Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I buy now or wait for 2019 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As was already mentioned in this thread, if you are always waiting for the next big thing (or even small upgrade), then you will never get the car. There's always something bigger, better, cooler coming out in the "near" future. If you like what you currently see, buy it and don't look back. Just remember that if you commit to it, commit and be happy. Buyer's remorse could be strong at this cost point if you have regrets.

I bought one now because I figured I'd have even MORE time to enjoy it now and if I love it years from now, I'll buy whatever is latest and greatest then.

buy it now, and get the $7500 tax credit. im not impressed with the renderings. its basically a carbon copy of the model 3, which is good for the model 3, not so much for the flagship models.

I seriously doubt that Tesla will end up building something much like those sketches. The big horizontal screen I can see, especially once level 3 or higher FSD is available, but I'm not convinced about the rest of it.

Wait. For high-end vehicles the annual cost is so high that $7,500, let alone $3,750 isn't worth rushing purchase.

It's especially true in EV, given the rate of change and that due to China's and other toughening mandates and regulations, within 2 years lots of manufacturers will have vehicles available.

Looks like S and X are going to look like model 3 (assuming the report is accurate). So, the answer is simple. Do you like model 3 layout? Then wait (better yet, buy model 3). Do you like the current S/X layout better? Then get it before it’s too late.

The Porsche is a non-story. Will it have a Supercharger network? Will Porsche invest a dime in a charging network? And the others keep announcing electrics, but then saying 'please don't buy becuase we lose money on each car' (Fiat CEO). The other automakers are doing nothing but lip service and it's up to us to speak with our pocketbooks instead of putting up with their constant marketing stories that they don't actually believe. The other automakers will go electric only when another company has turned the corner to success - they have NO vision of the future, just accountants that measure past success to 'predict' the future. Until then they will only spread FUD, and do token implementations.

Reactions: Shock-On-T and IdaX
So you have fallen into the TESLA trap... If you are worried about getting the latest and greatest then get a lease... so every 2-3 years you will have the latest and greatest... there have been no proven leaks to market yet for TESLA's, until its out, then the typical whining begins...i just bought a TESLA and it doesn't have AP1, it doesn't have dual motors, it doesn't have the fascia upgrade, it doesn't have AP2, it doesn't have blah blah blah... either buy the car and be happy, or sit in the prediction loop of waiting and waiting and never getting the car you want...

So many people have expressed similar dilemmas for so long.

I once worried about that, but no longer do. I really was impressed by Windows 95, as I was with my Porsche 964. Neither were so spectacular a couple of years later. The Porsche 996 and Windows NT 4.0 were great then. Moving forward to 2014:
I loved my iPhone 6+ (I still have it, sent to a less impatient relative) and I was impassioned with my P85D+. The came LTE, next Ludicrous, so P85D+
Now I love my iPhone X and soon to arrive P3D.

New and better technological content comes continuously. At least with Apple and Tesla the products keep getting better as time goes on, and there are even the odd upgrades that you can buy if you wish.

I never have waited for the next big thing because technology is advancing faster and faster. For cars, phones, watches, refrigerators, air conditioners and so on, it's always teh same.

So, I buy whatever fits today and expect to change whenever something is enough better to make me think the financial hit is worth it.
My best friend still drives around in a Porsche 914. he's thinking about converting it to a BEV.
My friend wastes less money than do I. The same friend really likes to borrow my things.

So, such timing decisions are a subjective call. only you can decide your preferences. I would not think of suggesting anybody accept my logic.

I do suggest to make your own decision and have no regrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
buy it now, and get the $7500 tax credit. im not impressed with the renderings. its basically a carbon copy of the model 3, which is good for the model 3, not so much for the flagship models.

+1. The renders do not look good. The M3 is spartan to save money on parts and lower complexity. While I think it's unique and has it's appeal in that price range, I would be very disappointed if it was applied to a $100,000+ car. If they were planning to lower the price of the S/X by $30K, that would be one thing, but isn't that what the 3/Y are for?

I purchased the MX in June 2017 when my twin girls were a month away from being due, and we needed a bigger car for when they were born. I remember thinking "Damn sucks, it be clearly better to get the car in the Fall 2017 when all the new interior refresh was going to happen, and the larger battery was going to be made available." Never happened. There are a few changes from my car to the cars sold today, but they're incredibly minor, and mostly to do with packages and pricing.

The rumour of 'the next change' will be here forever. I recall all the 'HUD!' rumours since late-2016.

You'll love the car you get today. I've driven the M3 now enough to appreciate a car with a car interior. I like both, but given a choice, I prefer to drive the MX over the M3 as far as cockpit features.

Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer