Asian price market) with the Dutch TTF natural gas price (European price marker). From about October to January, Asia and Europe are trying to load up gas reserves sufficient for winter. So the price builds up at this time. Then once the regional reserves have enough the price collapses. This time Europe is short on gas going into winter so it is having to bid up on LNG cargo that might otherwise go into the typically pricier Asian LNG market. There is limited LNG capacity. So with two economically strong continents bidding against each other for a relatively fixed supply, the price of LNG is soaring. In the EU gas producers are faced with a carbon tax near $3.23/mmBtu. The industry is claiming that this tax has discouraged local gas production in Europe. However, with Dutch TTF prices mostly above $10/mmBtu this year, surely the gas futures market saw this and producers balked at the opportunity. I tend to think that the complain with carbon tax along with perennial resistance to renewable energy is just convenient, self-serving spin. Of course, the gas industry complains against these things, but European gas producer have missed out on a major payday this year. That stupidity is on the industry.

As I've said before, natural gas is not performing like a reliable and cost effective bridge to a renewable future. Indeed, coal and fuel oil are easier fuels to stockpile to back up the economies of Asia and Europe. I'm not endorsing coal and oil, but just pointing out that when the gas supply proves overwhelmed as it is right now, coal and fuel oil are playing a backup role for the so-called bridge fuel. The way forward is to develop renewable energy reserves which include surplus RE generation, electrolyzers to consume the excess, and hydrogen and derivatives to store the excess. This sort of reserve capacity needs to first demonstrate that it can back up the grid to avoid using coal or fuel oil as a backup resource. RE reserve capacity won't come cheap, but as Europe and Asia continue to learn, natural gas capacity as a backup fuel doesn't come cheap either. If the globe need to spend another trillion USD on backup energy reserve capacity, why should this investment go primarily to natural gas infrastructure? Ultimately, we must build up RE reserve infrastructure so that we can wean off gas. So why not harden the RE supply directly? Natural gas is only a bridge to pay too much for gas when it is needed most, to stay stuck on natural gas as long as possible, and to delay experiences curve and scale efficiencies that ultimately make RE including reserve capacity cheaper than gas. Natural gas is a failure as a bridge fuel.