Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be upset about receiving a 2018 car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was initially matched to a 2018 model marked as (New - Previous service/demo vehicle) and I rejected it for a 2019 model based on the time I've already had to wait. Hoping to hear back from my DA soon about this matching.

What build are you getting??

How does the process of rejecting work? Just curious how that part of the process works.

Thanks!!

You just tell them you don't want a 2018 and you'll wait for a 2019. I did this three weeks ago and still waiting to be matched to my 2019.

As Dangaroo said, you just need to tell your DA that you want a 2019 model. For my case, my DA made a note in the system to make sure it gets matched to a 2019 model next time. My build is a Blue Model 3 Performance Black Interior.

I was also offered a 2018. Initially told it was a late December build but when I requested the details I saw it was actually a November build. Also not the same specs that I wanted. So I emailed the two Sales guys and DA that I was working with that I was rejecting this offer and waiting for a 2019. Have not received ONE response from any of them to confirm. Total radio silence.

While I’m not surprised because I’ve dealt with Tesla in the past and know how truly horrendous their customer “service” is...I have to admit it’s still infuriating. And my account page is still saying “prepare for March 6 delivery”. Ha.

I was also offered a 2018. Initially told it was a late December build but when I requested the details I saw it was actually a November build. Also not the same specs that I wanted. So I emailed the two Sales guys and DA that I was working with that I was rejecting this offer and waiting for a 2019. Have not received ONE response from any of them to confirm. Total radio silence.

While I’m not surprised because I’ve dealt with Tesla in the past and know how truly horrendous their customer “service” is...I have to admit it’s still infuriating. And my account page is still saying “prepare for March 6 delivery”. Ha.

Just curious, did they offer you any discount or other concession for the 2018 model?

Yikes, that sounds annoying. The worst part is when they don't respond. I can completely relate to that sentiment.

Today I went into my account and clicked on "Edit Design". I reconfigured the car just like I originally ordered. But this changed the pricing to the newly announced options! When I saved it I received an email from Tesla reflecting the new pricing! I have not received my VIN prior to doing this, however...

Really interested in hearing when folks who refused 2018 models get their VINs and then delivery scheduled.

Obviously the delivery estimates on the website are based on matching to 2018 inventory... So curious what delivery times are for 2019 models...

Really interested in hearing when folks who refused 2018 models get their VINs and then delivery scheduled.

Obviously the delivery estimates on the website are based on matching to 2018 inventory... So curious what delivery times are for 2019 models...

My DA said that the delivery estimator updating was new to them as well. But that he would say 4-6 weeks to delivery. I'm hoping it's sooner, but I heard that US production is separate from Canada production, can anyone confirm the validity of that?

Just to share my experience—I ordered an AWD M3 last Thursday post-announcement, didn’t hear from Tesla so called them Sunday just to check in. They said “oh you already have a VIN” (it still isn’t reflected in my account), and emailed it to me. The VIN is a ‘18 build, so I expected to ask for a discount or upgrade when I spoke with the Delivery guy today. Before I even spoke he said, “Scratch that VIN the guy gave you yesterday, we were able to get you a ‘19 build.”

So basically I’m happy, but it sounds like it’s anyones guess what you’ll get mates up with.

Just to share my experience—I ordered an AWD M3 last Thursday post-announcement, didn’t hear from Tesla so called them Sunday just to check in. They said “oh you already have a VIN” (it still isn’t reflected in my account), and emailed it to me. The VIN is a ‘18 build, so I expected to ask for a discount or upgrade when I spoke with the Delivery guy today. Before I even spoke he said, “Scratch that VIN the guy gave you yesterday, we were able to get you a ‘19 build.”

So basically I’m happy, but it sounds like it’s anyones guess what you’ll get mates up with.

That sounds like an ideal situation, may I ask where you're located?

I test drove a Model 3 LR AWD last week and have a test drive of a Performance model this weekend. The test drive was incredible. I expect to order one or the other next week. The website indicates a 2 week delivery, which I assume means I will likely be offered a 2018 build.

We keep our cars a long time, so the lack of a 2019 build doesn't bother me too much, but I would like to have a reasonable "ask" for taking a 2018 build. If I order a LR AWD, do you believe it is reasonable to request a free upgrade to the 19" Sport Wheels? Alternatively, should I just ask that they waive (or zero out) the delivery charge?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

(Long time listener, first time caller.)

We keep our cars a long time, so the lack of a 2019 build doesn't bother me too much, but I would like to have a reasonable "ask" for taking a 2018 build. If I order a LR AWD, do you believe it is reasonable to request a free upgrade to the 19" Sport Wheels? Alternatively, should I just ask that they waive (or zero out) the delivery charge?

Pretty sure they won't waive delivery charge. I personally think you should wait for a recent build. Presumably, a recent build might have the HW3 computer that the 2018 wouldn't have. That will be more important in the long run. Now, if you order FSD, my understanding is even if you get a 2018 they would upgrade the computer at no charge to you....so that might be a moot point (if you plan on getting FSD).

Thanks for the prompt response. I was planning to purchase FSD since it now includes Nav on AP and Auto Lane Change, among other things, which I want.

Is there something else I could request that they are likely to give?