Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Analysis of UK STATS19 database showed accidents with pedestrians are no more likely with electric / hybrid electric vehicles than conventional ones pro-rata to the numbers registered. Visually-impaired people listening to recordings found identifying electric or hybrid electric vehicles more difficult than conventional ones at low speeds and pull away. One of the four conventional vehicles tested was, however, equally quiet. Further analysis of STATS19 was recommended.
What's this?? Analysis of actual data???

Funny enough, I'm not afraid of accidents with pedestrians, I'm afraid of accidents with my cats. They like to hide under the car, and go away when they hear the engine running. With an electric car, I suspect they'll have a massive fear the first time they'll see the car move without noise.
I hope there will be no accident for the first month, after that they'll now to get out when someone enters the car.

I hope there will be no accident for the first month, after that they'll now to get out when someone enters the car.

We had a golf cart longer before the Roadster. Cats would move just fine when they saw it start moving. When the Roadster came in I had no cat visibility like in the taller GC so i would give a toot on the horn to warn them. After a few months I knew that they know when a car is moving and to get out of the way.
Partly because like you said they learn that you opening the door getting in and closing the door means that next step is the car moving (Daddy's leaving!) and also they are prey hunters and see motion very easliy. I still try to look around for them before moving and always start creeping slowly if they are not in my line of site but don't really worry about them anymore.

If they put a noise generator in the Model S, I'm taking some wire snippers to the speaker wire.

I expect they'll only do that if there's a law passed, and that law will probably make it illegal to disable the system. A better approach would be to find a very obscure place to stick in a resistor, so the thing still works but is quiet enough that it won't bother you. Of course you didn't hear that from me!

(This tip courtesy of an engineer friend who had young kids. Relatives kept giving them toys that made lots of annoying noise -- relatives of small kids take note -- so he would go in with a soldering iron and "neuter" them.)

We had a golf cart longer before the Roadster. Cats would move just fine when they saw it start moving. When the Roadster came in I had no cat visibility like in the taller GC so i would give a toot on the horn to warn them. After a few months I knew that they know when a car is moving and to get out of the way.
Partly because like you said they learn that you opening the door getting in and closing the door means that next step is the car moving (Daddy's leaving!) and also they are prey hunters and see motion very easliy. I still try to look around for them before moving and always start creeping slowly if they are not in my line of site but don't really worry about them anymore.
Thanks for the input, I feel safer. :smile: