Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I be worried looking at this graph ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is that possible to reverse deg, or just within margin of error?

It should be taken with a grain of salt.

The long story is, among other things,
- The app Scan My Tesla (both Android and just recently also IOS for the record) mostly just reports numbers directly from the car. Some calculations are in-app from a mix of different values from the car, some are based on assumptions, and I try to explain the inaccuracies/shortcomings where they are known
- The 'degradation' is still experimental, it is based off a number the car reports as 'full pack capacity when new' (only model 3/Y reports this) compared to 'nominal full pack'. It seems all cars with a certain battery size reports the exact same number. So we must acknowledge that while all batteries are (probably) slightly different, this number is not, and will show different % of degradation depending on your actual battery capacity.
- All batteries degrade, both over time, charge cycles, charge/discharge speeds and temperatures. Compare this to ICE cars, Top Gear once did a thing where they measured vintage supercars on the dyno, they were pretty disappointed. But most people don't know it.
- The most important takeaway is not the degradation % number, but the actual 'nominal full pack' number, seeing how much that jumps up and down from day to day, realize it's not your battery getting better or worse, it's the car electronics adjusting it's 'best guess' while constantly surveying all parameters of the battery. It is a tough subject, and never accurate until you actually emptied it all the way to dead. The slow degradation over time however is probably statistically accurate. This can also be observed by looking at the reported range, like TeslaFi, Teslalogger and Tesla Core does with the web API numbers.

You have to decide for yourself, does it make you lie awake at night knowing, or does it help you sleep tighter knowing. You can always take the blue pill :) Your journey starts with the app, then you dive in to the rabbit hole of Coloumb counting, BMS technology, cell balancing, electric motor technology and efficiency, cooling, hvac and heat scavenging etc etc etc.

And remember, it's not just the battery, you get power, torque numbers, accelleration, HVAC, temperature control stats, 12V systems etc. And there is a lot more to come, the IOS version is just 3 weeks old and the Android app is in beta with the same dashboards and visualizations, with lots more to come.

So many people are guessing, thinking, dreaming page up and down in the forums. Well Scan My Tesla can give you some hard numbers (or sometimes fuzzy numbers) to help understand, but at least we get numbers. And lots of them.

There is so much cool stuff going on under the hood of Teslas, join the party to see what's happening!

Not sure how this comes across, I apologize if it looks like a giant sales pitch. Just trying to share my enthusiasm for the car technology, and the app that can help us understand slightly more about what's going on! And thanks for the support Msjulie!

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie and KenC

- The app Scan My Tesla (both Android and just recently also IOS for the record) mostly just reports numbers directly from the car. Some calculations are in-app from a mix of different values from the car, some are based on assumptions, and I try to explain the inaccuracies/shortcomings where they are known
- The 'degradation' is still experimental, it is based off a number the car reports as 'full pack capacity when new' (only model 3/Y reports this) compared to 'nominal full pack'. It seems all cars with a certain battery size reports the exact same number. So we must acknowledge that while all batteries are (probably) slightly different, this number is not, and will show different % of degradation depending on your actual battery capacity.
- All batteries degrade, both over time, charge cycles, charge/discharge speeds and temperatures. Compare this to ICE cars, Top Gear once did a thing where they measured vintage supercars on the dyno, they were pretty disappointed. But most people don't know it.
- The most important takeaway is not the degradation % number, but the actual 'nominal full pack' number, seeing how much that jumps up and down from day to day, realize it's not your battery getting better or worse, it's the car electronics adjusting it's 'best guess' while constantly surveying all parameters of the battery. It is a tough subject, and never accurate until you actually emptied it all the way to dead. The slow degradation over time however is probably statistically accurate. This can also be observed by looking at the reported range, like TeslaFi, Teslalogger and Tesla Core does with the web API numbers.

You have to decide for yourself, does it make you lie awake at night knowing, or does it help you sleep tighter knowing. You can always take the blue pill :) Your journey starts with the app, then you dive in to the rabbit hole of Coloumb counting, BMS technology, cell balancing, electric motor technology and efficiency, cooling, hvac and heat scavenging etc etc etc.

And remember, it's not just the battery, you get power, torque numbers, accelleration, HVAC, temperature control stats, 12V systems etc. And there is a lot more to come, the IOS version is just 3 weeks old and the Android app is in beta with the same dashboards and visualizations, with lots more to come.

So many people are guessing, thinking, dreaming page up and down in the forums. Well Scan My Tesla can give you some hard numbers (or sometimes fuzzy numbers) to help understand, but at least we get numbers. And lots of them.

There is so much cool stuff going on under the hood of Teslas, join the party to see what's happening!

Not sure how this comes across, I apologize if it looks like a giant sales pitch. Just trying to share my enthusiasm for the car technology, and the app that can help us understand slightly more about what's going on! And thanks for the support Msjulie!

Its a great post. I think its great that you specifically call out the following, which people who use this and other apps seem to ignore:

=================
The 'degradation' is still experimental, it is based off a number the car reports as 'full pack capacity when new' (only model 3/Y reports this) compared to 'nominal full pack'. It seems all cars with a certain battery size reports the exact same number. So we must acknowledge that while all batteries are (probably) slightly different, this number is not, and will show different % of degradation depending on your actual battery capacity.

Its a great post. I think its great that you specifically call out the following, which people who use this and other apps seem to ignore:

=================
The 'degradation' is still experimental, it is based off a number the car reports as 'full pack capacity when new' (only model 3/Y reports this) compared to 'nominal full pack'. It seems all cars with a certain battery size reports the exact same number. So we must acknowledge that while all batteries are (probably) slightly different, this number is not, and will show different % of degradation depending on your actual battery capacity.

I wouldn't say ignore, because I haven't had the time to explain it properly yet. The app should have a lot more help texts and explanations, and I hope to get there, but for now, this forum post is what I can do right now :)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and jjrandorin
My car is the exact same age as yours although I have closer to 15k miles. And I've seen very similar loss. At about 10k miles it got as low as 290 but recently (after a couple near complete discharges) has crept back up to between 295-300.

Appreciate the long answer. I am exactly the type of person that loves having all the data, and understand the imperfect nature of it. As soon as I find some time, I'll get the hardware, and get the app.