Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Far too many immature ideas . . . why not a toilet flushing, dog barking, or the sound of fingernails on the chalkboard.

There ought to be a sound that keeps the public safe. I am horrified at the idea of hitting a visually impaired person who might step off the curb in front of me. I think that young children are also apt to be significantly at risk. A very traditional automotive sound makes the most sense . . . but I still think that a locomotive or TIE fighter sound would get a lot of attention.

The problem is like so many ideas is that it just does not scale. One car on a quiet road making noise when the driver could be silently cruising along listening to the birds and wind is one thing, but a traffic jam with every car making a cacophany of artificial flushes, cartoon soundtrax, and hip hop requiring giant soundwalls to be built making the freeways a large scale mouse maze is not the answer. Personal responsibility is. There are 600million cars on the US roads. They could all be silent if they were EVs.

We had a EV rally in Sant Monica. 170 EVs cruised down the blvd without a sound. Motorcycles, trucks and cars were silnt. You could talk with people conversationally on the side of the road. It was wonderful. Except the one Fisker with it's tron sound. Lame.

The problem is like so many ideas is that it just does not scale. ... a traffic jam with every car making a cacophany of artificial flushes, cartoon soundtrax, and hip hop requiring giant soundwalls to be built making the freeways a large scale mouse maze is not the answer.
With all the technology that we have today, you would think that low-speed sound production could be automatically turned off when on limited-access highways. Not many children are chasing their bouncing balls across I-95 at rush hour.

The federal law is quite clear that the low-speed sound has to be recognizable as a vehicle--so no bird-chirp, toilet-flush, what-have-y0u sounds. I like the horse-hoof idea, though! In any case, I'm thrilled that this statute doesn't take effect until 2014, so there should be 25,000 silent Model Ss out there to make the case that noise is not needed.

I'm thrilled that this statute doesn't take effect until 2014, so there should be 25,000 silent Model Ss out there to make the case that noise is not needed.
I sense a scientific experiment. Once mandated we can retrospectively see which group, silent S or sounded S, have more serious low-speed accidents.
Then to go prospectively, maybe every other car can get the sound generators and then we can follow those sub group?

I sense a scientific experiment. Once mandated we can retrospectively see which group, silent S or sounded S, have more serious low-speed accidents.
Then to go prospectively, maybe every other car can get the sound generators and then we can follow those sub group?
I really like the idea of research driving decision making! I also wonder if the sound might be off on highways on automatically turned on in residential areas.

My expectation is that it will be like the Prius: If anyone gets hit by one it will be because the Prius is supposedly "quiet" while if you get hit by an even quieter Lexus, it's assumed the pedestrian wasn't paying attention. The old double-standard based on pre-concieved notions.

So is there a realistic engine noise maker product out there?
One that will respond to throttle blips, under load acceleration, over run, idle burble etc?
A basic simulation could be done with an inertial sensor, for the blips and other effects need throttle position data too.
We're thinking of converting a muscle car to electric, so it would be nice to capture the actual sounds of the old gasser and have the choice to play the sounds or not, loud or quiet.