Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's another thing from that piece. They did the sound test from headphones and not from the real source.

The maddening thing about this is that there hasn't been enough studies to show this has increased accident rates in any significant amount. Yet we are already going head on into this legislation. Many people say this is important for the life of the blind, but it hasn't been conclusively shown that it is a threat yet, esp since at the speeds discussed, the driver has enough time to react and stop. And I see plenty of people who said they have had "close calls" with hybrids, but none who say they have been hit.
Right,

Apparently there were 12 incidents last year were people said they did not hear a hybrid coming. Nothing on if they were blind, what the damages were and wheather they were wearing earbuds were distracted by other people or pets or if they are just doofuses.

Really great articles. Cool plate :cool:

j-marvin-campbell2.jpg

Off topic, but somehow feels related:
Driving While Blind? Maybe, With New High-Tech Car - AP

Could a blind person drive a car? Researchers are trying to make that far-fetched notion a reality.

The National Federation of the Blind and Virginia Tech plan to demonstrate a prototype vehicle next year equipped with technology that helps a blind person drive a car independently.

The technology, called "nonvisual interfaces," uses sensors to let a blind driver maneuver a car based on information transmitted to him about his surroundings: whether another car or object is nearby, in front of him or in a neighboring lane.

I wonder if the blind will get noise makers on their cars to keep pedestrians from getting in their way. And folks, it comes full circle...

Lotus's Safe and Sound project now re-branded Halosonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1CzoqEyACQ
Halosonic... as in halitosis??

In the video, it seemed people could notice that Prius (btw, NOT an EV) fine enough without that racket. The ambient noise was low enough. Plus, you could also hear the birds, resulting in what appeared to be a much more pleasant experience.

Last edited:
This is the worst thing ever done to a car1

Quiet country roads are now filled with unnecessary V12 sounds. Bicyclists should be required to do the same.

Every instance shown could have been handled with a pedestrian horn.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7115259.ece

Neil Butcher works for Arup and is the Project leader on this.

Let's hope he doesn't get drowned out.

Agreed. This and many other problems can and should be fixed by education.

When I drive my Roadster, I assume two things:
1) Other drivers can't see me (unusually low, fast accelerating: "appears out of nowhere")
2) Cyclists and pedestrians can't here me

I guess with great silent torque comes great responsibility!

Greetings,
David

Different approach

Old article from last year:

http://www.gizmag.com/volvo-s60-pedestrian-safety-system/13589/

The safety system, called Collision Warning with Full Auto Brake, can detect a pedestrian who steps out into the path of the car and, should the driver not respond quickly enough, automatically apply the car's full braking power.
"Up until now, we have focused on helping the driver avoid collisions with other vehicles. Now we are taking a giant step forward with a system that also boosts safety for unprotected road-users. New sensor technology also makes it possible to advance from 50 percent to full automatic braking power. To our knowledge, none of our competitors have made such progress in this area," explains Thomas Broberg, safety expert at Volvo Cars.

Avoid collisions at speeds below 20kmh
Many pedestrian incidents happen in busy cities during high traffic times when cars are traveling at relatively slow speeds.
"Our aim is that this new technology should help the driver avoid collisions with pedestrians at speeds below 20kmh. If the car is being driven faster, the aim is to reduce the impact speed as much as possible. In most cases, we can reduce the collision force by about 75 percent," says Thomas Broberg.

Does it have an option that says "I am a Dalek! I will destroy you! I will destroy you! Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!"... You know...

Chris
Heh... what is this, the Shary Bobbins version? If you're gonna make a nerd quote, at least get it right. "We are the Daleks. You will be exterminated. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

Ya know, it occured to me...

My car makes quite a bit of noise while charging in hot weather. When we have street parking with charging stations, and lots of EVs in use, will the streets be noisier? The noise won't be coming from the moving cars. It will be coming from the parked cars that are charging.

No one will be able to hear the moving ICE cars and EVs (even those with artificial sound) because the parked cars will drown them out.