Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would also think that a pedestrian noise maker would require additional hardware (e.g. an external speaker) that the Model S does not have. So the wire clippers are key. However, and depending on your jurisdiction, it may be an inspectable portion of your state yearly. Maybe a quick disconnect or a switch is an idea.

The friendliest sound might be the baseball cards (our dups) that we clipped onto fender supports with clothespins to flip against the spokes of our bikes. Being speed related it broadcast two separate info streams to the pedestrian.
--

I would also think that a pedestrian noise maker would require additional hardware (e.g. an external speaker) that the Model S does not have. So the wire clippers are key.

I think it would be rather hard to make enough noise with wire clippers--unless they are much larger than the kind shown in an earlier post.

It doesn't matter how much noise you make, they're not going to hear it over their iPod earbuds. This law is all about making EVs look silly while disguising it as safety.

I'm with Lloyd (and others), it is not needed. Quite honestly this is one of the biggest features of this car, silence... Not so you can sneak up and hit someone, but find some peace in this noise and smog polluted world.

Quite honestly mandating this, borders on deal breaking for me. We must stop legislation on this from ever seeing the light of day. Ugh.

Cars don't kill people, people do.

It's funny how the law only applies to hybrids and EVs. If this were truly a concern then every car would need to be measured to find out how much sound it emitted at a certain speed and if it wasn't loud enough, the noise maker would be added. Some of the new ICEs are almost silent at low speeds. Any car is silent if you're wearing headphones and blasting music while walking.