Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Buy a Tesla Model S as as my First Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cheapest you can buy a new Model S is $63,570 (and that includes the $7500 federal rebate). You don't get a rebate on a used car.

Being that you just graduated HS, do you have $7500 in federal tax liability? Otherwise you don't get it all.
Not sure on your financial status but buying an expensive car is a terrible financial decision. And most 18-19 year olds aren't in the greatest financial position.

But as for driving it, it is an easy, albeit very large, car to drive.

Yes.. It's safe, and the future is electric vehicles. The fact that this question comes forward means Tesla and Elon have succeeded in marketing ev's to a generation that will buy at least 4 more cars (likely ev) in their lifetime

Agree. Unless you have a large trust fund not the best idea. If you have to borrow any money at all to buy a car like this at your age not a great idea. Better to get your first job out of college and save up funds to buy the car of your dreams. They Model S will also likely have a bigger battery pack and many more features by that point. Shoot for a 2020 model or so. Set your goal and save up for it.

Agree. Unless you have a large trust fund not the best idea. If you have to borrow any money at all to buy a car like this at your age not a great idea. Better to get your first job out of college and save up funds to buy the car of your dreams. They Model S will also likely have a bigger battery pack and many more features by that point. Shoot for a 2020 model or so. Set your goal and save up for it.
Agreed. Don't blow $65K on a car at age 18. Get a solid used car and use the rest to help pay for college.

For now, money is not a problem at all.. I just want to know your opinion.

smile.gif

Hello TinaisTina:

Drive one and see if you like it. If you like it and you have the money, then definitely go for it. I will assume you are a young woman so let me give you some arguments for you to get a Tesla, in case you need to persuade your parents or others in your family.

1. It's the safest car on the road by a big margin. I personally think of my Tesla as life insurance that might pay off for me or my passengers. Yes, you are worth it.
2. Our biology has made us naturally afraid of snakes, but we have no natural fear of cars. Yet snakes kill about five people every year in the United States, while motor vehicles (mostly cars) killed over 32,000 people in 2011 the most recent year cited below. In my opinion, it makes sense to spend extra money to minimize the risk of being killed in a car.

List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of fatal snake bites in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are ways of structuring your purchase so that someone in your family gets the Federal tax credit if you don't need it. See your tax adviser for details.

Mostly I would like to see you in a Tesla for safety reasons. But you also are a leader among your friends (and perhaps others too). If they see you buying a cool car that doesn't have any emissions they will be more likely to follow and you will have done something very good for the air we breathe. So go for it, be a leader.

I suggest that you get a Model S with the 85 kW battery pack, the tech package, and essentially no other options. You definitely don't need the P version or the P+ version, a plain 85 kW Model S is still faster than almost anything your friends are likely to be driving.

You may want to share how you think you would drive your Tesla and ask others for their recommendations on options.

I say, go for it!

I see no downside if money is not an issue, other than you will not want to go drive a ICE car after you have owned the Model S. Life is too short even for a person your age. Just do it if you can.

- - - Updated - - -

surprisingly (or not?) there are quite a few high school kids in the bay area driving model S'

safest car there is, but it is a large car

I saw a young lady, not sure of her age but she does not look like she's more than 20, driving a red MS sometimes ago. I was considering buying a red one and not sure the one I saw was MC red or Sig red. She happened to be stopped at the light next to me so I asked her about that. Her answer was "I don't know my dad gave me this". I thought that was pretty funny.

Yes it is a large car but I do remember how large my first car (Pontiac Executive) was.

Although it is an excellent car, I would not recommend it as a first car. First, it's very large, so it will be harder to park and maneuver around, esp. if you are in NYC. It will be harder to find a place to charge, probably a pain you don't want to deal with. Most everyone has a few scrapes and problems when they get their first car, perhaps running out of gas (I know I did :-0). The tesla makes that a little different but it can still be a problem.

It's very fast, almost dangerously fast - people will want to race you at stop lights. That's a dangerous thing to have, especially when you don't feel your mortality. It's the most advanced car in the world in many ways, so if you start with this your next car will be a step down.

If you have money to burn, I'd start with a smaller awd SUV.