Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should 2015 85D still be on 2018.50.6?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Incidental to some MCU or communication problems I'm wondering if I should still be on the subject update from February. I see on Tesla Firmware Update Tracker that 2019.12.1.1 was widely distributed last month.

I'd definitely use the app to request a firmware upgrade. No need to worry, the latest update finally gives more control over updating. You should be getting 2019.16.1.1 as an Ap1 car.

How do I use the app -- do you mean the iPhone Tesla app? -- to request a firmware upgrade?

EDIT: OK, I see I can send a message to "Service" via the app. But the issue I'm having is that somewhere in the range of 5-20 minutes after a reboot, the car becomes incommunicado to the app. I'm wondering if this has prevented the firmware update. I've been using the app only to turn on HVAC, but I haven't done that for a few months due to the season.

How do I use the app -- do you mean the iPhone Tesla app? -- to request a firmware upgrade?

EDIT: OK, I see I can send a message to "Service" via the app. But the issue I'm having is that somewhere in the range of 5-20 minutes after a reboot, the car becomes incommunicado to the app. I'm wondering if this has prevented the firmware update. I've been using the app only to turn on HVAC, but I haven't done that for a few months due to the season.

Yes request service and list the reason as firmware update. They can remotely address any failed update and schedule you for another.

I’d call tech support and ask if they can check and see if they can tell any reason / problem that would be keeping your car on this version. The time I was in this situation they fixed something that resulted in my car redownloading a failed update. I’ve generally found I can get better results if I talk to a Real Person (tm).

Good luck,

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I’d call tech support and ask if they can check and see if they can tell any reason / problem that would be keeping your car on this version. The time I was in this situation they fixed something that resulted in my car redownloading a failed update. I’ve generally found I can get better results if I talk to a Real Person (tm).

Good luck,

Bruce.
I’d def call tech support as Bruce says. If you are this far behind, it’s likely your car is ‘stuck’ and they may be able to correct it remotely. By now you should be on 2019.12.x.

Good luck,

Bruce.

I've been unable to find a way to speak to a human, at least today -- Saturday.

About an hour after my most recent reply here, I got a notification on my phone: "Software update is complete." (There was no previous "available" message nor any action on my part.) So I went out to the car in my garage, started it, and touched the Tesla icon to see what the firmware version is. As soon as I touched it, the screen went black and it (after typical delay) rebooted. I tried again to see what the version was, and this time the info pop-up appeared showing 2018.50.6 (still), but after a few seconds it rebooted again. After it came back up, I didn't touch anything, and after several seconds it rebooted again. And then again. I exited the car, locked it with the key remote, and came in to post this. I'll go check on it after a while to see whether it remains in a continuous-reboot mode.

(The car is plugged in.)

Reactions: bz51
Remember user manual and release notes are all web site... you may need to wait a while. Some need to reboot for them to work as the web browser is flaky (shock, right?).

As for the reboot, as we always say, always reboot after a firmware load. Can’t hurt and often helps with issues left over from the load.

About an hour after my most recent reply here, I got a notification on my phone: "Software update is complete." (There was no previous "available" message nor any action on my part.) So I went out to the car in my garage, started it, and touched the Tesla icon to see what the firmware version is. As soon as I touched it, the screen went black and it (after typical delay) rebooted. I tried again to see what the version was, and this time the info pop-up appeared showing 2018.50.6 (still), but after a few seconds it rebooted again. After it came back up, I didn't touch anything, and after several seconds it rebooted again. And then again. I exited the car, locked it with the key remote, and came in to post this. I'll go check on it after a while to see whether it remains in a continuous-reboot mode.

(The car is plugged in.)
When the app came back with the ‘completed’ message, it should have had the new version at the bottom. That’s how I always tell what I got. Then I go to the car to reboot to be sure there are no lingering issues.

If you still haven’t gotten upgraded properly and haven’t gotten to talk to anyone try calling the main number and get to Roadside Assistance. They can tell you at least the schedule for software tech support. I did this once and weekdays it was 0800 (I’d called earlier trying to beat the rush). Not sure what weekends is. They have to have weekend coverage as that’s when most people have issues.

When the app came back with the ‘completed’ message, it should have had the new version at the bottom. That’s how I always tell what I got. Then I go to the car to reboot to be sure there are no lingering issues.

If you still haven’t gotten upgraded properly and haven’t gotten to talk to anyone try calling the main number and get to Roadside Assistance. They can tell you at least the schedule for software tech support. I did this once and weekdays it was 0800 (I’d called earlier trying to beat the rush). Not sure what weekends is. They have to have weekend coverage as that’s when most people have issues.

I suspect the "Software update complete" notification was merely another weird symptom of the MCU flakiness I've been experiencing for two days. As I said in my previous reply here, after that notification it was cycling through a series of pseudo-reboots. I now say "pseudo" as I could tell they weren't real because after the big Tesla logo appeared and the screen came back the WiFi-connected mini-icon at the top was right there, without the long time it takes to re-connect after a real reboot. Anyway, I managed to do a real reboot to stop the endless cycle of pseudo-reboots, and it's now back to where I was near the start of this thread (post #3).

As to software support, I'm skeptical that I'll be able to talk with anyone about that. My car is out of warranty. But I'll try to talk with Roadside Assistance. Meanwhile I have a Service Center appointment on Tuesday. I'm kind of nervous because I'm planning a 460-mile trip on Thursday.

Update: Just talked with Roadside. She put some notes about possible remote communications/update issues in my service center appointment record, and she said those are reviewed at the start of the workweek (tomorrow).

Last edited:
... the issue I'm having is that somewhere in the range of 5-20 minutes after a reboot, the car becomes incommunicado to the app. I'm wondering if this has prevented the firmware update. I've been using the app only to turn on HVAC, but I haven't done that for a few months due to the season.

About four hours ago I did a brake+control wheels reboot and then a Power Off "reboot." I hadn't done the latter previously during my recent travails. So far, so good: the iPhone app can still talk to the car. Roadside Assistance told me that a firmware update is staged for my car, so I expect to see that within a day or two.

Reactions: boaterva