Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Be Concerned Buying A New 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SInce it's a 2018 build, you'll get 2018 hardware in the car that 2020's don't come with. They were mentioned above:

- Homelink module installed (and since it's an LR, will have Homelink software included)
- Dimming side mirrors
- Leather steering wheel
- All charging adapters

The VIN is late enough (13xxxx) that you will NOT have the items some of the early models had like the harder seats, the older glass roof coating, stiffer suspension, etc.

What you do need to keep in mind and check carefully is that it also sounds like the software and option package will be packaged like a 2020:

- Pay-per-use supercharging (if this car had been sold in 2018, it could have had lifetime free supercharging)
- Pay monthly for premium connectivity after the 1st year, which includes real-time traffic, TuneIn, etc. (If sold in 2018, this would have been free for lifetime).
- Standard AP, or you might add FSD at the $8K price. (If sold in 2018, would have had no AP, EAP for $4K, or FSD for $7K).

One further item to keep in mind that cannot be changed is that the battery has 2 years of time on it, even though it has almost no cycles on it. Normally the battery warranty is 8 years or 120,000 miles, but at your 8-year ownership point, the battery will be 10 years old. I do not know exactly how the additional 2 years will affect the battery retention that far out, but it's something to keep in mind. If the car was indeed a showroom car, then it was kept in a climate-controlled area and temperature aging effects on the battery should be minimal.

Assuming the car is sold as "New" in the legal sense and you have full warranty that applies from the date of purchase, then I think it's a great deal.

This is a good list (and an informative post) but as I think was mentioned already a couple of those things you mention didnt come on 2018s later in the year.

For example, my vin on my 2018 Model 3P is also 130,XXX. Manufacturer date on my car is November 7th 2018. My car did not come with "premium connectivity for life". I am fairly sure that promotion ended at the end of third quarter 2018. The "free supercharging for life" promo also ended somewhere around 3rd quarter 2018.

My own late 2018 Model 3P has been very reliable, although I have been to service a decent number of times. All my trips to service have been either to get rims and tires replaced (as I have mentioned before, I have had horrible luck with rims and tires on this car, so have bought a total of 4 tires and 3 rims since I have owned it), or getting things that were supposed to come with my car, but didnt (4 attempts to get a spoiler that would stay on the car properly), or, HW 3 upgrade that I paid for.

No real issue with the car. I think late 2018 is fine. I just would still wonder how things like "the wheels getting scuffed" would happen on a car with 21 miles.

OP, there is a lot of speculation here about "why the car could be there". Did you ask tesla for the service history, and if the car will be sold as NEW or USED on all registration paperwork?

This is a good list (and an informative post) but as I think was mentioned already a couple of those things you mention didnt come on 2018s later in the year.

For example, my vin on my 2018 Model 3P is also 130,XXX. Manufacturer date on my car is November 7th 2018. My car did not come with "premium connectivity for life". I am fairly sure that promotion ended at the end of third quarter 2018. The "free supercharging for life" promo also ended somewhere around 3rd quarter 2018.

My own late 2018 Model 3P has been very reliable, although I have been to service a decent number of times. All my trips to service have been either to get rims and tires replaced (as I have mentioned before, I have had horrible luck with rims and tires on this car, so have bought a total of 4 tires and 3 rims since I have owned it), or getting things that were supposed to come with my car, but didnt (4 attempts to get a spoiler that would stay on the car properly), or, HW 3 upgrade that I paid for.

No real issue with the car. I think late 2018 is fine. I just would still wonder how things like "the wheels getting scuffed" would happen on a car with 21 miles.

OP, there is a lot of speculation here about "why the car could be there". Did you ask tesla for the service history, and if the car will be sold as NEW or USED on all registration paperwork?
It will be sold as new. I plan on going to the service center to get the service history on the car.

It will be sold as new. I plan on going to the service center to get the service history on the car.

Will they give you that on a car you dont own yet (service history, from the service center)? Cant the salesperson (or whatever tesla calls them) get that information for you without a trip to a service center? I would be surprised if a service center will give you service history on a car you dont own yet. Maybe they do for tesla owned vehicles? I really dont know, but would hate for you to take a trip there to be told "sorry we dont provide service history on cars not owned by the person asking".

Tesla is the only car company I know that could “lose” a car in it’s system only to rediscover it’s still available two years later. And then once they discover it, nobody has any idea why it sat around for two years and what it was doing during that time.

