Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd call that a stretch. You really think people would be less likely to buy an EV simply because it made some noise at low speeds? You think the government is that prescient?

yes
I would hesitate if it made a noise at slow speeds
Government is SICK. I work for CA. It is sad what some people do for their own purposes. Imagine someone with big oil ties involved in the policies...

I'd call that a stretch. You really think people would be less likely to buy an EV simply because it made some noise at low speeds?

Yes, EV naysayers will make fun of this and that will stop some people from purchasing an EV.

You think the government is that prescient?

In this case the government is just a pawn of the lobbyists.

yes
I would hesitate if it made a noise at slow speeds
Government is SICK. I work for CA. It is sad what some people do for their own purposes. Imagine someone with big oil ties involved in the policies...

Yes, EV naysayers will make fun of this and that will stop some people from purchasing an EV.

In this case the government is just a pawn of the lobbyists.

And power hungry blind groups

You guys must not be very confident in the merits of EVs, if you think this proposed rule will discourage adoption. It's like saying that putting the nutrition information label on the carton will prevent people from buying milk. Most certainly the alcohol lobby was behind it?

Spare me the conspiracy theories. Earlier in the thread a Model S owner admits it is a problem when he tries to back out of parking spots. Most of us didn't forsee these types of problems. I think the rule is stupid too, but to say that "big oil" is pushing the law through the government is equally stupid. Of all the laws they could pass, THIS is the one that's going to break the back of EVs? I don't think so.

I'm sure the oil lobby is quite powerful, don't get me wrong. Instead of crying foul all the time, maybe the EV people should get a better lobby.

You guys must not be very confident in the merits of EVs, if you think this proposed rule will discourage adoption.

There are some folks who are very concerned about what the neighbours think and if they are on the fence something like that will push them over. Yes, they're in the minority but there are some.

I beleive that if there is really a safety issue here then there it should be measured as a safety issue so any vehicle below a specified decibel level at a specified speed is required to have a noise alert. That would may put Lexus a few others in that category or at least justify testing them. To say a noise level only applies to EV's and hybrids is bias and may be open to legal challenge

I beleive that if there is really a safety issue here then there it should be measured as a safety issue so any vehicle below a specified decibel level at a specified speed is required to have a noise alert. That would may put Lexus a few others in that category or at least justify testing them. To say a noise level only applies to EV's and hybrids is bias and may be open to legal challenge

I agree that it should be applied equally to all cars but that should be a last resort.

The responsibility is with the EV or hybrid driver. There are 600 million cars on the roads in the US. If they were all EVs that means that every city with towering canyons of buildings, every suburban intersection and every rush hour traffic jam would not be blissfully silent but be making unnecessary noise fully defeating part of the reason that EVs are even beneficial. Might as well leave up those sound walls and forget quiet motoring through nature.

Mandated ev noise

I believe you should be able to record whatever noise you want. For myself I would use the most annoying noise I could (so everyone would be sure to notice it). I think it would be the stuttering noise a gas car makes when you turn off the ignition and it continues to run irregularly. I also believe that bicycles should also be mandated to make noise as well

New "NOISE" ordinance - what do we do now?

Well, Big Brother has decided that we are too quiet, and under 18 mph we need to broadcast some external sound. Will Tesla (and other impacted manufacturers) be helping us to refit our vehicles?

There's one very specific case in which I would support a noisemaker-type device for EVs or hybrids, and that's when they are moved out of Park, or have remained still for some time (5 or 10 minutes perhaps) and just start to move again.

We're so conditioned to detect the sound of a starting engine, in a parking lot or garage for example, that I think this sound (more than the sound of the engine actually running) serves as a valuable audible indicator -- "this vehicle is about to go somewhere, so you should make sure you aren't in its way". I know with my one experience inside a Tesla store, that I was pretty surprised to see the demo car 'parked' next to the one I was looking at suddenly start moving.

In terms of the below-18mph-type rules, if you want a noisemaker for quiet vehicles at all times, then (as has been stated in this extensive thread several times) make the rule apply to ALL quiet vehicles, not just those of a specific technology. Pull out the dB-meter and be consistent about it.