Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it's not for drivers. It's supposed to be for blind pedestrians. Of course, a lot of newer cars are as quiet as EVs when not accelerating.

Whether or not the car has a noise maker is a legitimate question, and therefore relevant to this thread. Unless someone has a definite answer so that it's no longer an "unknown."

Blind people cross the road at pedestrian crossings (which usually have a signal tone when it's time to cross) when the traffic is stopped.

Seems to be confirmed by a couple of posts (albeit word of mouth) that there will be no noise makers pre-legislation.

The thing is, anybody who's so absorbed in their text-message conversation that they forget to look out for traffic before stepping off the curb, is going to do so whether there's a car there making noise or not. I've seen people step into traffic when there wasn't an electric car in sight. So a stupid Tron noise is going to get their attention? In the city, with all that noise? I don't think so.

So finally, something that makes sense for blind pedestrians: Footwear for the blind: Bluetooth shoes | The Economist

(In development.) The blue-tooth enabled shoes connect with the user's smartphone mapping system - and vibrations in each shoe guide the blind user towards their destination. Sensors in the toe pick up obstacles.

Dealing with moving obstacles like cars may take longer, though the pair are working on ways to alert wearers not just about cars' presence, but also their speed.

Mr Sharma opted for a vibrating signal because for the blind, who rely on their sense of hearing to make sense of the environment, audio feedback is a distraction.

So, instead of everyone having to listen to beeping cars, the people who actually need to KNOW about traffic could be quietly alerted. And alerted in such a way that it isn't a distraction.

Awesome.

Low-speed pedestrian alerts aren't required because, as the article points out, there is no rule yet implementing the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act. At this point, the earliest such a final rule could be implemented would be for the 2015 model year, so we have at least a couple of years of enjoying truly silent driving.

I would still strongly encourage Tesla to implement a "pedestrian horn" that the driver could use (manually) to alert pedestrians and bicyclists without resorting to the main horn.

It needs to be user modifiable (in 2015). That is, I want to be able to install the wav or mp3 file of the Jetsons car as my pedestrian alert audible.
No such luck. Here is a snippet from the scoping notice issued by US DOT:
The Pedestrian Safety Act mandates that the PEDSAFE standard shall not require the alert sound to be dependent on either driver or pedestrian activation. It also requires that the safety standard allow manufacturers to provide each vehicle with one or more alert sounds that comply, at the time of manufacture, with the safety standard. Each vehicle of the same make and model must emit the same alert sound or set of sounds. The standard is required to prohibit manufacturers from providing anyone, other than the manufacturer or dealers, with a device designed to disable, alter, replace or modify the alert sound or set of sounds emitted from the vehicle.

And to preempt contentions that modern ICE cars are nearly as quiet as EVs, the notice goes on to note:
Finally, the Pedestrian Safety Act requires NHTSA to conduct a study and report to Congress whether the agency believes that there is a safety need to require alert sounds for motor vehicles with internal combustion engines. The report must be submitted to Congress by January 4, 2015. If NHTSA determines that there is a safety need to require alert sounds for those motor vehicles the agency must initiate a rulemaking to require alert sounds for them.

There should be be a standardization of a driver activated pedestrian alert on the turn signal "pull for brights" switch. A small burp or muffled horn while the brights flash is a great idea and if all EVs had it there might be a good argument for giving the responsibility of pedestrian safety to the driver.

This is the thread on the EV lack of noise subject:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/1082-Auto-minimum-sound-level

After having my Model S for a few weeks I now disagree with the "no noise" position in one very important case: backing up.
People stand behind the car because they don't know its on and they won't move until you roll down the window and yell at them. It is really annoying.

As long as Tesla starts shipping their cars, when this goes into effect, with a pair of these I'll be fine:
plr-781_00.jpg