You did a thorough cosmetic inspection and the car does come with a warranty. So I think you will be fine. Two things I would confirm with Tesla before you give them any money:

1) Confirm the warranty begins on the day you take delivery.
2) Confirm the car has basic auto pilot included. I only say this because in 2018 there was no “basic autopilot”. It was Enhanced Auto Pilot for $5K. There is no reason they could not add basic autopilot now but it’s seems odd to me that the quote you posted states it was included on a 2018 vehicle. As long as you get it in writing on the purchase agreement you should be fine.

Tesla is the only car company I know that could “lose” a car in it’s system only to rediscover it’s still available two years later. And then once they discover it, nobody has any idea why it sat around for two years and what it was doing during that time.

You did a thorough cosmetic inspection and the car does come with a warranty. So I think you will be fine. Two things I would confirm with Tesla before you give them any money:

1) Confirm the warranty begins on the day you take delivery.
2) Confirm the car has basic auto pilot included. I only say this because in 2018 there was no “basic autopilot”. It was Enhanced Auto Pilot for $5K. There is no reason they could not add basic autopilot now but it’s seems odd to me that the quote you posted states it was included on a 2018 vehicle. As long as you get it in writing on the purchase agreement you should be fine.
I appreciate your insight. I did check to see if there's auto pilot. The menu on the panel section has autopilot and it allows me to change the config. Not sure if it that confirms that I have auto pilot. I will make sure to ask when the warranty begins. Hope it begins when I accept the delivery.

Congrats on the great deal. Make sure with the dealer that it is in fact clean title, no major repairs, etc. They should disclose any thing that potentially impacts the value. If your car didn't have autopilot, then the savings is not great but since it does have AP you are getting a great buy. As for all the minor issues, Tesla should fix all of them since you are not buying a used car...it's new so should be delivered as such even if it's a 2018 model. Ask to get all the deficiencies addressed.

I agree that it is a good deal and I think I would jump on it too.
There is one aspect that you should however consider and that is depreciation.
If you were to trade the car in or sell it in six months, it would be valued as a low mileage 2018 model, i.e. 3 model years old despite it being only 1/2 year old. This is where you will give back some of the savings you receive now.
If you intend to keep the car for a very long time, the magnitude of this accelerated depreciation will be minimized.

Hey all,

I pulled the trigger despite the car having a few minor defects/scratches, seat wear, dead bugs in the car (which was cleaned up after I pointed it out), and the sun visor clip is missing. You know the saying, you get what you paid for. I can't complain since im saving ~$7600. I'm happy overall and will take it to the service department to get the visor clip (whatever it's called) replaced.

Here are a few pics I took when I accepted the delivery. Yeah the CX-5 is my gas car and I'm trying to get rid of it.

Many thanks TMC crew! I'm happy to be a part of the Tesla Model 3 family!

Edit: turns out the car is a previous service/demo vehicle.

20200726_145545.jpg
20200726_145521.jpg
20200726_145553.jpg
20200727_161019.jpg
20200727_163446.jpg
20200727_163431.jpg
20200727_163503.jpg

Question. How do I check the warranty on my car?

Last edited:
Hey all,

I pulled the trigger despite the car having a few minor defects/scratches, seat wear, dead bugs in the car (which was cleaned up after I pointed it out), and the sun visor clip is missing. You know the saying, you get what you paid for. I can't complain since im saving ~$7600. I'm happy overall and will take it to the service department to get the visor clip (whatever it's called) replaced.

Here are a few pics I took when I accepted the delivery. Yeah the CX-5 is my gas car and I'm trying to get rid of it.

View attachment 569686 View attachment 569687 View attachment 569688 View attachment 569689 View attachment 569690 View attachment 569691 View attachment 569692

Congratulations. I was not able to see the pictures.

The warranty start date should be in your vehicle sales agreement. If the car was sold as new the start date should be today but the agreement should confirm it.

• Love
Reactions: Makulit
Hey all,

Congratulations! That really is a beautiful car. The worst of it really seems to be that missing sun visor clip, but that's a *very* common broken part... just a few dollars if you actually had to pay for it (and the service center will take care of it, so that doesn't matter!)

Really fantastic deal... you're going to love this car. And the couple of very minor scratches; at least you don't have to have that "I'm-mad-at-myself" moment the first time you put a little scratch or door ding in the car... consider it a value-add service from Tesla; pre scratched to avoid that disappointment!

All seriousness - it's a great ride and may you have many many enjoyable years driving it.

• Love
Hey all,

Edit: turns out the car is a previous service/demo vehicle.

View attachment 569686 View attachment 569687 View attachment 569688 View attachment 569689 View attachment 569690 View attachment 569691 View attachment 569692

If you didn't get pictures of the vehicle before hand showing the issues, they should be fixing all those issues