Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should EVs Make Artificial Sounds at Low Speeds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe it is already set to be law in 2015 unless someone changes it.

How much you wanna bet there were ICE people behind the scenes funding the Bill?

- - - Updated - - -

Well... after hearing that Tesla drive away absolutely dead silent i now dislike the noise maker on my ED lol wish it could be disabled.
What does it sound like? Anyone got a link to sound file or video? I'm curious...

How much you wanna bet there were ICE people behind the scenes funding the Bill?

Seeing as how about 1:100,000 is an "EV person" your bet is too one-sided. Who with an EV would advocate adding noise unless one is so vain as to want an "I'm an EV, I'm an EV, I'm superior" indicator?

When this nonsense first started I spent some time listening in urban parking lots I frequent. There are many conventional ICE vehicles whose only noise signature is the sound of tires on the pavement. Especially when in an urban environment which doesn't seem loud until you stop and pay attention.

As has been discussed a driver activated sound would be a nice feature. A horn is too obnoxious but when backing out of a parking space I'd like to be able to make some noise occasionally. As it is I really have to creep out slowly if I'm parked between two larger SUVs, people can't see or hear me.

Are people actually being hit and injured by EV's because they are too quiet, or is this some kind of pre-emptive strike they are trying to do?

This is basically another attempt to make non-traditional cars seem stupid to the average car buyer. If it was about safety, then every car that made less than a certain amount of engine noise would be included. The problems with this kind of noisy legislation are:

1. Pedestrians that aren't aware of their surroundings--iPod, talking, or just spaced out--aren't going notice anything less than a 130 dB air horn.

2. Once the number of noisy cars gets to a certain amount, people will ignore the noise in the same way the ignore auto alarms.

This is basically another attempt to make non-traditional cars seem stupid to the average car buyer. If it was about safety, then every car that made less than a certain amount of engine noise would be included. The problems with this kind of noisy legislation are:

1. Pedestrians that aren't aware of their surroundings--iPod, talking, or just spaced out--aren't going notice anything less than a 130 dB air horn.

2. Once the number of noisy cars gets to a certain amount, people will ignore the noise in the same way the ignore auto alarms.

I tend to agree. It seems any negative they can find about EVs gets blow out of proportion.

did I ever post this here?
my solution to all the people who don't watch where they are going.(and I don't want to scare the crap out of them with the horn :tongue:)

I plan on redoing the striker so it is a little louder. Humboldt is pretty quiet but the Bay Area is so noisy you might as well just use a horn

Last edited by a moderator:
This week I was in a supermarket parking lot and wished the Model S had the capability of making a low key warning noise because someone was standing in the empty space I wanted, with her back to me, talking to her friend who was apparently already in the car. They couldn't hear me, of course. A honk seemed like overkill, so I just waited about 10 seconds and then she got in the car. She never realized I was just 10 ft. away from her, as I pulled into the space she was in he passenger seat and had her head turned away from me, still talking...

Last edited:
The solution when you need noise is to use your voice. This is the same one I use as a cyclist by default. I have a bell and horn on some of my bikes, the horn is for real attention, the bell is to deal with situations like large charity rides where the organizers want you to announce every pass.

The great thing about EVs is that we can choose whether or not they make noise. Personally I want someone to hire a high quality chorus to make a soundtrack of them all saying/singing "vroom vroom vroom" in a sonorous manner, and have the ability to play that whenever I want to. I think it would be a beautiful counterpoint to the mechanistic nature of engine noise.